Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #29
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
folding mirrors on a Camaro, lol
Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #30
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
what a ridiculous request. its not a truck.
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #31
yzfmik

Drives: '10 Summit White 2LT M6
None of my 3 4th gen F-Body's had folding mirrors, I get by fine without them. My Expedition has power folding side mirrors and I think I've used them once.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
It's a reasonable expectation, but for a coupe like the Camaro with such big doors, it is very unlikely that you could park someplace so tight that you needed folding mirrors and still exit the car.

I'm also unclear as to the width concern. Are you suggesting that you would fold the mirrors in and then back the car out of the garage? The only case I've ever hear of where a mirror was broken off was backing out of a garage, not in a parking lot.

However, there are countries that have laws regarding the mirrors and the overall width of the car. The mirrors must fold in so that they are not the widest part. So look for Camraros being exported to those countries in the future and you may find your favorite mod for your Camaro.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It's a reasonable expectation, but for a coupe like the Camaro with such big doors, it is very unlikely that you could park someplace so tight that you needed folding mirrors and still exit the car.

I'm also unclear as to the width concern. Are you suggesting that you would fold the mirrors in and then back the car out of the garage? The only case I've ever hear of where a mirror was broken off was backing out of a garage, not in a parking lot.

However, there are countries that have laws regarding the mirrors and the overall width of the car. The mirrors must fold in so that they are not the widest part. So look for Camraros being exported to those countries in the future and you may find your favorite mod for your Camaro.
Great point!! Didn't the Camaro in Japan that one member here found & took pictures of have folding mirrors?
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #34
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
There is no way the GM Design team would have been able to execute a good looking mirror design if they had to fold. That above all is the reason why. Folding mirrors require that the mirrors themselves have a thicker base, and a pivot where they actually fold. If you compare the size of the Camaro mirrors to any GM truck, you will see how much that feature effects the design.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #35
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Here's the thread, these may be folding mirrors?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78230
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #36
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by deljaso View Post
Here's the thread, these may be folding mirrors?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78230

Looks like they swivel.

Besides getting in and out of tight spots, a folding/swivelling mirror may be able to save itself from being destroyed if it is hit, especially if it moves in both directions. I have seen cases where someone's car is hit, and the owner simply folds it back in place and keeps going. Nice thing to have.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #37
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
really if you look carefully at the body lines of your car, the mirrors don't stick out but maybe an inch farther than the widest part of the car. if you're hitting your mirrors on something then ur most likely hitting something else as well
This...

They should simply have explained this in the manual, because it is true...if you could fold in your side view mirrors, the "hips" of the car would hit something. They protrude out almost as much as the mirrors.

Make sense?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #38
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post
Not true, they stick out OVER 2" from the front fenders.

But even 1" or 2" is enough to not only break the mirror but DENT the door..That's where the real repair cost will be...
Not true...I don't think the mirrors are even the widest part of the car. If they are, it is by an inch or less for sure. Take a look at the diagram from the WIKI section. Scroll down to the exterior specs. Folding mirrors would simply be a waste of money on this car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...ERIOR_PHYSICAL

When you're in the driver's seat, it seems like the mirrors stick way out there...but they really don't!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #39
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Nice reference to fight club...
Thank you. Are you a fan?
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #40
Patriot

Drives: 2011 LS3/RS on order... ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
There is no way the GM Design team would have been able to execute a good looking mirror design if they had to fold. That above all is the reason why. Folding mirrors require that the mirrors themselves have a thicker base, and a pivot where they actually fold. If you compare the size of the Camaro mirrors to any GM truck, you will see how much that feature effects the design.
What he said. They wanted to keep the look of the concept (as best they could) so they couldn't build in a 'soccer mom' hinge. It would kill the clean look of the mirrors.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #41
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Not true...I don't think the mirrors are even the widest part of the car. If they are, it is by an inch or less for sure. Take a look at the diagram from the WIKI section. Scroll down to the exterior specs. Folding mirrors would simply be a waste of money on this car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...ERIOR_PHYSICAL
Absolutely NOT true.........
The car is 75 1/2" wide as stated.
The width of the mirrors TIP to TIP (measured with the windows open) is 82 1/4" ..........
So the mirrors stick out 6 3/4" total. or 3 3/8" on each side.....NOT 1" or even 2" .................END of story..........

Not that I care at all.
If anything I would like the pass. seat to move up, need not be powered .
97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #42
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Looks like they swivel.

Besides getting in and out of tight spots, a folding/swivelling mirror may be able to save itself from being destroyed if it is hit, especially if it moves in both directions. I have seen cases where someone's car is hit, and the owner simply folds it back in place and keeps going. Nice thing to have.
deljaso ...Thanks for the link. ..........http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78230
Yes they do swivel like most higher priced cars today.
97one is offline   Reply With Quote