Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Code R6P View Post
Over inflating your tires will just wear out the middle of the tread first, ride harder, and have less grip than one properly inflated.

I believe the pressure recommendations given on the door post are for "loaded" vehicles.
The max pressures of the tires are 50 psi, the manufacturer recommends 36 psi cold which is affixed to the door. Proper inflation is 36 psi...Heated up, they hit 39-40.

Wouldn't loaded vehicles pressures increase due to the added weight? My Harley calls for increasing the rear pressure 5 psi for a rider.

The sticker also shows the maximum load rating.

I think you should read the sticker again.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I screwed mine up too when I first got my SS. Follow the programming directions in the manual and you will be fine. This is for the people with the ability to rotate their tires so that the proper tire matches the DIC.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
...IMO is stupid/annoying. I routinely inspect my tires, manually check the pressure, and add air as needed. Never had a problem with this method. I really don't understand why a Camaro has to have the same features as a Cadillac.
The reason they have this "feature" is because Ford asked Firestone to make cheap tires for their explorers and they did. And when the tires pressure dropped below spec they became excessively prone to tread separation which cause a very large number of accidents. Not sure how old you are but a few years ago (2002) there was a lot of lawsuits and Ford and Firestone shelled out a lot of money. And the Government passed laws requiring new cars to have sensors after a certain date so all new models have them .

So you can...Thank Ford?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #18
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
actually firestone didnt make a cheap tire,they made a tire that was supposed to be run at 32psi and ford decided that the explorer would ride better if they had a tire pressure of 30 psi,firestone told ford that the tire was not made to run under inflated but ford chose to run it,rest is history,but cheap tire wasnt the problem
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Angelina

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Tires should be filled to 36 psi cold and will usually heat up to 40 in summer, 37-38 in rain and 37 after a 20 mile 40 degree day drive. Maybe 34 cold in the summer, but not in the winter. You are killing the treadwear and rolling resistance.

I wouldn't recommend 32 psi cold with these tires, especially this time of year. JMO

My tires were topped off a few weeks ago with 1-2 psi each when the temps dropped.

Information Overload...Will you come service my tires?? ...LOL J/K

Drives: 2SS RS, IOM, Auto, Sunroof

Delivered: 5/15/09
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
max is 35psi,i personally air them to 32psi cold and then when the tire heats up im at 35psi,thats how i roll
and you're going to prematurely need new tires. the recommended pressure is 36psi COLD all the way around. read the manual and the label on the driver's door jamb.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #21
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
actually firestone didnt make a cheap tire,they made a tire that was supposed to be run at 32psi and ford decided that the explorer would ride better if they had a tire pressure of 30 psi,firestone told ford that the tire was not made to run under inflated but ford chose to run it,rest is history,but cheap tire wasnt the problem
Either way they both screwed up and paid the price, but they were definitely flawed in design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesto...re_controversy

It's Wiki so take it with a grain of salt but still an interesting read.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
kozzmo49

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs
lol i was at the drive thru in arbys... and i was next in line to get my food, but it was taking FOREVER. so i decided to mess around with the computer and reset the tire pressure screen. little did i kno it would beep, almost make me piss my pants, and then leave me red in the face bc everyone thought i was that jackass who was honking to get faster service lol
kozzmo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #23
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Drives: RUBY!! 2010 2SS/RS RJT Camaro
Quote:
There was also an issue with Firestone Tires in the early 70's. Before the Explorer was even in production... Mine was one of thousands that separated while driving... thankfully no injuries were sustained... just had a blow out in the middle of nowhere... at night. I was driving a Mercury Montego.
SRVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
Evokatana

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well, I accidently reset mine today. Rear tire was low compared to the other 3, so I stopped on the way to work to put some air in it. Before I got out I pushed the set button and it asked if I wanted to learn....sure, I thought and I pushed again, and went out to fill the rear tire, car started the beep process, now I have no tire readings. I have to see if I can get this to reset tonight. Feel so stupid, but glad to see others did the same thing.
Evokatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
The max pressures of the tires are 50 psi, the manufacturer recommends 36 psi cold which is affixed to the door. Proper inflation is 36 psi...Heated up, they hit 39-40.

Wouldn't loaded vehicles pressures increase due to the added weight? My Harley calls for increasing the rear pressure 5 psi for a rider.

The sticker also shows the maximum load rating.

I think you should read the sticker again.
Just fill it with Nitrogen and the pressure will remain constant 36Psi all year round.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote