Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I think Chevy has said the 2016 SS will be close to the ZL1 in performance and it will have Mag ride as an option.

The smartest thing to do is wait two weeks and check out the announcement. You might kick yourself later.

But the current ZL1 is a very cool ride. Be sure it's the Camaro you want.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
WSSICK

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
How happy will you be driving a car that gets 18 MPG in a country where gasoline is $9 a gallon?
If military, he gets fuel rations. The cost is greatly reduced from what the local nationals pay per liter/gallon.

The up side will be driving it on the Autobahn.
1996 Metallic Gray Ford Taurus GL
WSSICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:56 AM   #17
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
I would personally wait, no one here knows if there going to have a top dog first year or what. They might just surprise everyone, especially with everything going on with Ford and Dodge. I wouldn't rule it out.
If it were me I would definitely be seeing the 6 gen. First. It's way to close not too.
I love my car but I've had mine now for a bit. If the new SS out performs our current ZL1's (and it very well might) then where is the justification on spending the money for the Z ?...
It's a couple more weeks. Wait you'll be happy you did even if you don't like what you see. Regret sucks!!!
My 2 cents...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I think Chevy has said the 2016 SS will be close to the ZL1 in performance and it will have Mag ride as an option.

The smartest thing to do is wait two weeks and check out the announcement. You might kick yourself later.

But the current ZL1 is a very cool ride. Be sure it's the Camaro you want.
Not close to ZL1 in performance, they said it will have some of the magic bits of a ZL1. They're just talking about MagRide.

The SS will not be supercharged (power upgrades will not be as easy and cheap), it won't make more than 450hp from the factory and the suspension will still need to be softer than the ZL1 (and the 1LE too probably) since it needs to appeal to people cruising on the street. Though MagRide will help fix that quite a bit.

It's going to be awesome, but theres no way it will come close to the ZL1 from the factory.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I would not order a car while you are over there. I don't know how long your assignment is but you are going to be moved in a relatively short period of time and you are going to be stuck with the bill shipping the car over. You may be able to sell your other car and ship the new Camaro home but unless they have got much more efficient than they were when I was in, your car is going to be tied up in the ports and shipping for about a month. I would love to have a ZL1 on the autobahn but really don't think it will be worth it to order one, wait for building and shipping once you are already there.

As far as the 6th gen SS, I think it is going to be what the C7 stingray is to the corvette. The C7 stingray with Z51 option can run with the C6 carbon Z06 on most race tracks, in case you are not familiar, that was the old corvette track package king for GM..... The new Stingray is relatively light and runs way faster than its spec sheet would suggest. (and the spec sheet is not bad). I think the new gen 6 SS will match the ZL1 on most road courses right from the factory and that is a huge accomplishment.

I waited about 8 months after the C7 was "released" and still did not have a build allotment from my dealership. I think if you wait for the Gen 6 Camaro you probably will wait at least 6 months after you order a car before you actually see it. I kind of think the release is so close that at this point if I was looking at a new Camaro I would wait on the new Gen 6 but I'm old enough that waiting a whole year for a car doesn't seem that bad any more...plus I have some other stuff to drive in the mean time.

Honestly if I was back in that situation I would start looking for a used Porsche locally to pick up, the credit union on post should finance it. When you get orders to PCS you can sell it and buy something brand new from the dealers in the states.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Not close to ZL1 in performance, they said it will have some of the magic bits of a ZL1. They're just talking about MagRide.

The SS will not be supercharged (power upgrades will not be as easy and cheap), it won't make more than 450hp from the factory and the suspension will still need to be softer than the ZL1 (and the 1LE too probably) since it needs to appeal to people cruising on the street. Though MagRide will help fix that quite a bit.

It's going to be awesome, but theres no way it will come close to the ZL1 from the factory.
Dude your way off. The car doesn't need to have equivalent horsepower to the current ZL1. Weight is everything and it's going to be a lot lighter, 3 or 4 hundred pounds. If you think the performance isn't going to be Dam close your truly mistaken.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #21
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Dude your way off. The car doesn't need to have equivalent horsepower to the current ZL1. Weight is everything and it's going to be a lot lighter, 3 or 4 hundred pounds. If you think the performance isn't going to be Dam close your truly mistaken.

Dude, I'm way off? How do you know? This is just my opinion. Do you know something about the car that I don't? At this point we're all just guessing.

You're saying a 2016 Camaro SS will be "damn close" to a 2015 ZL1? We'll see.

It will likely have MagRide but it still needs to be softer and smoother and higher ground clearance (body roll), probably narrower tires (less grip and greater breaking distance) etc, etc -- the SS is a daily driver car that needs to meet a budget. Weight is not everything -- if it were Honda Civic's and Mini Coopers would rule the world.

I already said it will be awesome, but it wont out perform the ZL1, it will probably outperform the 1LE.

Even if it did outperform the ZL1, the ZL1 still has more performance potential. All the upgraded bits are stronger and built to handle track duty and high power application. Not to mention the ease of adding power to the ZL1 is greater than the SS.

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #22
TobysZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Dude, I'm way off? How do you know? This is just my opinion. Do you know something about the car that I don't? At this point we're all just guessing.

You're saying a 2016 Camaro SS will be "damn close" to a 2015 ZL1? We'll see.

It will likely have MagRide but it still needs to be softer and smoother and higher ground clearance (body roll), probably narrower tires (less grip and greater breaking distance) etc, etc -- the SS is a daily driver car that needs to meet a budget. Weight is not everything -- if it were Honda Civic's and Mini Coopers would rule the world.

I already said it will be awesome, but it wont out perform the ZL1, it will probably outperform the 1LE.

Even if it did outperform the ZL1, the ZL1 still has more performance potential. All the upgraded bits are stronger and built to handle track duty and high power application. Not to mention the ease of adding power to the ZL1 is greater than the SS.
Not going to argue with you. So this will be my last post for now on the matter. You clearly have your opinion and I have mine. Who cares if your wrong but when the new one comes out I'll be back to this thread for sure to tell you..... told you so!
Also as far as civics and mini Cooper's comment you made. Apples to apples, put a V8 in those cars like the SS will have and...... YEAH DA they would rule the world.
Weight is everything when your talking about 400 plus horsepower.
I mean this is pretty much common sense man, the current SS is not that far off the performance of a ZL1 now, what do you think a newer lighter more refined 6 Gen is going to do. Ahhh I give up.. wait you'll see.....

P.S. You emphasize '2015 ZL1' but you do know whether it's a 2015 or 2012 or 2013 or 2014 ZL1, it's the same power. Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #23
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
you to are both right and wrong at the same time. total opposite side of argument that ZL1 guys are hesitant to talk about. at the end of the day. yes, the new SS will be the fastest SS to date. I believe the new SS's "HERO" times will run very close to the current ZL1's average times. With that said... Zl1's saving grace is its F/I... for example bolt on 16 SS (no heads and cams) vs stock ZL1... dare I say... will go to the SS. but a bolt on 16 SS VS bolt on ZL1....the ZL1 will walk away. NOW this is a completely stupid conversation anyway. Because, and somehow we still get suckered into it.... ANYTHING can be made fast with money. F/I kits will be out for the SS within the first month... easy.... So in the end who gives a sh*t?

It will come down to looks. if the 16's look good then they will be considered the superior car. not which one is faster stock...
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #24
TobysZL1

Were talking stock for stock, not modded obviously.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #25
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
ok, and that was addressed as well in my previous post. however, I don't think the OP cares as much as you two do about the performance as much as you think.

I went through the same thing. Its about buying a car that is not cheap and having it already be considered old off the lot because of a incoming new generation. Say if Chevy came out with a power bump for the zl1 in 2015... say it was 650hp at the box and there was no question that it would out perform the 16's... or even if the new SS was the same weight as the current model but with a new a LT1 and a redesigned body keeping the top dog spot secured for the ZL1.

People will still be asking if they should wait to purchase 15 ZL1s... so my point is performance is secondary in this argument.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #26
Mechzl1

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Seriously... it comes down to looks, everything can be pumped up. Unless you just like keeping cars stock forever, then I guess it matters.
Mechzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:31 AM   #27
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobysZL1 View Post
Not going to argue with you. So this will be my last post for now on the matter. You clearly have your opinion and I have mine. Who cares if your wrong but when the new one comes out I'll be back to this thread for sure to tell you..... told you so!
Also as far as civics and mini Cooper's comment you made. Apples to apples, put a V8 in those cars like the SS will have and...... YEAH DA they would rule the world.
Weight is everything when your talking about 400 plus horsepower.
I mean this is pretty much common sense man, the current SS is not that far off the performance of a ZL1 now, what do you think a newer lighter more refined 6 Gen is going to do. Ahhh I give up.. wait you'll see.....

P.S. You emphasize '2015 ZL1' but you do know whether it's a 2015 or 2012 or 2013 or 2014 ZL1, it's the same power. Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

Damn dude, get someone to scratch that itch up your ass -- don't be shaking your stinky finger at me.

In any case, I don't really care -- I hope the 2016 SS is great -- you just seemed so adamant about me being wrong when you don't know any more about the 2016 SS than anyone else. I just that that's silly.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 AM   #28
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock427 View Post
ok, and that was addressed as well in my previous post. however, I don't think the OP cares as much as you two do about the performance as much as you think.

I went through the same thing. Its about buying a car that is not cheap and having it already be considered old off the lot because of a incoming new generation. Say if Chevy came out with a power bump for the zl1 in 2015... say it was 650hp at the box and there was no question that it would out perform the 16's... or even if the new SS was the same weight as the current model but with a new a LT1 and a redesigned body keeping the top dog spot secured for the ZL1.

People will still be asking if they should wait to purchase 15 ZL1s... so my point is performance is secondary in this argument.
I actually don't really care -- I just threw my opinion out there like everyone else. I guess I just struck a cord.