Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Ok I have Clayed, Glazed, and Waxed the exposed carbon fiber hood insert. I noticed this milky haze a few days ago when I began my first detail. It isn't noticable in direct sunlight only when it's in the garage when you look at it at just the right angle can you tell its there. The picture only shows one there is another on the opposite side but it is smaller.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Would you make a warranty claim? The car has 450 miles on it. And with the exception of a small paint defect under the hood near the fan shroud it is in perfect condition.

I apologize for the dissatisfaction you are experiencing. Have you taken it to the dealership to see if it something they could cover under warranty? Please let us know!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
my dads car had the same haze thats in that pic and it just needed to be polished out. i am assuming the dots in the picture are the reflection of your garage door hinges
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Ive put multiple layers of zaino on my ECF insert with no problem whatsoever.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Nailn it

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
I had an issue with mine and the dealer swapped it out, no problems.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
ZL1LEGEND
ZL1 - The Legend Returns!

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Had the same haze and 3M imperial hand glaze cured it. That said mine has the purple discoloration (from day 1). Still not sure if I'm taking it in for replacement. Its minor and sometimes it scares me having the dealer fix something that ain't broken.
ZL1LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1LEGEND View Post
Had the same haze and 3M imperial hand glaze cured it. That said mine has the purple discoloration (from day 1). Still not sure if I'm taking it in for replacement. Its minor and sometimes it scares me having the dealer fix something that ain't broken.
I hate having the dealer fix stuff.

Anyone have a problem with the clear coat on the CF Insert bubbling and chipping? Looks like heat might have caused it.
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
I and another user had a problem with our ECFs. I posted a thread about it back in the summer. I think if you search "attention ecf" you'll find it. Either way, mine was cracked in several places. GM swapped it out really damn quickly considering the ECF was on constraint at the time.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Kinda looks like someone's hand/glove touched it before it was completely dry/hard. If it can't be buffed out, have them order a new one and replace it. When it comes in, I'd put a coat or two/three of sealer before they/dealer installs. Why not, only takes a few minutes.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
If they do replace it, PM OVERPAR73, he may want it even though it has a very minor flaw. He should be able to get it really cheap. When my damaged rim was replaced the service manager said he was putting it on eBay to try and recoup some of the money. All it had was a scrape, and someone could easily fix it up.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
Ccasey

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
I have the same haze in mine. I think it was there from the start - I only have 150 miles on my car.

Will check with the dealer next week when I go pick up my plates.

-Chris
Ccasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I'm still waiting for a resolution on my insert. The Service Rep I have assigned to my case seams to not understand engish, since I have told her by message everytime I get a message from her at home, of course I'm not there during the day. I have told five times now, by leaving her a message each time, to call me on my cell phone "do not not call my home". I have actually only talked to her one time, when I was home sick on the very first contact with her.

I'm not impressed at all with the customer service I've received so far. I'm ust hoping for a resolution before spring really gets here and I can finally drive the car.

I'm hoping Brandon can get something done!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
If they do replace it, PM OVERPAR73, he may want it even though it has a very minor flaw. He should be able to get it really cheap. When my damaged rim was replaced the service manager said he was putting it on eBay to try and recoup some of the money. All it had was a scrape, and someone could easily fix it up.
If they replace it, the dealer has to send the defective part back to GM. OP won't get it.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Here is a picture of the flaw in my ecf insert.

Name:  DSC01747 - 13 ZL1 ecf flaw.JPG
Views: 536
Size:  249.8 KB
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #28
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
INFORMATION
Bulletin No.: 12-08-63-001
Date: June 28, 2012
Subject: Information on Camaro ZL1 Carbon Fiber Hood Air Extractor Appearance
Models:
2012-2013 Chevrolet Camaro with RPO ZL1

Use this bulletin to help the customer understand the appearance of the carbon fiber hood air extractor on their Camaro with RPO ZL1
With RPO B92
The appearance concerns with "Raw" carbon fiber (non painted) may include, but are not limited to, uneven material color or weaves, wrinkles or "waves" in the fabric, light or dark fish scale type spots, loose threads, fabric seams or joints.
Types of "Carbon Fiber" Vehicle Applications
Most automotive "carbon fiber" trim used on vehicles is a cosmetic applique that gives the look carbon fiber but is not structural Composite Carbon Fiber. This material has a consistent weave and color appearance.
Structural Composite Carbon Fiber generally has visible fabric inconsistencies and a yellow or milky appearance unless it is sanded, clear coated and polished to give the panel a more finished look.
Real Composite Carbon Fiber Appearance
Every Composite Carbon Fiber panel or part has a unique appearance based on the color and clarity of the resin, the pattern and layout of the fabric and the shape of the part. The weave of the material, the color variation of the fabric in the weave and the layout of the layers varies slightly from part to part and no two pieces are identical or "perfect" in appearance. This is similar to the way a natural wood or a hand made piece of ceramic or pottery varies from piece to piece.
In the case of the ZL1 hood insert, the part is inspected, wet sanded to smooth the surface, coated with a UV (ultra violet) protective clear coat and polished to a high gloss finish.
Addressing Customer Concerns
The following images display some acceptable non repairable Composite Carbon Fiber appearance traits:

Light and dark spots, sometimes described as "Fish Scales."

Wrinkles or "waves" in the fabric weave.

Uneven material color, color shift.
Repair Procedures With RPO B92
If there are minor scuffs or abrasions on the UV protective clear coat surface, hand polishing with a mild polish such as 3M(TM) Finesse-It(TM) II Glaze, Part #059283 is recommended. No machine polishing is recommended.
If there are small dimples or impressions around the perimeter of the insert, loosen the threaded fasteners (retaining nuts) andRe-Tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb in).
Repair Procedures Without RPO B92
Camaro ZL1 vehicles may also be equipped with a hood air extractor that is finished with a conventional paint finish. If there is a flaw in the finish on the Ashen Grey gloss painted finish, conventional polishing methods can be used to correct minor surface flaws and scuffs. If the panel is finished in a semi-gloss black, there are no recommended repair procedures for surface imperfections.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote