Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #407
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Caprice PPV 2014 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
What, if any, penalties/added tax/import fees/gas guzzler, etc. is associated with owning an American car in Sweden? Surely there must be some downside. ?
OH YEAH! Switzerland:
In 1993 I could claim my cars tax free as personal property as long as I did not sell them within a year (I didn't)
Today the import duty can be >50% 0f the value of the car. Then there is:
Value added tax
Import fees (not the same as import duty)
A whole list of "criteria" the car must meet including Swiss specific Co2 and pollution requirements (arcane, bizarre) Customs Authorization 18.44 (don't ask)...oh yeah and you must have an owners manual! Truly weird.
Scotavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #408
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
acceleration yes. top speed nope
around a race track nope.
plus 20k for new batteries once they are 8 years old.
no thanks
I do believe there is a niche market for electric vehicles, mostly in urban areas and possibly some fleet applications. However in the United States I do not believe it's feasible to replace the 285 million combustion vehicles we have today regardless of what the current idiots in Washington would like you to believe. Just look at the facts!

1. Lithium batteries contain "rare earth metals" Rare because they are difficult to acquire and cause great damage and pollution to mine. There is only 1 active mine in the US....everything else comes from China and Russia.

2. Our power grid cannot handle it. Like most people plug their cell phone in at night, can you imagine 285 million cars being charged in the middle of summer or winter?

3. Infrastructure! It will take years and years to put adequate charging stations across the nation, and well before then another administration will scrap the entire plan.

4. Cost! Most people reading this can afford the 40-50k these vehicles cost on the low end, but what about the single mom with 2 kids that can afford a used Malibu to transport her family and go to work?

I think the technology is great, but I don't believe it will be commonplace in my lifetime.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #409
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
This is probably the only time in history that is the case. Once the vehicle manufacturers can finally get caught back up again it will be back to normal
Sweden may be car heaven, I don't know; but if you only look at trade in value and original purchase price? See my incomplete list of added costs which together can easily skyrocket that baseline cost. All of Europe is radically more expensive for everything than the US. Which is why the mean net worth of a new Swiss citizen emigrating from anywhere was >$ 44 million USD.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:01 PM   #410
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotavo View Post
Many people "drop jaw" when they have a 0-60 race with a Model 3. Even those in a ZL-1, which costs a lot more than a 3. Stop light fun? I have no use for electric cars but acknowledge reality. 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, or less. Not my choice but that super low center of gravity does make them handle too.
Model 3 0-60 is 5.6. Model S correctly equipped has the 3 second 0-60.

Not saying electric cars suck. They just suck as race cars.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 03-23-2022 at 03:13 PM.
CamaroCracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #411
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Model 3 0-60 is 5.6. Model S correctly equipped has the 3 second 0-60.
A variety of sites say you are wrong about Model 3 being 5.6. Its not, they average saying 0-60 in 3 seconds. No one claims 3.0 for even a ZL-1.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:07 PM   #412
Scotavo
Account Suspended

This just in!

https://electrek.co/2019/11/14/tesla...02.8%20seconds.

The Performance Model 3 was able to complete the quarter mile in just 11.785 seconds, about 0.9 seconds quicker than the mid-trim car.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #413
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotavo View Post
https://electrek.co/2019/11/14/tesla...02.8%20seconds.

The Performance Model 3 was able to complete the quarter mile in just 11.785 seconds, about 0.9 seconds quicker than the mid-trim car.
How many times? Twice? It’s a one trick pony. Hard acceleration rapidly drains the battery. I can lap all day and not need 30 minutes to charge. Drag races are fun, and electric cars are good at that, but put in some turns and goodbye. Plus the 2 Tesla’s I’ve been in looked like they were assembled in Haiti. Great quality control and fit & finish.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:33 PM   #414
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Your emotions are not tools of cognition

I'd never own one, but those assertions made about value that appear in this thread? Original cost/resale value and electrics. Why not just accept humans are idiosyncratic. Someone who wants an expensive Tesla is like someone who wants a Rolex. (they're all expensive) Matter of taste and net worth. As I said
" For most, its the emotion of the cars ownership, and not the performance. "
Old 03-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #415
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
The guys criticizing electric cars remind me of when battery powered tools started coming out to construction sites and all the contractors constantly going on and on about how they will never work and extension chords will never be replaced by batteries because it’s not feasible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #416
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
How many times? Twice? It’s a one trick pony. Hard acceleration rapidly drains the battery. I can lap all day and not need 30 minutes to charge. Drag races are fun, and electric cars are good at that, but put in some turns and goodbye. Plus the 2 Tesla’s I’ve been in looked like they were assembled in Haiti. Great quality control and fit & finish.
Here’s a good, balanced article from Road & Track where they put a Model 3 Performance on the track. Some limitations but it did surprising well in many areas:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/

It’s an entertaining article and I’d encourage electric car lovers and non-lovers to give it a read. I’m kind of neutral on the whole electric thing personally - drawbacks and advantages, just like most things in life.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #417
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
engineers have had many years to perfect ICE cars,give EVs time and they will be good or replaced with something better...remember chryslers turbine car?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:10 PM   #418
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
Here’s a good, balanced article from Road & Track where they put a Model 3 Performance on the track. Some limitations but it did surprising well in many areas:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/

It’s an entertaining article and I’d encourage electric car lovers and non-lovers to give it a read. I’m kind of neutral on the whole electric thing personally - drawbacks and advantages, just like most things in life.
I will say thanks for posting the link, but it’s hardly “balanced”. Magazines are under real pressure to push the EV agenda to the point one fired a writer that refused to toe the line. I agree on there are advantages and disadvantages. ICE vehicles weren’t always the dominant choice for personal transportation, but they won out without “cheating” like government subsidies, green zones, and other political meddling. The reality is there is no reliable infrastructure for mass use of EV’s but it’s being shoved down our throats regardless. Nuclear is the way forward for bringing mass use EV’s to fruition, but it’s a conundrum for the leftists. I’d like to see both options. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:32 PM   #419
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I have a Rolex story. (mentioned above) Short version:

Married a rich girl in 1987 but she flew the coup. (Coupe?)
She bought me a ‘pre owned’ Rolex.
Wore the watch about 7-8 years.
After she split it quit running.
Took it into the shop - $900 repair bill.
Jeweler asked if I took it in every two years for lube service. Lube service? Uh, no, I thought that’s why you have an expensive Swiss watch, because it’ll run forever. Nope. Apparently they dry out and take gears with it.

Like a friggin Ferrari…(Tesla?) you’d better figure on price relative upkeep.

(I bought TWO Citizen watches for what he gave me. He made out but I wasn’t going to do the maintenance…still running since 2010)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #420
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
mines a cheapo fossil...battery has been replaced a couple of times by the" jeweler' at the little booth in the mall.it gets dunked in salt water every time i go to the beach...just keeps on running.glad it aint a rolex.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote