Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #29
Proroc

Drives: 2013 Red ZL1 Coupe
Hey don't let this get you down...The best thing is you are ok and can always replace the car. The is an old saying in the car business. They build them everyday so don't worry about the car.

Just relax and take easy with your friends. Time fixes everything.

3000 miles now..7.97 1/8 mile on Drs, Autocross, and 2.14 full course at VIR.

SOLD!!! 2010 BLACK ON BLACK 2SS LS3, WHTIE STRIPES, Permachrome factory rims widen 10.75 rear 305/35 nittos, 275s p-zeros on the front, LIVERNOIS TUNED MAGIE-550RWHP, ROTO FAB, EBACH PROKIT, SLP emblems
Proroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #30
bumblebee rules

Drives: 2010 BumbleBee ready to go now
Sucks Shaun, so very sorry to hear about this. It has been said before , at least you are OK. The sun will come up again and you will get another one soon we all hope eh. :-)
bumblebee rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #31
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Cool

Come on man...Get back up on the horse and ride again

Even race car drivers have accidents!
camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #32
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
Everything was left on. Traction control just wasnt enough to prevent me from slamming into the tree. Driving at the 30-35km/s that I was orginally doing would probally have saved me.
Glad to see you made it out alive. A car is a car, and it can be replaced.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #33
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
It was black ice. the road looked like it was just plowd. This was in the capilino area in Edmonton.
oh black ice can get the best of any driver! Best wishes ~ We are here for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Shaun,
First off, I'm glad you survived to tell the story, not to mention type it out. Telling your story is part of the healing process, and we are always here for each other. Don't ever feel that you have no one to confide in, with anything, because that is farthest from the truth.

It takes a 'man' (or women) of sound mind to admit to fault, and you have surpassed the most difficult part. Although your car was not properly equipped for the conditions, I would make sure the car gets mechanically checked over, just to make sure something, out of your control, did not occur (I still believe this car is built with the highest of standards).

Please don't feel guilty about what happened, it could have happended to any one of us, in any condition (dry or wet). I'm glad you will not lose your love & passion for the car, and that is a positive sign. I'm sure it's very easy to blame yourself for everything, but that's human nature, give yourself time to sort through this ordeal. I truly believe, that you will one day be back behind the wheel of a Camaro.

Hang in there man...

p.s. Please check back in, when you're feeling better, so we know you're O.K.
Well said

and please do check back so we know you are ok Shaun.
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #34
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Our condolences my friend...

Hang in there. Honestly, once you hit black ice there is almost nothing you can do regardless of what tires you have. Tires that are made for handing ice will still slip and slide, its only a matter of how much.

Don't beat yourself up on this . Like another poster said, even the best drivers sometimes have accidents (that's why they're called accidents).

Hopefully the Killer will be back on the road - if not, there's always used ones out there and its better to have had the opportunity to have had the ride than never have had it at all.

Time DOES heal all wounds - physical and emotional.

Please keep in touch....

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #35
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Unfortunately this story is going to be repeated time and time again.

There have been countless threads on here about the need to replace Summer Only tires with winter or all season. I posted in Oct that with 40 years of driving ( and some competition driving) that in our 1st day of cold weather the car behaved like you were driving on marbles.

After I saw all the posts about " I can drive in 6 inches of snow with these tires" I asked if it was so important to be macho or was the family member or perfect stranger going to pay?

What if this was not an oak tree but a group of children?

Edmonton one day last week for 3 hours was the coldest place in North America. Colder than the Arctic. Edmonton gets ICE. Vancouver gets black ice. Vancouver and Victoria MIGHT be the only place in Canada where a taxi OVER THE WINTER could cost less than a tire change.

I am not shedding any tears for that car. I am glad there was no lower branch to kill the driver.

When the insurance adjuster sees Summer Only tires on the wreck there may be no insurance. In BC he would get a ticket for driving on those tires.

I ask again...Why do so many think they are smarter than the engineers at Pirelli ?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #36
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
My moms fusion has a brand new set of winter tires, good ones too. The other night i was driving my girlfriend home in the fusion. I knew the roads would be slippery, anyways i was going about 15km an hour and hit a patch of black ice on the way out of my street and the fusion broke loose, i just let off the gas, coasted a bit and began slightly braking. Going at a speed of 15km, i had no problems controlling the slip. But this brings me onto my next point. Winter tires. No matter how good the tires are, they are not like Jesus. I hate hearing and seeing people think that winter tires give them as much grip and performance as someone would get on dry roads. That is completely wrong. You get better grip, but not nearly as much as your are used to on dryer and wamer roads. When i see suvs fly by me on the highway, then in a ditch, it does not surprise me one bit. Black ice gets the best of drivers and winter tires.
If killerbee hit black ice, with or without winter tires, the car wouldve still been uncontrolable but the outcome may have been a little different.
I agree, summer tires are useless and should not be used when the temps are under 7C but what im saying is that winter tires on black ice does not make a huge difference either.
Before we got winter tires, i researched for a week. I found out alot of info to make sure my mom doesnt become over confident with driving with winter tires on.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #37
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Unfortunately this story is going to be repeated time and time again.

There have been countless threads on here about the need to replace Summer Only tires with winter or all season. I posted in Oct that with 40 years of driving ( and some competition driving) that in our 1st day of cold weather the car behaved like you were driving on marbles.

After I saw all the posts about " I can drive in 6 inches of snow with these tires" I asked if it was so important to be macho or was the family member or perfect stranger going to pay?

What if this was not an oak tree but a group of children?

Edmonton one day last week for 3 hours was the coldest place in North America. Colder than the Arctic. Edmonton gets ICE. Vancouver gets black ice. Vancouver and Victoria MIGHT be the only place in Canada where a taxi OVER THE WINTER could cost less than a tire change.

I am not shedding any tears for that car. I am glad there was no lower branch to kill the driver.

When the insurance adjuster sees Summer Only tires on the wreck there may be no insurance. In BC he would get a ticket for driving on those tires.

I ask again...Why do so many think they are smarter than the engineers at Pirelli ?
With summer tires, no insurance would pay for a new car unless somehow they overlook the tires, which I would imagine would be the first cause they would look for. It would stink to have car payments for five more years and no car..
Old 12-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #38
drksthr
.dead in ditches.

Drives: 2006 Mustang
glad to hear that you're alright.. that's the main thing..

there is always another 5th gen camaro but not another you...

you'll be back on your feet and in the seat of a 5th gen in no time...
if it's meant to be.. it will happen

everyone has their ups and downs and you'll still have the support of us camaro5.com members...

keep us updated..
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #39
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
When I bought our snows from Tire Rack I could have had them studded for only $15. per tire. If I lived in Edmonton or any where in AB. I would have.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #40
BLK Panthr
BLK Panthr

Drives: 09 Silverado 3500, 10 Camaro SSRS
As an X Flat Lander, when I lived in Calagary and had My 67 (390) Farlane 500 (which my wife made into a Datsun) equiped with all studded tires I would not show up on the Highway unless it was with Calgary Transit, Although on the VI my toys sit in heated garage on cold snowy days Unless I see a string of above 5 degree days and nights. Tires are everything this coming from a tire mans son inlaw. I would never take out my cars with P's below 5 degrees celius.
BLK Panthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #41
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Shaun,
First off, I'm glad you survived to tell the story, not to mention type it out. Telling your story is part of the healing process, and we are always here for each other. Don't ever feel that you have no one to confide in, with anything, because that is farthest from the truth.

It takes a 'man' (or women) of sound mind to admit to fault, and you have surpassed the most difficult part. Although your car was not properly equipped for the conditions, I would make sure the car gets mechanically checked over, just to make sure something, out of your control, did not occur (I still believe this car is built with the highest of standards).

Please don't feel guilty about what happened, it could have happened to any one of us, in any condition (dry or wet). I'm glad you will not lose your love & passion for the car, and that is a positive sign. I'm sure it's very easy to blame yourself for everything, but that's human nature, give yourself time to sort through this ordeal. I truly believe, that you will one day be back behind the wheel of a Camaro.

Hang in there man...

p.s. Please check back in, when you're feeling better, so we know you're O.K.
+1

Very, very well said!!!...we do care!!!...be well, friend!!!...
Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #42
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Wow... I got a sick feeling in my gut just reading about it. I'm so glad you're out of the hospital and doing okay! Ultimately, cars are expendable, but your life isn't. Thank God it wasn't worse, and believe me... it could have been much, much worse.

You wrecked a car and lived to tell the tale. You're a survivor, now. And you know what survivors do... they don't quit. They take their hits, they own up to their mistakes and face life head-on and get back into the game when they're ready, lessons learned. I, for one, am impressed beyond measure that you came on here (IN PUBLIC!) and outlined your situation as you did, showed where you went wrong and owned up to it. No excuses given. Forgive the phrase, man, but that takes balls.

I can imagine the depression, as I suffered from it briefly a while ago after going through some trauma. The limbic system of your brain is in shock and that will affect everything about you for a little while... your emotions, physical drives, sleep, appetite, stress response. You get the picture. The good news is that in the vast majority of cases, it's temporary. You'll recover, and you'll get that spark back.

Camaro5 is here for you. If you need to vent, rage, or just ramble on... we're more than happy to listen(read) and encourage you.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by Ravirn; 12-30-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Ravirn is offline   Reply With Quote