Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #43
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Be careful on any claims that adding HP doesn't impact durability and reliabilty (2 different things).

Adding HP adds heat. Heat is bad for everything. You can add countermeasures, better cooling, better oil etc.

Adding HP with boost will simply increase cylinder pressures. So stock you are hitting your piston with a hammer. Adding 100 HP increases that hammer blow. Do you think your pistons, rods, crank and bearings can all take the same number of blows with a bigger hammer? No.

And Spike is correct, the GM dyno testing alone isn't in hours, it's in cycles. It is, I believe the equivalent of on heck of a lot of 1/4 mile runs.

But for all of you that think GM has all this power in reserve, keep in mind they busted butt to get the 30 HP increase over the CTS-V. To get that 30 HP and be reliable and durable enough for a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty as well as maintain emissions compliance is a HUGE amout of work. Yes, there is plenty of power available, just not when you want to offer a 100,000 mile warranty with low emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
I'm planning on CAI / headers / high flow cats / and turning up the boost by about 4 lbs. or so in the future. Is it worth the race gas mix just for safety or will 91 be ok with a good tune?
if its tuned properly, you'll be fine on 91. cus what happens when you run low on gas on a trip or something when you don't have readily available access to race fuel?

intake, pulley, and tune are the best 3 mods you can do on this engine.

as stated before, headers will get you some gains, but the power per dollar gain will not be very pleasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
I'm thinking E85 should result in some large increases in power and lower temperatures.
E85 and Boost play well together and my Zl1 would be running on the corn.
e85 can result in power increase, but you have to remember why it does that, you effectively run more e85 fuel to get that power compared to regular gasoline.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #44
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
intake, pulley, and tune are the best 3 mods you can do on this engine.

as stated before, headers will get you some gains, but the power per dollar gain will not be very pleasing.

Ya, I agree. But I might have a free set off my SS of american racing headers. If I can't sell the car to someone other than a dealership. They're 1 7/8" primaries. Around what hp level would 2" be better than the 1 7/8" that seemed optimal for most SS's?

Time to go research the CTS-V forums.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #45
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Thinking about it I don't recall GM ever building a boosted engine without an intercooler.
I think the 301 Turbo was non-intercooled
Quote:
I'm planning on CAI / headers / high flow cats / and turning up the boost by about 4 lbs. or so in the future. Is it worth the race gas mix just for safety or will 91 be ok with a good tune?
Be carfull of mixing different octane. There is a formula online of mixing 91 and 100 to get the correct 93.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
I'm thinking E85 should result in some large increases in power and lower temperatures.
E85 and Boost play well together and my Zl1 would be running on the corn.
E85 if great for people that don't intend to use the car on road trips. E85 is not available everywhere. with E85 requires bigger injectors than stock.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #46
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
Ya, I agree. But I might have a free set off my SS of american racing headers. If I can't sell the car to someone other than a dealership. They're 1 7/8" primaries. Around what hp level would 2" be better than the 1 7/8" that seemed optimal for most SS's?

1 7/8" headers will be just fine on the ZL1. 1 7/8" headers work well on larger displacement engines with larger displacement superchargers. Some are in the 1000hp range. Bigger is not allways better, you tend to loose some low-end velocity. I would think 1 3/4" would sute the SS better.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #47
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:

well, if you've already got them then go for it. you could also do back to back dyno sessions to show hp gains (if any) with headers over stock and with a pulley change... if you've got the time and a shop willing to do it.

and I would stay with the 1 7/8" headers for a couple reasons
1. You already have them
2. 2" headers can (and usually will) give you a little bit more peak hp, however, that peak power is going to get bumped up in the RPM range. Janetty racing did a header comparison a while back comparing 1 3/4, 1 7/8 and 2" headers.

the 1 3/4" headers gave about a 30 rwhp increase over stock
the 1 7/8 made an additional 7rwhp gain over 1 3/4
and the 2" made an additional 5 rwhp gain over 1 7/8

the additional 5rwhp of the 2" headers didn't make itself really evident until after 5000rpm.

but remember, this is all peak numbers on a N/A engine, so the numbers will be a little higher on F/I, but the ratio of improvements should stay about equal.

the big questions that come down to you is:
Is it worth the money for an extra 5-10hp?
What are you going to notice more? 5-10hp or another couple grand out of your bank account?

For me, I'd stick with what I have. My manhood is secure enough in not having that "extra little bit" over the next guy.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #48
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
well, if you've already got them then go for it. you could also do back to back dyno sessions to show hp gains (if any) with headers over stock and with a pulley change... if you've got the time and a shop willing to do it.

and I would stay with the 1 7/8" headers for a couple reasons
1. You already have them
2. 2" headers can (and usually will) give you a little bit more peak hp, however, that peak power is going to get bumped up in the RPM range. Janetty racing did a header comparison a while back comparing 1 3/4, 1 7/8 and 2" headers.

the 1 3/4" headers gave about a 30 rwhp increase over stock
the 1 7/8 made an additional 7rwhp gain over 1 3/4
and the 2" made an additional 5 rwhp gain over 1 7/8

the additional 5rwhp of the 2" headers didn't make itself really evident until after 5000rpm.

but remember, this is all peak numbers on a N/A engine, so the numbers will be a little higher on F/I, but the ratio of improvements should stay about equal.

the big questions that come down to you is:
Is it worth the money for an extra 5-10hp?
What are you going to notice more? 5-10hp or another couple grand out of your bank account?

For me, I'd stick with what I have. My manhood is secure enough in not having that "extra little bit" over the next guy.
That is peak numbers what does under the curve look like?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #49
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
That is peak numbers what does under the curve look like?
let me go find the thread...

edit*

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=header

and a few comments from Ted on 1 7/8 vs 2" headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
A few Reasons, the additional cost does not justify the gains.
They are a Tighter fit.
They are Heavier
Most manufacturers offer a 1 7/8 headers so they are easier to get.
The biggest gains from headers are in the middle of the curve where you drive most and you can't tell the difference between 1 7/8 and 2 inch, on the dyno graph or in the car.

Unless your Racing you won't miss the 5 HP at 6300 RPM, your not there enough to use it on the street.

Hope this Helps.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #50
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Quote:
let me go find the thread...

edit*

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=header

and a few comments from Ted on 1 7/8 vs 2" headers
Thanks for that. It just pretty much proves my point. I try to tell that to everyones car I mod.