Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #491
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
It's not that you can't, everyone is different so depending on your particular body type, exercise routine and caloric need some may even find it useful. Generally speaking when at rest you typically burn fewer calories, unlike proteins, a surplus of carbs, not burned by normal bodily functions are more likely to get stored as fat. Again, if not followed is it a fail all, no,
but I believe there is some merit to it and practice it myself. If you're going to undergo the task you may as well take advantage of everything proven to have advantages.
Having trouble comprehending what you're trying to say but there are 0 benefits of NOT consuming carbs or any calories before bed when it comes to body composition. Where are the "advantages" you are speaking of.

actually most people sleep better when having carbs before bed, and it won't make them gain weight if its in their daily calorie allowance so why not
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #492
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
I tend to agree with you. I am losing weight eating whatever I want as long as it is in the allotted calorie count (currently at 1800 a day for me). This is an interesting article on a study done in the mid 60's regarding calories VS types of food eaten. For the record I like to get a full belly, so I eat lots of foods that have fewer calories per ounce so I can shovel more into my gizzard. That doesn't mean I avoid any foods though, but I tend to eat more whole and natural foods as my wife and I like to cook too. So far my weight loss has been 13lbs lost between Jan 2nd and March 8th. Exercise has been minimum. <<that changes tonight by adding HIIT (my spin cycle was delivered).
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/is...a-calorie.html

When all is said and done, when your caloric intake is less than your caloric expenditure, weight loss is a result. The kinds of foods you eat and when you eat them along with exercise/no exercise will determine what type of weight loss it is as well how quick/safe it is.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #493
stt816

Quote:
When all is said and done, when your caloric intake is less than your caloric expenditure, weight loss is a result.

The kinds of foods you eat and when you eat them along with exercise/no exercise will determine what type of weight loss it is as well how quick/safe it is.

had it right to begin with...calories in calories out

then contridicted yourself
2nd bold is false
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #494
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
CFD, what I find is that most people have no idea how many calories they put into their bodies. The assumption is that this item I am consuming is healthy so if I eat a metric ton of it it is fine. Meanwhile the caloric count is through the roof and there is no benefit gained from eating that "healthy" item. I would challenge everyone to count a weeks worth of their calories to get a gauge of where they are at (if losing weight is a goal).

Edit: Counting calories isn't easy and may be the hardest thing I do on a daily basis. I use the app "Fat Secret".
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #495
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
This got WAYYY BETTER than I expected! really like the discussion expecially in a respectful way!

Now @stt816 what do you recommen to me? As far a workout routine and eating plan? Goal: not looking to lose weight, just flat my stomach and look good...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #496
stt816

Quote:
CFD, what I find is that most people have no idea how many calories they put into their bodies. The assumption is that this item I am consuming is healthy so if I eat a metric ton of it it is fine. Meanwhile the caloric count is through the roof and there is no benefit gained from eating that "healthy" item. I would challenge everyone to count a weeks worth of their calories to get a gauge of where they are at (if losing weight is a goal).
EXACTLY!!! this is the problem with "clean eating" people think they don't need to count calories because it is "healthy" guess what, that huge plate of chicken/rice/broccoli you just ate will make you gain weight just as easy as pizza with the same amount of calories.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #497
stt816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
This got WAYYY BETTER than I expected! really like the discussion expecially in a respectful way!

Now @stt816 what do you recommen to me? As far a workout routine and eating plan? Goal: not looking to lose weight, just flat my stomach and look good...
will PM you.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #498
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
not true....diet is ALWAYS more important, you can lift all the weights you want and not lose any weight, you need to be in a deficit to lose weight simple as that

that being said I would place you on a weight lifting routine as the base...with cardio on the off days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
If you are truly wanting to transform your body (ie not just lose weight on a scale) lifting weights is as important as diet...
Yes it is true. If you reread my post, I said transform your body. No amount of diet will give Kevin the muscle mass he needs to transform his body. He may lose weight but his overall "shape" will remain the same. It may be a smaller version....but alas the same. "We" need to stop being a slave to the scale.......

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #499
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
had it right to begin with...calories in calories out

then contridicted yourself
2nd bold is false
Quote:

Edit: Counting calories isn't easy and may be the hardest thing I do on a daily basis. I use the app "Fat Secret".
If you've followed along all the threads I've participated in you will notice that I always say people have no idea how many calories they consume, I always strongly suggest keeping an accurate food log so you KNOW and can adjust accordingly.

I in no way contradicted myself, if you eat less calories than you burn you will loose weight, but if you are trying to tell me that eating pizza, in the appropriate calorie range will have the same affects as eating healthy non processed foods in the appropriate calorie range , will have the same effects on health, fat loss and muscle gain then I STRONGLY disagree.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #500
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
why can't you consume excessive carbs before sleep....I could easily hit all my fiber throughout the day and have a pop tart right in bed if it fits, why not...

Given I did not read ALL 20 pages, i do not believe I am repeating what has been going on in this thread...what i am saying is

nutrient timing is irrelevant to weight loss or muscle building (meaning pre workout, post workout, before bed, breakfast is not the most important meal) worry about hitting your macros, doesn't matter how you time them
you can fit your favorite foods into your diet within reason
light weights more reps does not equal cutting
there is no definition of a "clean food"
there is no need to eat "6 small meals" no it doesn't "rev metabolism" & who has time for that? I actually find big meals more satieting
there is no need to cut out carbs to lose weight

pretty much take everything you were told about nutrition and throw it in the garbage
You can't consume excess carbs at any time, regardless if it's before bed (or you shouldn't). And no, there is no need to eat 6 small meals. But these two myths go hand in hand because of this:

Eating 6 small meals is a way to prevent overeating. A small meal results in less calories taken in at once, which prevents excess calories (because every calorie taken after stores are full are converted to fat). The thought process REALLY, is that with 6 small meals, your stores will be filled with little excess, and during the time between meals, those stores will be depleted... and so on. This train of thought goes right back to why it's important to eat breakfast. It's not just to replenish energy lost through the night (because you DO burn calories and deplete stores while sleeping), but it's more importantly to keep you from overeating during the other meals. And lets not forget, that the longer a person goes without food, the lower their insulin levels are, which means several things for the body. Keeping balanced levels instead of spiking them can be beneficial as well.

A lot of what you are saying is that there is "no need to do blah blah". While that's true, and you're not in any way incorrect, there are distinct advantages to doing some of those things that you don't NEED to do. For instance cutting carbs to lean out. Sure, you don't need to, but there are benefits of cutting carbs (not completely of course).

There are also certain nutrition timings that CAN be beneficial. Small pre-workout snack (fruit, protein) and etc to help give you some intensity during your workout. Immediately post workout can help kick your body back into an anabolic state by increasing insulin levels.

I'm not saying you're incorrect, but as said about some other things, it's not all black and white. Just like calories in < calories out... it's just not that simple, as you imply by talking about macros.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #501
stt816

Quote:
Yes it is true. If you reread my post, I said transform your body. No amount of diet will give Kevin the muscle mass he needs to transform his body. He may lose weight but his overall "shape" will remain the same. It may be a smaller version....but alas the same. "We" need to stop being a slave to the scale.......
lolololol how do you expect to "transform your body" without diet being in tact.

YES you need to lift weights to transform your body but if you don't have enough protein are you going to build muscle?

no

If you are consuming too many calories will you lose weight by lifting?

no

If you are consuming too little calories will you build muscle?

no.

diet is the base of changing your body composition
Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #502
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
"We" need to stop being a slave to the scale.......
My scale beats me unmercifully.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #503
stt816

Quote:
My scale beats me unmercifully.
don't let it!!
let the mirror/clothes fit/progress pictures be your scale
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #504
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
...but if you are trying to tell me that eating pizza, in the appropriate calorie range will have the same affects as eating healthy non processed foods in the appropriate calorie range , will have the same effects on health, fat loss and muscle gain then I STRONGLY disagree.
+1

Although FWIW, it's important to know that not ALL processed food is bad. Fresh frozen greens are technically processed, by definition, as are things like canned tuna.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote