Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Victoryred69

Drives: RS Victory Red/BS V6
Lol yea i cant even explain how confused i was when i saw that, i knew for sure that wasn't supposed to be like that , i haven't heard anything to be honest and the car has 11000KM on it so either it was like that from a factory bad casting or happened during those 11K?!

2010 Camaro 2LT RS M6 VR/BS
Flowmaster AMT Axle Back
Vararam Ram Air Intake
P13 Plazma Bulbs
DT Shorty Headers
Heritage Grill
Blacked-Out Taillights and Side Markers

Victoryred69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
That's weird man......take that sucker back and get a new manifold.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
PM Designs

Drives: 2011 Camaro, 99 Silverado , 69 C-10
Makes me want to check my manifold now.
PM Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #18
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Looks like a really crappy casting alright. Did you stick a finger down in that valley just inside the opening to see if there are any bits in there?

I would definitely take it in, get it on record in case of future problems, and replace it-it can't be flowing well. Keep us posted.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Around what # vin are you?
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Victoryred69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Looks like a really crappy casting alright. Did you stick a finger down in that valley just inside the opening to see if there are any bits in there?

I would definitely take it in, get it on record in case of future problems, and replace it-it can't be flowing well. Keep us posted.
Yea i tried , i stuck like my whole hand in LOL! Nothing there though... i just cleaned up the oil and put the TB back on I plan on bringing it in soon im going to hold on to the stock TB for a little longer , got to go to GM and i will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFnSNO View Post
Around what # vin are you?
I have no idea is there a way to tell???

Flowmaster AMT Axle Back
Vararam Ram Air Intake
P13 Plazma Bulbs
DT Shorty Headers
Heritage Grill

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
In the Driver side window at bottom Vin #
100,000 last 6 digits (A,B,C Before #'s for 2010,2011,2012)
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Bad casting. Hopefully it came off before it was assembled. I
I would think that it would cause a nasty problem with your valves and then the piston/cylinder if it had gone in after assembly.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Ive seen stuff like this before. Its a defect from the machining process. If that boke off while you was driving the motor would have been toast by now. Most dealers may just tell you it will be ok and nothing to worrie about, but if they do bit*h about it and they will replace the plenum.
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #24
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Since the intake is a low grade aluminum casting, if it did frag in use, it wouldn't necessarily cause catastrophic failure. There might be some melted slag evident on the spark plugs though.... Most likely it was chunked out by the boring tool when it cut the hole in production. I'd definitely take it in and get it documented and push for a replacement if that were mine.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #25
Victoryred69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFnSNO View Post
In the Driver side window at bottom Vin #
100,000 last 6 digits (A,B,C Before #'s for 2010,2011,2012)
My vin says 201432, bad build date ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_camaro View Post
Ive seen stuff like this before. Its a defect from the machining process. If that boke off while you was driving the motor would have been toast by now. Most dealers may just tell you it will be ok and nothing to worrie about, but if they do bit*h about it and they will replace the plenum.
Yea definately thinking its a casting or machining problem from factory, i dont think anything else could really cause that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
Since the intake is a low grade aluminum casting, if it did frag in use, it wouldn't necessarily cause catastrophic failure. There might be some melted slag evident on the spark plugs though.... Most likely it was chunked out by the boring tool when it cut the hole in production. I'd definitely take it in and get it documented and push for a replacement if that were mine.
So you dont think that stuff would cause it to brake something?? i might pull a plug and check that out though as you said. there were little shavings inside my motor, i pulled my drain plug i changed it for a magnetic one saw little debris, i think i gotta get some stock downpipes and throw it all back stock then bring it in

Flowmaster AMT Axle Back
Vararam Ram Air Intake
P13 Plazma Bulbs
DT Shorty Headers
Heritage Grill

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Beauwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred69 View Post
My vin says 201432, bad build date ?

Yea definately thinking its a casting or machining problem from factory, i dont think anything else could really cause that?

So you dont think that stuff would cause it to brake something?? i might pull a plug and check that out though as you said. there were little shavings inside my motor, i pulled my drain plug i changed it for a magnetic one saw little debris, i think i gotta get some stock downpipes and throw it all back stock then bring it in
It's pretty soft stuff. I doubt there were any big chunks from that. Looks like it chipped during the boring process though there may have been a few little pieces when the ran the engine the first few times.

Remember, there's no such thing as an aluminum magnet so, those filings were most likely just the normal break in shavings and chips you get in a new engine. That's why it's so important to do the oil change at 600 miles. Gotta get that stuff out of the engine.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #27
Victoryred69

Yea I forgot that aluminum isn't magnetic, well I just don't want to go on thinking something going to grenade in my motor ... I've done 3 oil changes on the car, one at 2200km* one at 6800 and one at 11000km, I take good care of it always watch the oil and everything, guess only thing plausible would be manufacture defect, could it cause loss in performance ??

Flowmaster AMT Axle Back
Vararam Ram Air Intake
P13 Plazma Bulbs
DT Shorty Headers
Heritage Grill

Old 09-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #28
Beauwulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred69 View Post
Yea I forgot that aluminum isn't magnetic, well I just don't want to go on thinking something going to grenade in my motor ... I've done 3 oil changes on the car, one at 2200km* one at 6800 and one at 11000km, I take good care of it always watch the oil and everything, guess only thing plausible would be manufacture defect, could it cause loss in performance ??
Yes, it could cause a loss in performance. But, given the flow turbulence caused by the catch valley just inside the inlet, it could actually improve flow! Without checking the intake with a flow bench, I couldn't tell you for sure.