Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #421
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
Here's how the plenum spacer looks. Will elaborate more when I get more of a chance later on.
are you going to provide risers for the 4 bolts in the middle to seal and support that as well?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #422
gotexas25
Camaroholic

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Looks like Ill be receiving another package from australia when these are out
gotexas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #423
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wow another spacer?! Awesome, what kinda of gains or imporvments can one expect to see from the plenum spacer?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #424
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Hmmm hmm.... more for the LLT!!??

This is probably the best time for us LLT folks and only getting started!
Hopefully it will continue that way, unless we get copied out of the market :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarc View Post
wait wait wait can we get this now to
We have some here at the moment from my understanding ready to be shipped, except for the fasteners. Initially we won't be supplying them only because people may have different manifold insulator combos etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Another mod? How much hp/tq does this claim?
No idea yet, soon though

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
are you going to provide risers for the 4 bolts in the middle to seal and support that as well?
Much like our 350Z plenum spacers, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotexas25 View Post
Looks like Ill be receiving another package from australia when these are out
See how you go with the 25's first as you may very well be happy with the way the car runs with just these and need not have to mod anymore(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
wow another spacer?! Awesome, what kinda of gains or imporvments can one expect to see from the plenum spacer?
Contrary to what other people have mentioned about "plenum insulators" it has a very very small impact on heat transfer inside the manifold air given the position of the runners in side the manifold. And if you already have a manifold insulator then it will do even less in this department from a practical perspective.

Sure it may be even cooler to touch the cover but one shouldn't be mislead into thinking that's how it works.

The primary reason for them working is that they slow the incoming air around the runners. This aides with better air distribution between runners and reduces the internal pressure drop of the manifold itself, which results in more uniform combustion cycles between cylinders along with more air being crammed in.

This, in theory, results in the good outcome of making more power

How much more? Well the LLT is quite a good manifold off the bat in this department so I'm not expecting a huge amount of power gains, but there should be gains to be had for people who push these things, especially if forced induction is used

Hope this helps,
Steve
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #425
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6666 View Post
Maybe I'm reading tur graph wrong - but doesn't yur engine loose peak power beyond 6k? Seems the low end average improvement may make it worth the top end loose though.
You're not. In saying this though some car have experienced gains all the way to redline with even the 25mm spacers though as bmorecam has experienced.

Generally though, longer runners offer a better driving experience down low while short runner offer a better experience top end, there is no way around this unless you have a variable geometry inlet manifold or boost. Then you're more likely to have the best of both worlds
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #426
gotexas25
Camaroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
See how you go with the 25's first as you may very well be happy with the way the car runs with just these and need not have to mod anymore(?)
I installed the insulator a few days ago, and the low end torque improvement made it well worth the buy! Unfortunately the cars not quite fast enough...yet
Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #427
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotexas25 View Post
I installed the insulator a few days ago, and the low end torque improvement made it well worth the buy! Unfortunately the cars not quite fast enough...yet
fast enough...not sure if there is a solution for that other than strapping on a rocket engine. fyi...you have a lot of rotational mass by running 22" that will effect how quickly your car takes off. if you were to dyno between your OEM wheels and your 22's i bet you'd gain at least 15HP back.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #428
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
OK, its Saturday and I got my Mace 25mm and Vararam Intake installed. I got the Vararam in with NO modifications. The only problem is the gap in the front is sightly smaller but it fits.

The intake horn sits straight against the throttle body...

I was planning on modifying the Vararam intake to get the the gap in the front bigger but what I realized is it glued with some heavy duty stuff in the front and its impossible to get that glue to let go. I think the next thing I will do is order another horn and lower intake from vararam unglued in two pieces so I can recut it and glue the horn up higher.

This is what I wanted to do to the Vararam intake...

Here's the insulator...

Tight fit..

I did some porting of my own. Not a big deal but I wanted to insulator holes to match the intake manifold holes to match a little better.. I spent about 30 mins doing that.

So my opinion of the insulator?? WOW!!! Much better on the low end torque. She pulls hard. My neck hurts. This is well worth the $$$. Good bang for the buck.

Also after driving for 30 mins I popped the hood open touched the intake and it was ice cold. So I love my MACEOLATOR!!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!

Last edited by Mach; 02-18-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #429
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Mach, it look good the way it is.. it's a tiny bit small in the front but I doubt if that will cause any problem. Thank you for even trying this out. I guess vararam will be going back in!!
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #430
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Mach, it look good the way it is.. it's a tiny bit small in the front but I doubt if that will cause any problem. Thank you for even trying this out. I guess vararam will be going back in!!
Due to the slight differences in motors... I've seen guys with stock motors have the gap I have now. So for now I will leave it alone. I will order the vararam stuff and work on it when I get bored.

Now I need your secret Trifecta tune Bmore!!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #431
gotexas25
Camaroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
fast enough...not sure if there is a solution for that other than strapping on a rocket engine. fyi...you have a lot of rotational mass by running 22" that will effect how quickly your car takes off. if you were to dyno between your OEM wheels and your 22's i bet you'd gain at least 15HP back.
Hahaha or strapping on Tracy's supercharger when the numbers are available I unintentionally bought lightweight 22s that only weigh 1 pound more in the rear, but I know Id still pick up power. I would switch back but my OEM set was lost to Houston streets (the city didn't notice a almost foot deep pothole across the whole street, 2 tires blew and the rims were bent to hell )
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #432
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
OK, its Saturday and I got my Mace 25mm and Vararam Intake installed. I got the Vararam in with NO modifications. The only problem is the gap in the front is sightly smaller but it fits.

The intake horn sits straight against the throttle body...

I was planning on modifying the Vararam intake to get the the gap in the front bigger but what I realized is it glued with some heavy duty stuff in the front and its impossible to get that glue to let go. I think the next thing I will do is order another horn and lower intake from vararam unglued in two pieces so I can recut it and glue the horn up higher.

This is what I wanted to do to the Vararam intake...

Here's the insulator...

Tight fit..

I did some porting of my own. Not a big deal but I wanted to insulator holes to match the intake manifold holes to match a little better.. I spent about 30 mins doing that.

So my opinion of the insulator?? WOW!!! Much better on the low end torque. She pulls hard. My neck hurts. This is well worth the $$$. Good bang for the buck.

Also after driving for 30 mins I popped the hood open touched the intake and it was ice cold. So I love my MACEOLATOR!!
So you were able to port the "Maceolator" material?
I wasn't sure if it would tolerate this well. Any opinions on this practice from Mace, Steve?
It would be nice to know for future options-Thanks!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #433
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
So you were able to port the "Maceolator" material?
I wasn't sure if it would tolerate this well. Any opinions on this practice from Mace, Steve?
It would be nice to know for future options-Thanks!
I didn't have a die grinder so used rolled up some sandpaper. No a big deal. The casting process of the intake manifold isn't perfect. Every manifold isn't EXACTLY the same. I got mine to match up great with some elbow grease.

I removed material where the RED is..

Last edited by Mach; 02-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #434
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Mach,

I'm super impressed that you were able to get the Vararam to work with the 25mm insulator, nice work man! Do you have any pictures of what the gap on your car looked like with the Vararam before the insulator went on? I'm curious how much it changed, since you're exactly right everyone's Vararam seems to sit a little bit differently and you see people with gaps ranging from just under the "key fob standard" to just over it. Awesome work man!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote