Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #3599
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Lol!

Anywho, we have taken this one way far off topic. I enjoyed the conversation and GMRULZ, I will be keeping my eyes peeled for new times this Fall.
Thanks man, enjoyed talking w/ ya as well. good luck on new bests for you as well.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #3600
InfernoOrangeSS
VERITAS AEQUITAS

Drives: 2012 IOM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Both cars will average between 12:80 to 13:30 in the 1/4, depends on the driver and conditions. Forget the ridiculous claims from both sides that can't be duplicated. Both cars can be modified to perform much better, all depends on your checkbook as to how fast you want to go.

IMO I do not care for the 5.0, been a Ford guy for the last 25 years but the 5.0 seemed kind of boring to me. I'm not saying that it isn't a strong performer just it didn't excite me the way the SS did, or my 04 Cobra did. Needless to say when it was time to replace my worn out Cobra I went SS.
I think that is what I am experiencing as well. I have been in a Mustang for a while. The 5.0, while nice, and powerful, is still too much like the previous Mustangs. I loved when Ford went retro and came out with the Mustang I have now. I think that is what has me so interested in the SS. I am heavily leaning that way, but once I do my research and test drive them both...I will make my final decision.

Once again, I greatly appreciate the honest input I have received here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Happiness is an IOM Camaro...
InfernoOrangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #3601
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenGT View Post
I think that is what I am experiencing as well. I have been in a Mustang for a while. The 5.0, while nice, and powerful, is still too much like the previous Mustangs. I loved when Ford went retro and came out with the Mustang I have now. I think that is what has me so interested in the SS. I am heavily leaning that way, but once I do my research and test drive them both...I will make my final decision.

Once again, I greatly appreciate the honest input I have received here.

Please keep us posted as you go through the selection process.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #3602
Kyuzilla

Drives: Infiniti G35, Nissan GT-R35
I normally religiously research my cars of interest but it's been really hard trying to find legitimate answers. I couldn't read thru this massive thread though, so I apologize in advance.

I happen to have my favorite Japanese car in the world, in my garage, but I've ALWAYS wanted an American car (V8 envy). Now I feel that the camaro and mustang are both refined and awesome looking, but all the reviews are kinda one-sided. I like the features / options available on the Mustang, but I like the looks of the camaro.

So basically, it boils down to... which one will handle / perform better after exhaust, intake, and suspension (sway bars and coilovers). Research suggests that the mustang is a little lighter and more nimble (they somehow dialed out the solid rear axle) but since the Camaro has a "normal" independent rear suspension, does that mean when I get coilovers the handling will surpass the Mustang even WITH coilovers?

I think it's cool if there's competitive "hate" for another car... we have that with the Vette and Porsche guys on our GT-R forums, but we respect any make and model for what they do for us. I want a loud, mean and manual daily driver to replace my automatic G35.
Kyuzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #3603
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuzilla View Post
I normally religiously research my cars of interest but it's been really hard trying to find legitimate answers. I couldn't read thru this massive thread though, so I apologize in advance.

I happen to have my favorite Japanese car in the world, in my garage, but I've ALWAYS wanted an American car (V8 envy). Now I feel that the camaro and mustang are both refined and awesome looking, but all the reviews are kinda one-sided. I like the features / options available on the Mustang, but I like the looks of the camaro.

So basically, it boils down to... which one will handle / perform better after exhaust, intake, and suspension (sway bars and coilovers). Research suggests that the mustang is a little lighter and more nimble (they somehow dialed out the solid rear axle) but since the Camaro has a "normal" independent rear suspension, does that mean when I get coilovers the handling will surpass the Mustang even WITH coilovers?

I think it's cool if there's competitive "hate" for another car... we have that with the Vette and Porsche guys on our GT-R forums, but we respect any make and model for what they do for us. I want a loud, mean and manual daily driver to replace my automatic G35.
I see the Mustang as more of a sports car and the Camaro as more of a muscle car IMO. The Mustang has a slight performance edge but really its not that huge of difference. Its still a drivers race when it comes down to it in most situations.
If you want a sleek, solid muscle car, get the Camaro.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #3604
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
I see the Mustang as more of a sports car and the Camaro as more of a muscle car IMO. The Mustang has a slight performance edge but really its not that huge of difference. Its still a drivers race when it comes down to it in most situations.
If you want a sleek, solid muscle car, get the Camaro.

What he said. Go test drive both and see which one you like the most.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a larger comfy road trip mobile cruiser type performance car get a Camaro, if you want tighter wound more race capable car right out of the box then the Mustang/ Boss302 will better suit your needs. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how much daily drive ability you want to give up.

Both car's can be made into race type vehicles with suspension products from Pedders for the Camaro and Grigg's GR40 watts link systems for Mustang's. You may want to look into the better equepted and race inspired up comming 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2012 Shelby GT500 performance pack, 2012 Boss 302, 2012 Shelby GT350, 2011 SLP ZL1, Roush stage 3

PM me if you want link to video's

Last edited by BigDan; 08-23-2011 at 04:01 AM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #3605
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post

If you want a larger comfy road trip mobile cruiser type performance car get a Camaro, if you want tighter wound more race capable car right out of the box then the Mustang/ Boss302 will better suit your needs. It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how much daily drive ability you want to give up.

The Camaro and Mustang are similar wrt interior dimensions, even thought exterior dimensions may lead you to think differently. I drove both, and did not find the Camaro larger or more comfortable. If I recall, the Mustang has more headroom and rear seat room, and the Camaro has more shoulder room. The Challenger is the car if you want a comfortable touring car.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #3606
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
That is it, whatever is under the hood requires a lot of extra clearance. That is a pre-production scoop and although it is hideous, the real surprise is under that scoop. That engine is the ZL1 killer and the king of the S197's... I have heard about the final scoop design but, I will save that for another site.
Yep...there's the Pill killing Camaros with a track only Mustang...they're building only 50 of them....real production car!!! I saw one of these run at Beech Bend April of this year and it wasn't all that impressive for a pure drag strip car. See my YouTube videos for a look at one of the first.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 AM   #3607
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Yep...there's the Pill killing Camaros with a track only Mustang...they're building only 50 of them....real production car!!! I saw one of these run at Beech Bend April of this year and it wasn't all that impressive for a pure drag strip car. See my YouTube videos for a look at one of the first.

Eh.....

What's impressive is.....

2012 Super Cobra Jet Mustang 5.0 N/A in 2K' of air running:

Pic of said car attached. This was at Milan a couple of weeks ago.
Attached Images

wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #3608
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Winter is coming and after a year of the "GT" look, it is time to upgrade Ernie. This winters mods include but are not limited to.
The Roush Front Fascia with splitter (as seen on the grabber blue) and
HIDs (grabber blue) from http://www.roushperformance.com/
Boss 302S super louver fiberglass hood from http://tiger-racing.com/tigerorg/for_sale.html
Drivetrain, suspension and other weight reduction mods are on a strict need to know basis.

I will say for the record, that performance modifications will be from Pedders USA and Steeda (excluding engine, by Ford Racing), not just because of the high quality parts for a very reasonable price.. because Frank Stoddard of Steeda and Pete Bascia of Pedders have shown extreme personal concerns with my job related injury. Just something about those two individuals in the industry that impresses me....

Note: Stock GT grille has already been replaced with the Roush 7 bar.

Note #2: Don't ask me what the owner of the 2012 Boss 302 is doing with the complete grille delete and chicken wire mod. He is being helped by the community .

Edit: We should be hearing some select tidbits from Cologne, Germany about the new 2013 Mustangs and the Mustang III soon. SVT has been testing at Nurburgring quite frequently... In fact, the local club says that both the new GT500/Cobra and 3 different ZL1s were on the track this week. Chevrolet and Ford are both testing at the same track at the same time, both are probably aware of the others performance by now.
Attached Images

Last edited by thePill; 09-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #3609
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Winter is coming and after a year of the "GT" look, it is time to upgrade Ernie. This winters mods include but are not limited to.
The Roush Front Fascia with splitter (as seen on the grabber blue) and
HIDs (grabber blue) from http://www.roushperformance.com/
Boss 302S super louver fiberglass hood from http://tiger-racing.com/tigerorg/for_sale.html
Drivetrain, suspension and other weight reduction mods are on a strict need to know basis.

Note: Stock GT grille has already been replaced with the Roush 7 bar.

Note #2: Don't ask me what the owner of the 2012 Boss 302 is doing with the complete grille delete and chicken wire mod. He is being helped by the community .

Edit: We should be hearing some select tidbits from Cologne, Germany about the new 2013 Mustangs and the Mustang III soon. SVT has been testing at Nurburgring quite frequently... In fact, the local club says that both the new GT500/Cobra and 3 different ZL1s were on the track this week. Chevrolet and Ford are both testing at the same track at the same time, both are probably aware of the others performance by now.
Great pics!

I would love to know what Ford and Chevy have to say about the other after a Ring run. Where are the spy photos and video when we really want the goss?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #3610
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Tell you what, Pill, the nose of that stang is starting to grow on me. If I was building one I'd put the old Shelby style centered parking lamps in the grill with the badge to one side, do a tiny spoiler or spoiler delete, and maybe the shaker hood. Get it lowered/Pedders and away you go. More pics when you're done!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #3611
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I would love to know what Ford and Chevy have to say about the other after a Ring run. Where are the spy photos and video when we really want the goss?
GM posted new Nurburgring ZL1 footage of 2 different cars 2 days after my post. There were locals running watches (as always)... There are a few of us going up this weekend, there were afternoon tourist days all this week and I have heard that "the" 500 was up there. Friday is an unannounced day so, if we are lucky, we could see some last minute runs before round 8 of the VLN on Saturday. The race starts at noon so track prep can be done prior to that so Friday will be one of those days you see strange test being done because the day isn't advertised and spectators are fewer.

Something was wrong with the blue ZL1, nothing severe enough to tow it away... It was running funny I guess.. I wasn't there though. There were 2 full tourist days on the 18th and 19th so I think the testing was done on those days. There were two afternoon slots on the 16th and 17th but I heard it was Sunday/Monday. The times are similar to the black and blue but not red ("the" 500). I heard that SVT is staying at the hotel Tiergarten in Nurburg but the car won't be there :(. A couple of my guys are up there now (I am having trouble standing up this week), the track should open in about an hour and a half (about 1730), I hope they catch something.

Depending on what I see, a trip to Cologne might be in the future .

Edit: Comparing the two videos, there is a portion of the track that both "the" 500 and the Blue ZL1 run through in each of their videos. This particular turn is dangerous on exit in the GT500 as it has a cemented area that causes the cars axle to lateral push with a mini hop and chirp. Red was about 1-1.5 seconds faster through that area than the ZL1. The ZL1 is slower in the turns for some reason, it took the bump kinda sluggish and got to the end of the candy cane at least a second behind.

Edit #2: The only info I have now from Ford on the Mustang is this:
MY12:
Final Orders Due: 12/23/11
Last Day to Change/Cancel: 1/6/11
Job Last Date: 2/24/12

MY13:
Order Banks Open: 12/5/11
Scheduling: 1/26/12
Job 1 Start: 2/27/12

Looks like 2012s will be built for over 13 months.. it could be the back orders from MT82s, V6 and Boss delays.... and NAV delays. MY13 Job 1 will be 1.25 months behind MY12 Job 1, so last minute updates from GM cannot be done...
Attached Images

Last edited by thePill; 09-22-2011 at 02:08 PM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #3612
JusticePete

Great 'inside' info Mr. Pill. Please keep us posted when you get more. Tell the Doc I said to find a better treatment plan or I'll be sending special guests from the Rebel Force.

Tags
camaro, camaro vs mustang, cobra, faster, mods, mustang, race