Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #29
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
I can't add to this idiocypost up all the crap your little hearts desire.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #30
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Women control most of the major purchases here in this country. Don't believe me, look at the popularity of the soft rounded feminine like designed automobiles over the last few years. They all look like soft melted jelly bean wedges because that's what women find "cute" or "attractive"in styling. CUV's are all the rage right now and getting even more popular because that's what women prefer nowadays. Now, I'm not hating on women, but their influence has affected the auto industry for quite some time and in many cases, much to the detriment of the male enthusiast car buying segment.

I don't knkw what year you're living in, by I suspect it might 1985. You make it sound like the current V6 is a 125hp 2.8L from the mid 80's. They are not. They are a far cry from those little putt putt engines as you like to call them. If I wanted to putt around town getting good gas mileage, I would have bought a 4cyl Kia or a Prius.

The Camaro V6 offers a termendous amount of performance for the price point. Is it as fast as a V8? Of course not. However, the L99 and LS3 are not as fast as a 6th gen LT1 V8 and they are only a few tenths faster than the 6th gen V6.

323 hp and <6 sec 0-60's is still respectable even today. When your average stock L99 is pulling 13.2's in the 1/4 mile, the 5th gen V6 does it in 13.9-14.0, or in the case of the 6th gen V6, 13.5 secs. That's a pretty good performance value in my opinion.

Not quite that simple. To delete it, you have go inside the top end and get new lifters. Then, you have to eliminate it in the stock tune. Then, you need to eliminate the AFM valves in the exhaust and the costs start to escalate.

The 5th gen V6 needs none of this except for perhaps a good catch can and clean-side separator. Those are easy bolt ons like an intake. No retune needed. The LS may be the best V8 platform to date, but so is the V6. The LFX-LGX is the best V6 platform to date and offers an incredible amount of performance for the price. And, if we had the same aftermarket support as the LS platform, we would be tearing it up at the track.

For now, what limited support we do have can push us just over 400 hp N/A at the crank. For a 217 cid engine, that's pretty darn impressive IMO.
Cheerlead the V6 all you want.Take your mighty v6 to the track.. .just try it. Then bring back your 14.4 et time slip. Then "you" go jump into a 6th gen v6 and report back with your 14 flat slip. In either car your ass will be handed to you by a l99 or ls3 5th gen. You and the other V6 drag racer both have the slowest cars in the Camaro lineup in the last 9 years. When you would finish in last ...don't chirp the cars ahead of you...it looks bad.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #31
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
You and Gringo need to race to see which actually has the slowest Camaro on either forum. But wait.....you guys don't race. Because if you did you would know the l99 or ls3 would destroy you....last place at the strip doesn't equates to anything worth bragging about.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #32
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
GM has been making this same basic V8 engine since 1955. I think it’s been proven out to be solid. Is there the occasional isolated problem? Sure, but in my mind GM V8 is well proven. They got it figured out.

I drive a V6 which I think is a great high tech engine design from GM but if I was worried about reliability, I’d be the one worrying because this is a new engine design and GM doesn’t always do so good with those.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #33
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
GM has been making this same basic V8 engine since 1955. I think it’s been proven out to be solid. Is there the occasional isolated problem? Sure, but in my mind GM V8 is well proven. They got it figured out.

I drive a V6 which I think is a great high tech engine design from GM but if I was worried about reliability, I’d be the one worrying because this is a new engine design and GM doesn’t always do so good with those.
Good points Ken.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #34
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
BS! I've owned more LS series engine than ANY of you. I know their troubles inside out. Just wait till you guys get up in mileage............one of the reasons I wouldn't touch a newer v8 unless its converted<now you're gonna ask WHATS THAT.
Quote:
Be glad you bought a v6 and don't have to deal with lifter failure. I wouldn't touch a v8 until GM gets their pencils out and redesign the mess they have created. The newest version is even worse and more complicated. Replacing the chain on your engine is not a tough job at all. Repairing failed lifters usually involves replacing the engine. These v8 guys on here shit their pants every time they drive their cars waiting to hear the noise of a failed lifter. Change your oil every 4-5k with Pennzoil platinum 5-30 and you'll be good for a long time. Another thing that goes without saying DON"T BEAT ON YOUR CAR WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD!
have you personally replaced the CHAINS in the V6? its not that simple, there are three of them, right bank, left bank, and main. it is easy if you have the motor out of the car, sitting on a table, but i asure you, its no where as easy as you might think. V8 (LS3/L99) have one, that can be replaced in an afternoon, with pretty basic tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
AFM certainly is garbage and the related components are weak spot in design. I would happily pay the gas tax to drive a car without the system and wish GM would do away with it. Or maybe it would be better if GM made the AFM system optional... it should cost a little less on the sticker and would be offset by the gas tax but it could be marketed as a heavy duty or performance option for us enthusiasts.

I just fixed my neighbors truck that had a lifter failure that messed the cam up too. We did all the work ourselves and he was out $1,200 including a retune to delete AFM. All that said, the system is usually not that unreliable as long as you remain in stock trim or get up in miles. My neighbors truck made it 225K miles and my yukon is at 216k miles... ticking time bomb (pun intended). My last truck was sold at 165K miles and never had an issue or even a tick.
Ive had 4 LS motors go 300k miles WITHOUT ever being apart. 00 Burb 5.3 312k (wife totaled, still ran great) 04 Burb 5.3 309k miles, still have as a back up vehicle, still runs good. 01 Z71 Silverado 5.3 332k miles, my beater.
THe worse thing any of them had was the notorious piston slap when cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post

100% agree. Not only is the GM smallblock a relaible engine, but even the new versions are pretty easy/cheap to repair.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #35
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Till a lifter breaks..............
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #36
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Lame bud ...very lame. Let me get back to my chips.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #37
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
You are the idiocy, buy a Mustang and save us all from your BS..
Old 06-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #38
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

if one breaks after 300k miles, id have no problem with that.

what i DO have a problem with is having timing chain issues at 114k miles.

anyway, i can see this thread going nowhere, so il just sit back and wait for my lifters to fail since i apparently have one of GMs most UNreliable engines......
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #39
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
You are the idiocy, buy a Mustang and save us all from your BS..
Hey don't talk to him like that. He has owned more ls motors then all of us combined.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #40
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Women control most of the major purchases here in this country. Don't believe me, look at the popularity of the soft rounded feminine like designed automobiles over the last few years. They all look like soft melted jelly bean wedges because that's what women find "cute" or "attractive"in styling. CUV's are all the rage right now and getting even more popular because that's what women prefer nowadays. Now, I'm not hating on women, but their influence has affected the auto industry for quite some time and in many cases, much to the detriment of the male enthusiast car buying segment.

I don't knkw what year you're living in, by I suspect it might 1985. You make it sound like the current V6 is a 125hp 2.8L from the mid 80's. They are not. They are a far cry from those little putt putt engines as you like to call them. If I wanted to putt around town getting good gas mileage, I would have bought a 4cyl Kia or a Prius.

The Camaro V6 offers a termendous amount of performance for the price point. Is it as fast as a V8? Of course not. However, the L99 and LS3 are not as fast as a 6th gen LT1 V8 and they are only a few tenths faster than the 6th gen V6.

323 hp and <6 sec 0-60's is still respectable even today. When your average stock L99 is pulling 13.2's in the 1/4 mile, the 5th gen V6 does it in 13.9-14.0, or in the case of the 6th gen V6, 13.5 secs. That's a pretty good performance value in my opinion.

Not quite that simple. To delete it, you have go inside the top end and get new lifters. Then, you have to eliminate it in the stock tune. Then, you need to eliminate the AFM valves in the exhaust and the costs start to escalate.

The 5th gen V6 needs none of this except for perhaps a good catch can and clean-side separator. Those are easy bolt ons like an intake. No retune needed. The LS may be the best V8 platform to date, but so is the V6. The LFX-LGX is the best V6 platform to date and offers an incredible amount of performance for the price. And, if we had the same aftermarket support as the LS platform, we would be tearing it up at the track.

For now, what limited support we do have can push us just over 400 hp N/A at the crank. For a 217 cid engine, that's pretty darn impressive IMO.
I love how you just pull numbers out of your ass.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #41
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
I love how you just pull numbers out of your ass.
Just like afm valves in the exhaust... which as far as I’m aware don’t even exist on the 5th gen cars
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 AM   #42
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Cheerlead the V6 all you want.Take your mighty v6 to the track.. .just try it. Then bring back your 14.4 et time slip. Then "you" go jump into a 6th gen v6 and report back with your 14 flat slip. In either car your ass will be handed to you by a l99 or ls3 5th gen. You and the other V6 drag racer both have the slowest cars in the Camaro lineup in the last 9 years. When you would finish in last ...don't chirp the cars ahead of you...it looks bad.
I don't care about just 1/4 mile times. I only cared about getting the "best bang" for my buck back in '15 for my $18.9k. If I did care about just straight line 1/4 mile times, I would've invested the $18.9k to mod up my '89 GTA and that would certainly smoke a lot of stock and modded V8's on this site.

Also, I don't have the "slowest" Camaro in 9 years. I have a 1LS 6M. The 2LS auto is the slowest Camaro.

That 6th gen with the 14 flat 1/4 mile time doesn't exist on the V6. Those are solid mid 13 sec cars. With the new A10 for '19, they might be even faster now. Yep, the V6 is getting closer all the time Bubba.

Anyway, I was talking about the V6, not the 4cyl. I thought I made that pretty clear in my previous post..

Last edited by gringo; 06-06-2019 at 06:28 AM.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote