Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
ThatGirlFriday

Drives: the boys crazy
lol one guy had similar issue and you jumped ship?

what if you were the only two in the state!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
I think you threw out the baby with the bath water on this one. And I think you're going to be upset with a Jeep as a daily driver. Even with the 3.6, they're slow as balls, and honestly they have better manners off road than they do on-road.

I would know. I have a Camaro SS and an '09 Jeep wrangler.

Patience, grasshopper...A torque converter isn't something a dealership just has laying around in most cases. If I had to guess, they might have had to pull one from the assembly line. FYI--the 6L50E HydraMatic is made in Strasbourg, France. The part may have come over by boat. Or, your dealership might just be slow in locating a unit in stock. And a single torque converter mishap shouldn't discredit the entire vehicle as being dependable. That series of transmissions has been used in both GM and BMW applications for years. Maybe this year they had a mfg defect, but I wouldn't suspect it of being a bad design overall.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Drives: The Black Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
I think you threw out the baby with the bath water on this one. And I think you're going to be upset with a Jeep as a daily driver. Even with the 3.6, they're slow as balls, and honestly they have better manners off road than they do on-road.

I would know. I have a Camaro SS and an '09 Jeep wrangler.

Patience, grasshopper...A torque converter isn't something a dealership just has laying around in most cases. If I had to guess, they might have had to pull one from the assembly line. FYI--the 6L50E HydraMatic is made in Strasbourg, France. The part may have come over by boat. Or, your dealership might just be slow in locating a unit in stock. And a single torque converter mishap shouldn't discredit the entire vehicle as being dependable. That series of transmissions has been used in both GM and BMW applications for years. Maybe this year they had a mfg defect, but I wouldn't suspect it of being a bad design overall.
The stats for 2012 models would surprise you. The new "Pentastar" engine has 285 hp, just a few less than my Camaro had. Anyway, I'm not looking for a lot of power, just a SUV I can have some fun with. Cheers.

[COLOR=seagreen]Mods Installed:
Backup sensors
American Racing Rogue Wheels
AAC LED Interior Light Kit

Ordered:
BlingLights Fog Light Kit
AAC Footwell Ambient Lighting Kit
Complete Lamp Protection Kit
(Smoked Finish)
PitchBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Should've gotten an '11 'vert.

Good luck with your new Jeep.
Thanks my friend. Good luck to you too.

Backup sensors

Ordered:
(Smoked Finish)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
PitchBlack
(with a little chrome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
So you're saying that Jeeps are trouble free?
Not at all. Just saying that I owned a Honda for 10 years and when something did need replacing (rare), the part was overnighted and they worked on it the next day. I jumped Honda's ship to give GM another try. I am simply jumping to another ship, another car to see how it goes.
Peace.

Backup sensors

Ordered:
(Smoked Finish)
Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
good thing you have the pentastar... the old 3.8s were POS'. I almost bought a jeep before my camaro but they wouldnt budge on the price, esp since it was an '11 leftover. On the other hand im glad i didnt buy it, had the 3.8 and my gf's 2010 liberty with 27k miles is ready to grenade itself (eating coolant, ticking in the motor and transmission is eating fluid). after all of that the dealers say nothing is wrong.

1986 Camaro IROC-Z - 305 TPI, cammed, GMMG exhaust, t56 6Spd swap, custom headlights with halos
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
Supersport2011L99
Yellowbird

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS/ L99
Yea my buddy and his soon to be wife got a jeep sahara wrangler... It's got lot's of space for groceries, definitely I big bonus
Supersport2011L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
kylenewman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I just traded my 2010 2ss on a wrangler sport s. I needed a year round car and wasn't using the camaro enough and wanted to sell it to someone who would enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed.
kylenewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
Fiveg56

Drives: -
bummer
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #24
mel0629
Black Madness

Drives: Black 2012 1LT/RS
same thing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchBlack View Post
Not at all. Just saying that I owned a Honda for 10 years and when something did need replacing (rare), the part was overnighted and they worked on it the next day. I jumped Honda's ship to give GM another try. I am simply jumping to another ship, another car to see how it goes.
Peace.
hey i've had the same problem with my new 2012 2ls got it about 6mos ago and then around 4-5000 miles the torque converter went and it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. I was somewhat upset but what could I do It did make me feel like crap cause I just poured all my hard earned money into this car and already something happens. But I cant trade it cause I just got it and owe to much...so I'm gonna MOD the heck out of it and be happy.
mel0629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
LonghornLove
My Grille so Icey

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel0629 View Post
hey i've had the same problem with my new 2012 2ls got it about 6mos ago and then around 4-5000 miles the torque converter went and it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. I was somewhat upset but what could I do It did make me feel like crap cause I just poured all my hard earned money into this car and already something happens. But I cant trade it cause I just got it and owe to much...so I'm gonna MOD the heck out of it and be happy.

shoulda got an 8

haha jk, things happen, I know it sucks to have your new car mess up so early. But after it is fixed, it probably won't happen again

My a/c went out around 6 k miles. They had the car for 4 days. It sucks but you get over it when it's back with you.

L99
LonghornLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
So you're saying that Jeeps are trouble free?

used to be a service manager at a Jeep Dealership, they got lots of problems but like most vehicles most don't pop up till you have had it for a couple years. anything man made is not perfect!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #27
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
Traded the camaro in for a Jeep….say it isnt so….

Guess I'm one of those guys that just refuses to get rid of something to get something else.

Started off with a Trans Am…. daily driver /street / strip car…. needed something more friendly for DD so on came the SS…. Moved to South Dakota and needed a winter vehicle… On came the Jeep LOL

It's actually kinda sad, since I've gotten the Jeep I drive the crap out of it and the TA and SS just chill in the garage… Jeep is definitely not the fastest but with 35s and a lift it'll get you were you wanna go LOL
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc-z86 View Post
good thing you have the pentastar... the old 3.8s were POS'. I almost bought a jeep before my camaro but they wouldnt budge on the price, esp since it was an '11 leftover. On the other hand im glad i didnt buy it, had the 3.8 and my gf's 2010 liberty with 27k miles is ready to grenade itself (eating coolant, ticking in the motor and transmission is eating fluid). after all of that the dealers say nothing is wrong.
Actually the minivan 3.8 used in the Wranglers from '07-'11 were great engines. Simple, solid, reliable. Just not very "quick" in a 4,000lb vehicle with only 200hp.

The engine in your GF's Liberty is a 3.7, not a 3.8. The 3.7's are not as stout as the 3.8's are.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote