Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #323
brengeek
Not a dude.

Drives: 2012 45th 2ss/rs
I totally would but John has no leave left and we can't afford it without pay right now. :-/
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #324
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
With this being the last weekend before we depart, I thought it would be a good time to remind everybody: If you don't have a radio yet, it would be a good idea to pick up a pair.
I've done enough Camarovans now to know that radios are vital on a long trip. We used them all throughout the Lake Tahoe trip, and much of the stuff we did down there with all the other Camaros would have been difficult, if not impossible without the communication radios offer.
I've been in other Camarovans without radio contact, and as Brenda would say, it's like herding cats.
There are a lot of things to consider on long trips, and when you add a dozen or so other cars, those things get magnified. Bathroom breaks, gas/food stops, emergencies, navigation issues (i.e.: "Hey, we're lost!"), hazards, points of interest, cops...you get the idea. Cell phones are okay for some things, but if you've ever tried to use them on long trips, you have no doubt experienced some of their limitations. In spite of what their commercials tell us, the truth is that there are a lot of places they don't even work. If they do work, it takes time and attention to find somebody's number and dial it. And a cell phone can't be used to call everybody in the line and say "hey! I just blew a tire!"
Often referred to as "blister pack radios", FRS/GMRS walkie talkies are available all over. They vary in price depending on the manufacturer and the range. Motorolla, Midland, and Cobra are the most common brands you will see, and they all work on the same frequencies. Longer range is good, but not really necessary for the length of a Camarovan. And don't really expect that the 35 miles on the package is the actual range you will get. These radios don't operate on citizens band like the walkie talkies we had as a kid. So if you actually have a CB in your car, it won't be able to talk to them.
I recommend, if you have the choice, get the ones that come with rechargeable batteries. And a car charger would be very handy, as I've seen some brands will run down before you reach your destination for the night.

Trust me: You will want radios on this trip. I urge you to pick some up this weekend if you haven't already!

And while you're out shopping, here's something to think about:

This happened a few days ago.

This is a Camaro
Name:  null_zps53c4c23d.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  103.1 KB

Okay, this was a Camaro.
Name:  null_zpsf6443650.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  234.2 KB

Name:  null_zps2077db8a.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  172.0 KB

If you've been lurking around C5 for awhile, you've probably run across "The Stig" at some point. This was his car. At the end of May, a fire started under the hood as he was driving. Fortunately he got out okay, but there wasn't much he could do but stand by and watch his beloved Camaro burn.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...33607&page=108

My apologies to The Stig for using these without his permission, but I thought everybody needed to see this. He didn't have a fire extinguisher, and he is regretting it now.
A fire extinguisher can mean the difference between minor under-hood damage or a totaled Camaro. And in my personal experience, that difference can be less than a minute. I bought one before we went to Lake Tahoe last year, and my wife looked at me kind of funny. It's been there in the trunk ever since. (Although I've been reminded by The Stig that the trunk is strictly electric, and in an electrical fire; may not be accessible.)

Just something for you to think about while you're shopping...

SEE YOU ON THE ROAD TO STURGIS!

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #325
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I have the radios, will run out and get a fire extinguisher this weekend.... Thanks, Gary!!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #326
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
We've got 4 radios coming along, fire extinguisher - good idea!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #327
Casper45th

Drives: 2012 45th SSRS A6
Not many days till we all see each other and have a great time in the Black Hills. So glad you all are coming and looking forward to meeting you all face to face.

Our group, Camaro Club of The Rockies has grown so much over the past year looks like we will end up coming in to town in waves. Several cars will roll into Sturgis on Wednesday night, but most of us, (about 26-28 cars) should roll in around 1 pm Thursday. I'm excited !!!!
Casper45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #328
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
I have a pair of radios too but the last time I tried to use them--the trip to Paradise--I couldn't find the channel everyone else was on. :\
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #329
Casper45th

Drives: 2012 45th SSRS A6
That reminds me that I better find out what channel our group will be running on since we will be the last 3 to join up with the camarovan. I'm still bummed about Mike not getting to come with you guys since he is the one that dared me to wear the crazy costume I have at Sturgis. There's always next year I guess.

See all of you in 6 days!
Casper45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #330
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy or a '83 Z-28.
Ours are set for 5.1. Wouldn't work on 5, don't know why....
Also for anyone who may be interested, we are meeting up with some friends from Spokane are (and by gosh, they have Camaros too) for dinner at the Hong Kong buffet, around 6-7pm. Come one, come all. I guess the buffet is right by the hotels, with good parking
Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #331
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Mike came up with a breakdown of all the rest areas along the way - might come in handy! I'll let the guys in Spokane know about the Hong Kong Buffet - sounds good!
Attached Images

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #332
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
I'm going to have to get that stuff from Mike.

As for radio frequency: The radios have 22 frequencies/channels. The little numbers that appear below the channel number are interference eliminator codes. They minimize interference by blocking transmissions by unknown sources. Not all the FRS/GMRS radios have this capability. (Including the one I'll be using on the trip.) To make things simple, I say we just make it Channel 5, as in C5, or 5th gen. That should make it easy to remember.

Oh, and I'm not sure if it's the same on all the other radios, but on my Motorolas, channels 8 thru 14 are all FRS only, and broadcast at a lower power. (i.e. less range.) It's supposed to save battery life, and might not be an issue in a short Camarovan, but something to remember if you are a fair distance from the group.

Got done spraying the 3M paint defender on the front fascia today. It isn't the prettiest stuff in the world, but I'm hoping it saves us some grief in the long-run.

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #333
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Something else to remember on the way back...

There is no 28% liquor tax in Idaho, and some of the shops are still cheaper then you'll find here locally as well. You only have to pay the ~6% sales tax in Idaho.
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #334
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Something else to remember on the way back...

There is no 28% liquor tax in Idaho, and some of the shops are still cheaper then you'll find here locally as well. You only have to pay the ~6% sales tax in Idaho.
Woot! Cuz me liquor cabinet is getting low
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #335
iceman5730
Iceman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT SC/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5730 View Post
That sounds good Could we make it around 1:00 would that work for you If so where in Ellensburg would we meet up
Change in Plans We are not leaving till 8 am on Tuesday border may be busy and Traffic in Seattle so we are going to go the Canada route See you guys in Spokane
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #336
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5730 View Post
Change in Plans We are not leaving till 8 am on Tuesday border may be busy and Traffic in Seattle so we are going to go the Canada route See you guys in Spokane
Totally understand! We shall see you in Spokane.

Tags
camarovan, sturgis, sturgis camaro rally