Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
No. You're fine. Trust me.

I get how it works. I know where the cog drive goes and how it works. I know what the supertensioner does and where it goes and how it works. I only wanted to confirm that the supertensioner is not the way for me to go because I can not be guaranteed that it will stop all of the slippage.

And the cog drive will take care of it because I'll have much more belt wrap on front and if there were slippage on the rear too, then the cog drive would take care of that as well even though it would be two new pulleys anyway.

Form what I am gathering, the supertensioner is really not in the equation because a 2.8" pulley is STILL too small for a 6 rib stock belt.

I guess the confusion is that the supertensioner is still in the conversation?
I guess I am just picky and can only read what you write. Above you say COG drive like it will help your belt slip....wrong only if it is slipping in the rear. I think what you mean is to run a OD cog setup which will allow you to run a larger pulley up front to get more belt wrap at the same boost level.

I know what you mean but you say something different in a diferent way every post.
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #30
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99 View Post
I know, it just seems like he keeps saying something different every post and getting things mixed up. Maybe I am just not following him. When all of the info has been posted and all the answers given. It seems to just not be getting through.
Welcome to my world....

Quote:
I guess I am just picky and can only read what you write. Above you say COG drive like it will help your belt slip....wrong only if it is slipping in the rear. I think what you mean is to run a OD cog setup which will allow you to run a larger pulley up front to get more belt wrap at the same boost level.

I know what you mean but you say something different in a diferent way every post.
You are now my new favorite Camaro5 member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I agree with you saying even with the super tensioner the 2.8 is so small is still may slip. A 2.8 should never be on your car! We make over 17 psi with a 3.2.
On a maggie??? WOW!

So if we are looking for a guaranteed way to eliminate belt slip, why don't we go to an 8 rib setup?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
I agree with you saying even with the super tensioner the 2.8 is so small is still may slip. A 2.8 should never be on your car! We make over 17 psi with a 3.2.
See, that's what I've heard time and time again. And what started me thinking.

16 pounds with a 1:1 on rear and a 3.2 pulley? Damn.

So my questions to myself are 'Do I want to just do an OD cog drive', 'Do I take the chance with a bigger pulley up front and supertensioner and maybe not have to change anything else'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
You shouldnt need the supertensioner if you use the 3.8" front pulley, any thing smaller than 3.8 up front will need the supertensioner in my opinion.
Really? So a 3.6 you'd do a supertensioner too?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
Turbo99

Quote:

You also have a OD crank pulley and OD rear pulley so thats not really apples to apples.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

Fair enough.

In my head I have a belt slippage problem.

A rear OD cog drive will help my belt slippage problem.

So I'm not saying the cog drive keeps the belt from slipping it's self, but facilitates the easy option of a simple pulley swap to a larger up front to eliminate belt slippage.

I'm not the best at articulation.

I can't type as fast as I think I guess?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #34
Turbo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
See, that's what I've heard time and time again. And what started me thinking.

16 pounds with a 1:1 on rear and a 3.2 pulley? Damn.

So my questions to myself are 'Do I want to just do an OD cog drive', 'Do I take the chance with a bigger pulley up front and supertensioner and maybe not have to change anything else'.

Really? So a 3.6 you'd do a supertensioner too?

He has an OD crank pulley and an OD rear maggie pulley not a 1:1
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Welcome to my world....

You are now my new favorite Camaro5 member.

Hey, I know what I mean. You guys must haven't learned my language yet.

Quote:
He has an OD crank pulley and an OD rear maggie pulley not a 1:1
Ah, Got it. I didn't see that part.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Sorry I'm late to the conversation... I see that we're really trying to get rid of the belt slip but and keep the boost at safe levels. an 8 rib with the same pulley setup could give you way more boost than you want...

I'm up to speed now.

I still think turbo99 is in the running for member of the year.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #37
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
You also have a OD crank pulley and OD rear pulley so thats not really apples to apples.
You're 100% correct. I just wanted to get the point across at no point do we need a 2.8 pulley. There are better ways to make boost rather than just throw a tiny pulley on.

I run an OD rear cog, 10% OD crank pulley, one off JRE super tensioner clocked an extra 10 degrees, all on 8 rib pulley's. I also just got an RIP 8 rib 3.2 pulley. I'm looking for 18 psi this Friday!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #38
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Sorry I'm late to the conversation... I see that we're really trying to get rid of the belt slip but and keep the boost at safe levels. an 8 rib with the same pulley setup could give you way more boost than you want...

I'm up to speed now.

I still think turbo99 is in the running for member of the year.
That's pretty correct. The problem being that when you solely rely on an 8 rib you will still get slippage on a 3.2 and smaller. Throw a super tensioner on and it gets better. And then you have the cost.

For 90% of the members who run a Maggie the OD rear cog with a 3.8 is the best option.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
Have any of you guys ever run a rip pulley? The will take away 80% of belt slip and are not too hard on the belts...
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Have any of you guys ever run a rip pulley? The will take away 80% of belt slip and are not too hard on the belts...
I have one showing up today. 8 rib 3.2 RIP. I'm excited to try it out. I almost pm'ed you about them on Monday.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #41
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
I have been running the 8 rib 2.7 rip with my overdriven Cog setup for over 2 years. They work VERY WELL!

There are many TBSS guys running them on 6 rib DD's and have great luck....

We have been at the maggie game for a wile longer in the trailblazer world! It is nice to have a place like here, with LOTS of maggie talk!
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #42
PQ
Booooosted.

So then we agree that a 2.8" 6 rib pulley for a maggie is ludicrous?

And I am going with an OD Cog set-up on the rear of my Maggie. I still have my 3.6" pulley at home. So I can try that one first and see what the boost levels are. I guess I'll have to do it with a boost gauge on the street. Til I can get to a dyno.

I"m guessing this will be the most cost effective way too?

I have a member with an OD cog drive and fuel rail to sell. Plus I've contacted Jesicca as well.

My engine is not forged so I am not chasing max boost. 8-9 pounds is all I care to chance. My car is tuned just fine so I need no tune.

My whole reason behind doing this is that it sit uncomfortable with me that my belt is slipping so badly. Or is it. Vengeance said it isn't. That it's perfectly normal.

So my next question is does that sound plausible? I've never seen anything out of Vengeance that is not top notch work.

These are my cam specs '223/231 .610/.617 115+4' and my long tubes have 1 3/4 primaries into a 2.5" collector.

Also, what are the dangers with a set-up where the belt is slipping as mine appears to be?

Again, just trying to fully understand more of the intricacies of it all.

Is it possible for my belt to all of a sudden grab and boost through the roof? Obviously a slipping belt only get's worse, never better, but that wouldn't be dangerous to the engine I wouldn't think. Just not creating the power you are used to.

Bottom line my car is a DD and I drag race about once per year. But I want to start going once a month or so. So I want to know my car is up to the task and safe.