Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #29
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Is moving closer an option? Won't take long for that commute to get real old, especially if it involves traffic.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #30
Norseman

Drives: 2010 SS - CGM
I'm not sure I understand the logic here. Let's say gas goes to $4 a gallon and stays there... you're then looking at a $1500/year difference. It'll still take 3 years to see any benefit from this move.

I'm also having trouble figuring out what you mean when you say you'll "hate driving the camaro in the winter". I live in Minnesota, and it appears you live in Alabama. I drive my car year round (with a small investment in winter tires). This car is an absolute beast in winter. It's well-balanced and heavy enough to go through crappy weather.

I guess my point is, why on earth would you take a financial hit (for 3-5 years) to drive a less-fun car?
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #31
norf

Drives: 2023 2LT RS
The Accord will get better mileage, runs on regular, will be more reliable, cheaper to maintain, depreciate less, cheaper to repair and probably be more comfortable. Insurance should be a lot less too.

Makes sense to me but I would buy a used 4 cylinder accord verses new. The depreciation on a new honda will negate a lot of the cost savings.
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #32
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by norf View Post
The Accord will get better mileage, runs on regular, will be more reliable, cheaper to maintain, depreciate less, cheaper to repair and probably be more comfortable. Insurance should be a lot less too.

Makes sense to me but I would buy a used 4 cylinder accord verses new. The depreciation on a new honda will negate a lot of the cost savings.
Of course it makes sense. And buying used as well, a hard lesson I finally learned.

The Accord is a comfortable car to drive. Good, comfortable, reliable, economical.... The down side?

No fun.

One thing my Camaro does is gets me out of bed in the morning, actually looking forward to the drive. It might be bumper-to-bumper, it might be backed up for miles, could be a smooth flow... who knows? I care not. In heavy traffic, crank the tunes and relax a bit. When traffic is light? "Fly like an eagle".

Don't become just another faceless on the road of life. An generic amoeba delivering it's package coursing the blood veins of the metropolis.

Live. Drive something that says you are an individual who appreciates a little power, style and most importantly, fun. Keep the Camaro. It's really the only way to realize it's full value anyway!

If you do end up with a Honda. Maybe get a red one with some nice wheels like this Vossen.

JMHO as always.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #33
Blutob2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIC1 View Post
did you know you where moving when you bought the car...and new you would be commuting 50 miles
No, I'm military and you hardly every know. I bought it in Vegas and then moved to AL only for 1 year. Now my next move it is my choice to live that far but I'm doing it for the family. Much better schools.
Blutob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #34
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
How about I suggest a Smart Car because those are masculine...
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #35
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
How about I suggest a Smart Car because those are masculine...
It you drop a Gixxer 1K engine in them.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #36
68rssscamaro
Camaro: A Legend Reborn!!

Drives: SOLD: 12 2SS/RS LS3 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by norf View Post

Sounds like you made a decision already, so trade it in.

I have to disagree with reliability, being comfortable, cheaper to repair, and insure. It will perform better, good luck passing someone up a hill. Seats are way more comfy in my Camaro compared to a Honda of any model. My DD Kia Sorento costs more to insure than the Camaro with same coverage. Guess that may depend on age and what class the vehicle your insuring is rated at.. I have had a few accords so been there done that.

68rssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #37
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
50 weeks at 500 miles a week is 25000 annual miles. Camaro SS on the highway should get at least 24 mpg, Honda gets 37......assuming $2 a gallon, the Camaro costs around $2100 in fuel, the Honda $1350 ($750 less)

So to save $750 a year in gas you're going to spend $3400 right now (26 K for Camaro trade, 29.4 for Honda)......you're going to be losing money for the next 5 years by buying a more fuel efficient car.
Interesting point. For the OP to truly save money, the new car would have to cost less than the $26,000 the dealer is offering.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #38
Blutob2

I do appreciate the feedback. I guess I was more concerned about winter driving. I'm going to MO which isn't awful however they get more ice then snow. Also didn't know people were putting that many miles on theirs. Yes I did buy it to be a daily driver but I only have 12k miles in 17 months and that's including a cross country move.

Now regarding "no balls" or "the Camaro is what gets me out of bed" well I do fly Combat Aircraft so obviously I love my job! Haha
Old 03-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #39
Blutob2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rssscamaro View Post
Sounds like you made a decision already, so trade it in.

I have to disagree with reliability, being comfortable, cheaper to repair, and insure. It will perform better, good luck passing someone up a hill. Seats are way more comfy in my Camaro compared to a Honda of any model. My DD Kia Sorento costs more to insure than the Camaro with same coverage. Guess that may depend on age and what class the vehicle your insuring is rated at.. I have had a few accords so been there done that.
That wasn't my post so no I haven't made a decision. Agreed on insurance, it's only $22 cheaper every 6 months.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #40
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutob2 View Post
I do appreciate the feedback. I guess I was more concerned about winter driving. I'm going to MO which isn't awful however they get more ice then snow. Also didn't know people were putting that many miles on theirs. Yes I did buy it to be a daily driver but I only have 12k miles in 17 months and that's including a cross country move.

Now regarding "no balls" or "the Camaro is what gets me out of bed" well I do fly Combat Aircraft so obviously I love my job! Haha
Well played & thank you for your service
Old 03-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #41
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
It you drop a Gixxer 1K engine in them.
Busa engine would make that little car fly lol

jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #42
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
you must be buying a loaded Accord ( EX-L or Touring ) because I only paid 22k for my Sport aka "the fishbowl"