Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #29
cam-up

Drives: 03 S/C DODGE 1500, O2 CAMARO
if it's the botton you want you can always install one, only 3 wires, but either way im fine with, cost around 40 bucks and 30 mins
cam-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #30
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I want a toggle switch like in Nascar. I still want to put in the key though, turn to ON then hold a switch in the start position and hear a monster come to life, then release.
But really I just want the car to be able to start and drive plus I really like the key-in-fob design that is in the prototypes.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
If I ever redid the interior of a car, I would build it with toggle switches for everything that I possibly can. The same rule applies to if I ever get to redo a room in my house, though it would likey be a workshop, garage, or 'private man retreat'. Not likely to be allowed to do it for the kitchen or family room. Nothing is cooler than toggle switches mounted in diamond plate. Unless each switch has a clear plastic flip up cover. Oh, and bordered with yellow and black warning tape. With the control box mounted at a 30 degree angle from either the table its on, or the wall that its on. In a car it would need to be mounted in line with the dash. Oh, and an orange or red 'armed' light in the corner no matter where it is.

Toggle switches

And no, there is nothing wrong with me, I'm just in engineering.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #32
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
I want a toggle switch like in Nascar. I still want to put in the key though, turn to ON then hold a switch in the start position and hear a monster come to life, then release.
But really I just want the car to be able to start and drive plus I really like the key-in-fob design that is in the prototypes.
Okay, toggle switches WOULD be sweet as hell, especially with still having to use the key. Wow.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #33
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Don't we all.
balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #34
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If I ever redid the interior of a car, I would build it with toggle switches for everything that I possibly can. The same rule applies to if I ever get to redo a room in my house, though it would likey be a workshop, garage, or 'private man retreat'. Not likely to be allowed to do it for the kitchen or family room. Nothing is cooler than toggle switches mounted in diamond plate. Unless each switch has a clear plastic flip up cover. Oh, and bordered with yellow and black warning tape. With the control box mounted at a 30 degree angle from either the table its on, or the wall that its on. In a car it would need to be mounted in line with the dash. Oh, and an orange or red 'armed' light in the corner no matter where it is.

Toggle switches

And no, there is nothing wrong with me, I'm just in engineering.

You have some good interior design ideas! My future house or garage at least will have some toggle light switches.

The Mini Cooper has a nice array of toggle switches that look sweet, but I dont think they are used for starting the car, only for accessories and stuff. The Ford GT also has some but seem real futuristic looking.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #35
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
I hate push start. If anything, it is more of an inconvenience. They're on race cars because there is no key hole (weight reduction [every little bit helps]). On domestic vehicles, you first have to put the key in, turn it on, then push the stupid button. It's one more cheezeball thing to screw up or break later on down the road. I plan on putting at least 500,000 miles on her before I retire her, so I would appreciate less bull sh!t to fix as it goes out. If I want to push a button to go anywhere, I'll ride a d@mn elevator!
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #36
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by smike07 View Post
I hate push start. If anything, it is more of an inconvenience. They're on race cars because there is no key hole (weight reduction [every little bit helps]). On domestic vehicles, you first have to put the key in, turn it on, then push the stupid button. It's one more cheezeball thing to screw up or break later on down the road. I plan on putting at least 500,000 miles on her before I retire her, so I would appreciate less bull sh!t to fix as it goes out. If I want to push a button to go anywhere, I'll ride a d@mn elevator!
Actually most modern push button designs allow you to just keep the key in your pocket. Using a transmitter (RFID?) the car detects you walking up with the right keys, so it unlocks itself. You climb in, and once it knows the person with the key is at least around you can push the button and it will start. So the keys never have to leave your pocket (or purse, for the Camaro chicks here)

And I doubt the reason they're used on race cars is weight. A key hole couldn't possibly weigh enough to make a difference. If it did, all the drivers would be anorexics.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #37
smike07

And I doubt the reason they're used on race cars is weight. A key hole couldn't possibly weigh enough to make a difference. If it did, all the drivers would be anorexics.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll give you the first one. It's been a few years since I've been in the body shop industry, so that makes sense. Technology is wonderful (but in many cases, completely pointless), but weight is an enormous factor in racing. If they can make it lighter, they will. For instance, Porsche makes their lug nuts aluminum, because they believe the steel ones are too heavy. I'm thinking there is only a two or three pound difference between the two, but that just goes to show that if you can make it weigh less, do it. The aluminum lugs are a b!tc() as well. When I had my 944, I busted a lug nut attempting to remove the wheel. I had to get a drill and a hole saw to remove the other half before I could change the tire.
I'm still not a fan of the push start. They're irritating unless you're a race car driver. No hard feelings, that's just my opinion on 'em.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #38
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by smike07 View Post
Okay, I'll give you the first one. It's been a few years since I've been in the body shop industry, so that makes sense. Technology is wonderful (but in many cases, completely pointless), but weight is an enormous factor in racing. If they can make it lighter, they will. For instance, Porsche makes their lug nuts aluminum, because they believe the steel ones are too heavy. I'm thinking there is only a two or three pound difference between the two, but that just goes to show that if you can make it weigh less, do it. The aluminum lugs are a b!tc() as well. When I had my 944, I busted a lug nut attempting to remove the wheel. I had to get a drill and a hole saw to remove the other half before I could change the tire.
I'm still not a fan of the push start. They're irritating unless you're a race car driver. No hard feelings, that's just my opinion on 'em.
Weight makes a bigger difference in the wheels than the rest of the car.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #39
smike07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Weight makes a bigger difference in the wheels than the rest of the car.
Whatever. I'm done arguing.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #40
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
in-dash ignition

I'd love it. No more keys dangling between my thigh tickling me. Now that is a great idea. Please don't tell me not to have as many keys on my chain - I only have my car key an office key and my house key! I don't like the push start idea- no thrill-the toggle idea is great though.
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #41
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Personally, I don't want it on the new Camaro.

Nothing against "push button" starters, (my brother's C6 has it, and it is pretty cool) but to me, it just doesn't fit the Camaro's persona.

Also, everyone wants their Camaro to have the biggest, baddest V8, with a great stereo, etc., and they want the price to be affordable for everyone. Options such as "push button" start, "glass roofs", etc., add up.

For me, just give me the basics; a great performing V8, a strong manual transmission, and a chassis/suspension to handle the "twisties" as well as the straights.
I'm totally with Moose on this one. Just doesn't seem right on this car. What's wrong with the old insert-key-turn-ignition method Plus, like some of you have said it just feels cool to turn that key and have her start rumbling. That motion just feels great and I think I'd miss it if I have to insert a key and remove my hands to push some random button on the dash.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #42
stovt001

I think a lot of people are missing the point of modern push button. With modern systems using transmitting fobs, you just leave the key in your pocket the whole time. You don't stick it in to anything. As long as the car senses that it is close, it will start up.