Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #4159
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
If I remember right I think the glass in the car has to be replaced. The cost of that alone would be insane because you would have to have it made.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #4160
PittPaz
Hail to Pitt

Drives: 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
More support for the second part of my previous statement:

Quote:
Alternatively, Motorex imported a variety of R33 Skylines which are Federally legal and registered appropriately. Motorex-prepped R33 Skylines can fetch upwards of $50,000. Even though the R32 and R34's that were already imported are not technically legal due to their lack of crash tests, they do have a Federal bond release issued and were imported prior to the Motorex violations coming to light. These appear to have been "grandfathered" in. Good luck finding one for sale.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #4161
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPaz View Post
Not true. I remembered reading an article about this. Found some info:

Basically it had to do with the inspections. They imported, tested, and crash tested R32, R33, and R34 models. Then it was found out they didn't comply with all of the test requirements. That was when they retracted the status for R32 and R34 models (and thus went out and seized them, as I referenced earlier).

Looks like it's technically still possible to import the R33s referenced above, but not feasible. I'd imagine there are still some of those that were brought over legally in existence.

Edit: Misread. The second part of my statement still stands for those brought in previously through Morotex.
Yep, I just did some more reading and found the above to be true, except you are missing why motorex was basically shut down.

As stated above they/or affiliates werre vin swapping the cars to bypass customs, nhtsa and the epa to expedite the process and get quicker sales. I guess what came through legally, was grandfathered.

There was another company called kaizo, who was importing the cars in pieces then reassmbling. That did not fly.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #4162
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

What it comes down to. If you have more money than brains you could find one for sale. Other than that, turbo the camaro and have fun. SS, Single turbo, manual trans version would be fun.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #4163
Seer

Now when these cars become classics... I bet one could import them in easier, since they dont need to fall under nhtsa and epa standards.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #4164
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Now when these cars become classics... I bet one could import them in easier, since they dont need to fall under nhtsa and epa standards.
15 years old in PA is considered classic. R32 and Most R33 are classic by that standard. I can't remember if classic and antiques have to be produced in the US to get the classification here.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #4165
badazss
SS-500HP

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Send a message via AIM to badazss Send a message via Yahoo to badazss
Hey Jamie
I am going I am leaving Friday night after work and staying at the days in I have a extra ticket for the dinner any one wnats to buy it
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103089
badazss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #4166
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

I know looks shouldn't be first on the list when adding power but does anyone know of a underhood turbo kit that performs well and looks good. All the ones I can find look like crap. People always post "looks good" and I look at it and I see crappy welds, overdone heat wrap, EGT probes sticking out in odd places, and things like that.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #4167
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post
15 years old in PA is considered classic. R32 and Most R33 are classic by that standard. I can't remember if classic and antiques have to be produced in the US to get the classification here.
Fairly certain they do not, a lot of the euro classics/antiques can be plated.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #4168
cam99

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
the debate on the shuttle is now mute
*moot*

I have no engineering degree so I must resort to being a grammer nazi.

2012 ZL1 (sold)
JRE 75rwhp kit
catless
ported lsa TB

11.04 @ 128.35
on hoosier drs and skinnies
@ PRP with 1100DA
cam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4169
PittPaz
Hail to Pitt

Drives: 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Actually because the NHTSA is involved, it has to be 25 years or older to bypass the safety regulations.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #4170
Trav2SS
MTMTEYE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
whats amazing is you can't import a vehicle that is 'safe, and brand new' from another country, espically Japan etc, but there are rust bucket death traps in certain states/county's that should require a hazmat suit just to be within 10 feet of them... I am sure somewhere way back when, their was a meeting of top level men in suits that didn't want certain import models spanking domestics, and hence such strictness was in place to prevent such actions.. Conspiracy theorys

Anyone ever looked into the process on how it is to go the opposite way, are any American cars/types even banned from other country's?

Aftermarket bolt on parts and tune.. 434hp/395tq
Daily Driver.
Trav2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #4171
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav2SS View Post
whats amazing is you can't import a vehicle that is 'safe, and brand new' from another country, espically Japan etc, but there are rust bucket death traps in certain states/county's that should require a hazmat suit just to be within 10 feet of them... I am sure somewhere way back when, their was a meeting of top level men in suits that didn't want certain import models spanking domestics, and hence such strictness was in place to prevent such actions.. Conspiracy theorys

Anyone ever looked into the process on how it is to go the opposite way, are any American cars/types even banned from other country's?
American cars are not banned but it is my understanding that they are jacked way up in price and must pass a serious time consuming inspection in Japan further jacking the price up. Basically, you can get them but it's really going to cost you.

Cam99, I'm not an engineer either but I've spent plenty of time explaining to them why their stuff won't work.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #4172
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav2SS View Post

mileage restrictions on classic/antique cars, thats why.