Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
GRNWTHENV

Drives: 2011 Synergy 1LT RS
It is a great read. Thank you camarodreams07. Helped me a lot.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #16
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
Still reading; there's just too much information

some stuff I had to substitute for as Autozone and O'Rieley's isn't offering the D1010/APC from meguiar's so that's out and will have to order that online nobody seems to be offering a generally good quality APC anymore unless I got Adam's
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
Still reading; there's just too much information

some stuff I had to substitute for as Autozone and O'Rieley's isn't offering the D1010/APC from meguiar's so that's out and will have to order that online nobody seems to be offering a generally good quality APC anymore unless I got Adam's
I really have no idea what you're trying to get at here. Are you saying you won't order online? If so, you'll continue to get bottom of the barrel products. You can stop reading my thread because almost nothing on there is sold in stores.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #18
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
There's a lot of bad information in this thread.
Out of curiousity, what did I say that was incorrect? I guess the paint doesn't "set", but along the same thought process.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #19
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I really have no idea what you're trying to get at here. Are you saying you won't order online? If so, you'll continue to get bottom of the barrel products. You can stop reading my thread because almost nothing on there is sold in stores.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
no not at all; I do order online if its something I can't get locally (there's quite a bit of stuff I can't get locally actually) or if the price is significant enough to warrant a purchase online vs using up my energy and gasoline to go get it.

I like Meguiar's wheel cleaner so far; doesn't smell nearly as bad as Armorall which smells like severely rotten eggs so its going in the trash but I do have to say that stuff makes my hands nice and oddly silky... time to wear gloves.

Anyway honestly doesn't look like I will need APC either since it can't be had locally anyhow and for what I wanted it for I got what I think is good enough.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #20
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary24 View Post
So I just bought some polish, wax and a clay bar from Adams. Just waiting for it to come in. Question for you guys is how long do I have to wait with a new car to clay bar, polish and wax it. Door sticker says build date is 10/13. Does the paint need many months to set?
As mentioned, there's no need to wait on a brand new car. You can literally throw some wax on it right as it rolls off the final assemble line since the paint is baked/cured in the factory before the final assembly begins.

I tossed in some replies, in red, below:

Quote:
ok so I'm having a little trouble deciding on what products; I threw out the armorall as the sprayer wasn't working and it smelled kinda funny so I quit using it to be safe.

Adam's looks like good product but I can't justify paying $30 when I can pay $15; obviously what I pay for is what I get but everybody seems to recommend meguiar's products they even have the clay, the carnaubas wax liquid & paste, etc

Sorry I can't justify the price of Adam's when I can get almost the same thing for 1/2 the price

If you're shopping on price alone, then we will never be your product of choice. There's a massive difference between the price you pay and the value you get when shopping for your detailing goods.

I don't know anything about car cleaning products except for the armorall wheel cleaner and tire dressing and interior cleaner as that's what my parents used to use many years ago but not anymore. We reverted to just using dawn dish soap! haha :(

Things have changed in this industry A LOT since since the days of your parents caring for their cars. Selection was very limited back then, and now, the choices are virtually endless, relatively speaking.

Cruise through our videos when you have some free time. They answer nearly every possible question you could have as far as products and processes, not only ones specific to our line, but many techniques in general:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

I've been having trouble finding Meguiar's D101/APC but it turns out the store doesn't call it by D101 its more like D10101 but they know it as APC and it turns out my local store doesn't have it so gotta visit another local one which is fine too.

So two questions: what do you use for interior cleaning/protectant? I have a lot of plastic and lots of leather so I want something that will work good with both either separately or as a combination whichever works best. The other question is glass/window cleaning; it seems that RainX is the way to go???

For interior cleaning/conditioning, our Total Interior Detailer is ideal for a well-maintained or nearly new interior. If both cleans and protects, so it's quick and easy. If you need more cleaning power or deeper conditioning, look into our Leather and Interior Twins, both the Cleaner and Conditioner.

For glass, our Glass Cleaner is extremely popular. No alcohol or ammonia in it, so it's safe for tinted windows. If you like how Rain-X works, you'll be blown away at the difference between it and our Glass Sealant. There's close to 4X the active ingredient in it, so it works at lower speeds and lasts much longer.
You will also use much less product to yield better results.

Lastly... I've noticed people mention something about leaf blowers... great idea but isn't that a BAD idea as it will blow debri all over the place (you know there IS debri on the ground right???)

I may pick up a leaf blower I like the idea of touchless dry

Blowers are a great tool, but be sure to use an electric one, preferably one that both filters and heats the air is ideal.

btw what about bug & tar remover? Just use the wash or should I get a specific product for that?

This is another use for APC. Since it's citrus-based, it works very well on tar/oil/anything petroleum-based.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #21
mynetdude

Good replies, I will consider adam's next time when I start getting low on cleaning products right now I have a few items that I must get and the budget is pretty tight so for now price is my choice and of course what I pay for is what I get.

I don't know of any leaf blower that can filter and heat but maybe next month I will look into a proper blower (I saw the air force blowers but unless I didn't pay attention the blower nozzle doesn't seem big enough to dry a large portion of the car

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-471-a...-metrovac.aspx

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
yep I saw that that's a good vac; I've seen some others as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #24
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
It has been answered, but there is no need to wait, at all, for any process on your new car.

As far as a repainted car, 30-90s is the norm, but there is some debate on how likely this is. I was apart of a very good conversation between the old chemist for PPG and the a chemist from a well known paint manufacturer. While some of the terminology was over my head, they both agreed that as soon as the paint no longer smells (2-5 days) you can seal the paint.

Today's paint is chemically similar to plastic and crosslinks as it cures. They both agreed that the idea of waiting 30-90 days stems from the dawn of water-based paints, which could take a very very long time to cure in their infancy. It was an interesting conversation.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #25
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Good replies, I will consider adam's next time when I start getting low on cleaning products right now I have a few items that I must get and the budget is pretty tight so for now price is my choice and of course what I pay for is what I get.

I don't know of any leaf blower that can filter and heat but maybe next month I will look into a proper blower (I saw the air force blowers but unless I didn't pay attention the blower nozzle doesn't seem big enough to dry a large portion of the car

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Check out Autopia-CarCare, we currently stock 80 premium car care brands, including all of the popular ones that you will see the best detailers in the world use.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #26
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
my Painter stated that you can clay, wax and polish as soon as it is cooled from the paint booth. it is what they do at the dealership. the times have changed so much and paint is set and cured after being baked.