Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
can anyone say dead horse?

GM is going to continue to do exactly what they are doing. fixing shafts as they break.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
My VIN# is 20801 but mine was one that was held in QC for 37 days over this issue and maybe others for all I know. It would have been nice to know that they definitely, for sure, changed out my output shaft while in QC but I'll never know. I've been wanting to test or try the launch control feature but fear I'm gonna break something. Guess I will have to try it out before warranty expires at some point and hope all goes well. Confirmation that mine was already changed out is all that I would like at this point but doubt that will happen...
Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Still waiting GM
Old 11-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
My VIN# is 20801 but mine was one that was held in QC for 37 days over this issue and maybe others for all I know. It would have been nice to know that they definitely, for sure, changed out my output shaft while in QC but I'll never know. I've been wanting to test or try the launch control feature but fear I'm gonna break something. Guess I will have to try it out before warranty expires at some point and hope all goes well. Confirmation that mine was already changed out is all that I would like at this point but doubt that will happen...
Fascinating. How do you know for sure your car was held in QC for this reason? Did GM let you know at some point when you called their customer service or was this your dealer letting you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
can anyone say dead horse?

GM is going to continue to do exactly what they are doing. fixing shafts as they break.
The only "dead horse" we want to see are Mustangs at the track. We don't want to see a "dead Camaro" or a "dead driver"because of this issue. BTW, you cannot fix someone who is dead last I heard. Just ask relatives of that family of four that died in their Lexus when their floormat got stuck on the pedal and they couldn't stop.. How long did it take Toyota to acknowledge that a problem existed and have them recall all vehicles affected? GM needs to take a lesson from them..
Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
I'VE BEEN VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS ISSUE SINCE I FIRST BECAME AWARE OF THE PROBLEM IN LATE JUNE, I HAVE YET TO LAUNCH THE CAR HARD OR USE THE LAUNCH CONTROL FOR FEAR OF BREAKING MY CAR. I KNOW I NEED TO DO IT SOON TO SEE IF IT WILL BREAK, BUT HATE TO DESTROY SOMETHING IF IT CAN BE CORRECTED.
VIN # 12179
Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Fascinating. How do you know for sure your car was held in QC for this reason? Did GM let you know at some point when you called their customer service or was this your dealer letting you know?

The only "dead horse" we want to see are Mustangs at the track. We don't want to see a "dead Camaro" or a "dead driver"because of this issue.
The dealer let me know...but only after I asked them to please check for me because it was taking too long to ship. This happened right about the time the output shaft issue came to light. I told my dealer I suspected mine was caught up in the 1000 or so that went to "Warehouse 13" from the plant because of this issue (info from this website). They did as I asked and confirmed my suspicions. I asked if I would ever get a report telling me what all was done to my car to be in QC that long and the dealer told me unfortunately, I would not get any such report from GM. My car has been solid as a rock so I guess they went over it with a fine-toothed comb (I hope).
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
If mine busts, I'll take it in to the Stealership to fix it. Unless and until then...I ain't gonna worry about it.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't have a Camaro yet, but my concern is for GM as a company. After a tumultuous year, the last thing GM needs is a media target. Let's fix this before the cost is more than the simple dollars and cents of repairs. A lot more is at stake. If you're from GM, you probably looked at the quarterly report. The numbers were still in the red. We need to get this financial condition under control before the next batch of anti-GM journalists sink their preying teeth into a dangerous issue.

There is one more argument for fixing this problem. In the automotive world, there are a lot of manufacturers. We have niche auto producers, like Ferrari, and we have big players like GM and Toyota. Toyota has had a long line of complaints and problems this year, including America's largest recall. Do we want consumers to lose faith in all automakers because the top two manufacturers cannot do business safely? Is that the message we want to send to buyers?

I also want to post a warning to Camaro5. If we make this too big of a topic, we'll again be the source for Jalopnik and Leftlane when they post an article about this issue. Do we want to be the reason this becomes a media circus?
warn 145:159 ban
Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #23
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
You guys better start using other means to get the answer you want.

We have a rule here at Camaro5 that continuous threads created on the same subject will be deleted if there is nothing new to add to the topic.

Some topics from the past that fell into this.

Hood stripes
RP6 delays
ABL
PrePro headlights
Government Motors
Dealer allocation

Let me just make something clear. Yes GM monitors this forum. And I don't mean through our members like Number 3 or Fbodfather. They watch this site anonymously.

So yes this is one avenue to have you voices heard.

However, we (camaro5) have no ability to move you issue up the chain with GM. We truly don't have any inside contact that will help with an issue like this. FWIW.

We will allow this thread to stand, I won't sticky it. But you all should be calling GM, sending letters to GM, emails to GM and posting your concerns here.

But we have run this issue into the ground. And repeated threads on this topic will be deleted...

I'm not defending or endorsing GM in how they are dealing with this. But we can only do so much. And starting thread after thread isn't going to help you make ground with GM.

Respectfully,

Chris
Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
#20,908

I was stuck in QC for 45 days for this issue! Lets get it taken care of
Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I was stuck in QC for 60 days and still got a battery cable re-call. My 2 SSRS was built in the first 5000. If mine is affected I would like it fixed before it breaks and leave me stranded or worse.....
Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
I was also in QC. Only for 10 days at the end of June/beginning of July.
VIN 24452. I thought the suspect VINs were a lower number than 25000 though. Now it concerns me since I was planning to put a blower on.

Dean
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
Old 11-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #27
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
blew mine out...that was fun.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Admin and Mod's, please sticky this thread so most can see it without having to bump it.

GM, why don't you do this...? (Yes, I'm creating its own thread because I feel it is important enough)

1) Have the dealers replace all trans output shafts defective or not (within the vin range of affected vehicles) with ones that you know are created correctly.. You take each shaft and have them tested at your own time to declare them viable to be recycled or used again.

This is the easiest and best solution yet since it would save you guys from an embarrassment and a large legal payout if someone does die in the future due to this issue. Not to mention all the bad publicity you will get. Look at Toyota as the example.

For those of you with Camaro's within that VIN range, post your Camaro SS M6 and VIn number and post that you support GM doing this. If you've already had this issue, also post in this thread and let us know as well. Thanks

So Scott Fbodfather, if you are reading this, please suggest what I just wrote above to GM's higher authorities so they can make it happen and end this ridiculous back and forth of speculation and playing with our lives with a known potentially dangerous issue. GM can do this and problem solved. Make it happen. Let us know that you tried.. Thanks..

Quick Explanation of problem for newbies
If you are a Camaro owner and do not know about this issue, there are numerous threads about it. In a simple four sentence explanation, a bad batch of Transmission Output Shafts has made it into many V8 M6 Camaro's causing them to snap under normal driving conditions in some cases and while using the car under normal strain on the track via launch control. It is an unknown how long it would take for it to fail or break if all you do is drive it normally if you are one affected. This is a potentially dangerous problem if this occurs at a time of oncoming traffic or in an intersection which requires you to get out of the way of vehicles since this you would lose the ability to move once it snaps. So far if you are under the 25,000 VIN range, you may be affected and just don't know it yet.. So post in here if you own a Camaro below 25,000 VIN and if you are concerned.

I hope you knew before posting this that GM doesn't make the transmission in the Manual SS...

It is made by Tremec..

Also the Tremec transmission in the Manual SS isn't the only car it is in..

It is/has been used in Vipers, Mustangs, and other sports cars...

Just thought I would let all of you know this if you didn't already...

GM isn't going to take their time to send all of you new transmissions...

sorry they just won't do that..

My car is VIN# 25,121 right after your speculation of cars...

I have had mine since July, haven't had a problem yet..

Have done several launches and it is fine...

Bottom line is that GM isn't going to send you a new one unless yours breaks...

Why should you be worried about it breaking??? If it breaks you get a new one for FREE..

So really....

I think if GM has to send you a new one they should look into the ECM to find out if it broke under normal driving conditions or under alot of tension and stress caused by a clutch dump...

Some of you who do launches don't know how to do them right...

You just think 'oh rev it up and pop the clutch'

No.. That's how they break...

If you let the clutch out slowly,known as 'slipping' the clutch, then you get a better launch anyways...

If yours breaks because you are popping the clutch everyday, then I think you deserve to have yours broken...

If you take it easy on the car(not baby it) then you will be fine..
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here

Closed Thread