Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #29
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if $10k is a big loan remember your going to be replacing tires on the SS 15,000 miles or so figure $1200 every 12000 miles. Id never buy a v6 muscle car. i dont see the point. Id say tell your parents not to spoil you with buying you a car and get a used cheap but reliable car until you have a steady career.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #30
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I don’t think it’s a good idea either. For sure get a V6 if you do it.

But who am I to talk? I packed up my 63 impala with a hot rod 327 and drove it from Portland to the SF Bay Area. Sometimes it made it the 750 mile trek home without a repair. Sometimes not. But that was the same car I drove in high school. Ended up keeping that car almost 20 years.

Get a 4th gen w LS1. Hatchback has plenty of space for cargo during moves. Way more than the current cars. You could find a nice one for under $10K.
There was a black 99 TA that just sold on BaT with under 10K original miles that sold
For $12.5K. 6 speed car too.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:42 AM   #31
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Take advice from this internet stranger and just tell yourself now is not the time for a newish car. Especially one with a V8. If your parents are paying for your gas..then eh ok maybe but still I been down this road. Bought an evo x (brand new at the time) when I was in college. Insurance was killer and my payment was ridiculous thanks to no credit. Somehow I did school, had a somewhat social life and worked long hours and had it payed off.

All I'm saying is. Get a civic SI or something fun with good fuel eco<2012. Insurance is going to be high but you'll have a payed off car and have cash readily available since you didnt use all 22k. Hopefully just 10k was used..if that
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #32
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Buy a used Silverado with 60,000 miles. You will need it with getting your life started, with moving and furniture etc...take the money you save and buy more house..... then when things settle down buy a used SS...
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #33
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Keep this mind, you're under 21, you're in school and you're unemployed. Chances are, regardless of your down payment, since you do not have a verifiable source of reliable income, your folks will most likely have to co-sign on any loan. So, they will probably have some say in the matter.

That said, I would listen to what they say, because if, at this point, they have $22,000 laying around to throw at your new car, they have done something right.

Another thought, even if you only finance $10-$15K on a 2SS, your insurance payment is probably going to be higher than the car payment.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #34
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
If you get a Camaro in your situation and you are looking for a commuter car I also recommend the V6. It is the most economical one to own of all the Camaros- lower insurance, the best gas mileage and it's the only one that takes regular gas, NOT premium. You save a lot of money every week not having to buy premium gas. Even the 4 cylinder turbo Camaro requires premium fuel. When you are on a tight budget it makes a difference. Camaros are good, fun cars, so much fun to drive versus a cookie cutter Corolla, Civic or Altima.

My case is similar to yours, except I am at the opposite end of the spectrum and close to retirement. I considered an SS, even considered a V6 1LE brand new. I instead bought a used very low mileage V6 1LT Camaro, manual 6 speed. I saved at 15-20K by doing this- and I did not have to take out a loan. The car is great for commuting and can get you into trouble if you are not careful. I average 34 MPG in it on my long commute to work. Love it and it's so much better than a cookie cutter car and gets the same MPG. When you get older and graduate you can upgrade to an SS, or any car you want. You have plenty of time!

After owning and driving many, many cars over the course of my life time I would recommend another good choice- a VW GTI. I have one now and it's a true blast to drive. And the hatchback gives a ton of practical room. Someone in another post recommended a Fiesta ST- been there done that. It handles great but it's underpowered and needs a tune and modifications to be "normal". Very slow off the line as 1st and second gear it's detuned from the factory.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #35
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Well I bit the bullet when I was a Sr and got a brand new loaded 2SS 1LE. I would not have done it any other way. Yah I knew getting a V6 or I4 would have saved me lots of money, but when else will you have time to do it? There is always the next expense in life. You will say "Ok once I am out of college Ill get the V8", and then a house is on your mind. Then you all the sudden get married. Then have kids. Not the smartest financial move to get it now......but is it ever? Nope! So enjoy it while you can. If you have the funds to make it work, then its worth it
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #36
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Man people are WAAY overpaying for tires - $1200 if you go for the original run flats, sure, but you can get name brand tires in the same size for about half that.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #37
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Based on your two choices, I vote for the V6. You could put some of the cost differential between the V6 and V8 toward an extended warranty and not have to worry so much about potential maintenance costs until you are out of college. And most people will not know the difference between a V6 and V8 Camaro.

While others are suggesting cheaper options and simply investing the money, that gets into your future planning. For all I know, your parents may own a Fortune 500 company, you will get your degree, and be their new CIO. There is no question that cars are horrible investments! But if you want a car, you want a car.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #38
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Econobox for now.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #39
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
I'm not buying a Camaro to get a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder........

2SS??? I don't care about fluffy junk, I've never met a touchscreen I don't want to make a punchscreen.

1SS or LT1 car, split the middle and get the real one and ditch the fluff.
OP, this is a classic example of a forum bully. Just ignore them. This person doesn't like either of your choices so they want to bully you into getting something that isn't even on your radar. They completely gloss over the fact that your parents are requiring the safety features that are on 2LT or 2SS.

Basically, what you need to do is make the decision that makes the most sense to you financially. As a college student, the last thing you should do is take on debt for a car loan. I would personally get a nice, clean used 2LT and drive the wheels off of it while in school.

If it were me, I would look for a 2LT 1LE V6 and enjoy the hell out of it.
GearheadSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #40
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
Man people are WAAY overpaying for tires - $1200 if you go for the original run flats, sure, but you can get name brand tires in the same size for about half that.
You must be referring to standard 1ss and 2ss 245/40R20 & 275/35R20, unless you're buying take offs from the dealer, finding tires for the 1LE is most certainly always going to be around $1200 for the minimum. 285 and 305's are not being found for $600 anywhere.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #41
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
As a college student, the last thing you should do is take on debt for a car loan.
This I do agree with. I would skip the 2SS unless the First Bank of Mom and Dad is an option for the loan.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #42
Turbo18

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
I currently have a 2018 2SS and love it. Prior car was a 2010 RS fully loaded with the V6.

However, in your current situation, I would go with the V6 (consider a manual also). While the V8 is a blast, it really is overkill for the street. If you've got the extra cash then why not, but as a student you could likely use the saved money for other fun things.

The joy of a fun toy can be faded fast with ongoing payments which might make you give up other cool things.

The V6 Camaro is plenty fast, handles great and has the same style.

Wait until you've got a full time job with lots of extra cash and then consider the V8.
Turbo18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, 2ss, pricing