Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #43
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Have we really become a bunch of mindless drones!?
That describes 80% of the local drivers. They all need to be in autonomous vehicles.

It's amazing that we don't have more accidents.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #44
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post
Does anybody on the forum have a 3.6 that needs oil added between oil changes? I doubt you ran it out of oil.
Yup I had to add 2 quarts of oil over a 5000 mile period . And my car doesn't leak it out .
Old 10-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #45
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I am amazed at the stupidity of some people who believe they have zero responsibility for maintaining their vehicle.....but expect GM to be 100% responsible for their ignorance. What the hell happened to our society?! Have we really become that soft?! Have we really become a bunch of mindless drones!?
To put it simply ...... Yes
Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #46
fradaj

Drives: RS
When was the last time you checked the oil? The oil barely touches the end of the dip stick when it is a quart low, any more than that and the dip stick is completely dry.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #47
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
For $9000 you could hire a really good lawyer and make them fix it free.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 AM   #48
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
The V8 does not burn oil like the V6. This is really a V6 issue and a known issue.

I change the oil in my SS every 4K miles and lose virtually no oil in that time.

Felix - Speeding in my SS!
How do you drive your ss lol ? All jokes aside I am planning on calling gm tomorrow due to this issue in my ss which has been occurring since last year when I bought he car new . I would always get the oil changed at the dealership at the recommended time. The issue I was having is one or two thousand miles before the regular oil change I would have no oil at all . I took it to the dealership and they said it was a leaking oil filter the first time and it did it again a few months later . I called them and they told me to bring it and they checked it in front of me it had no oil . After some investigation they said it was a bad gasket and they repaired it ( this was back in April/may) i went for my oil change this past week and there was oil at the very bottom of the dipstick nowhere near the hash marks . So I have decided gm will be getting a phone call in the am .

I have a 2014 ss l99 and around 30k miles .
I know people who track their zl1 on weekends and they don't burn near as much oil this is ridiculous .
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #49
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
How do you drive your ss lol ? All jokes aside I am planning on calling gm tomorrow due to this issue in my ss which has been occurring since last year when I bought he car new . I would always get the oil changed at the dealership at the recommended time. The issue I was having is one or two thousand miles before the regular oil change I would have no oil at all . I took it to the dealership and they said it was a leaking oil filter the first time and it did it again a few months later . I called them and they told me to bring it and they checked it in front of me it had no oil . After some investigation they said it was a bad gasket and they repaired it ( this was back in April/may) i went for my oil change this past week and there was oil at the very bottom of the dipstick nowhere near the hash marks . So I have decided gm will be getting a phone call in the am .

I have a 2014 ss l99 and around 30k miles .
I know people who track their zl1 on weekends and they don't burn near as much oil this is ridiculous .

My 2010 LLT V6 uses about 1/2 quart a month, kind of caught me off guard. All of the other cars I have owned, Japanese and Korean, never used any oil. Now I make sure to check every month at the least.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #50
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
My SS doesn't burn any oil between changes. I drive easy but I have taken it to the 1/8 mile drag strip and made a few runs too. I have AFM on.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #51
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
My SS doesn't burn any oil between changes. I drive easy but I have taken it to the 1/8 mile drag strip and made a few runs too. I have AFM on.
This thread got me paranoid. I checked this morning and sure enough it was a quart down since I last checked it 3000 miles ago. Looks like this SS is an oil burner too. Are there any additives that can safely help this?
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #52
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Unless you're really high mileage I would avoid additives.

CRF: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #53
crowejim

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Coupe
I've always wondered why, with all the technology loaded into a modern car, they don't include fluid LEVEL readouts in the instrument panel to show the level of each fluid (brake, steering, coolant, oil, ATF, etc. Get rid of the dip-sticks and clear fluid tanks.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #54
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowejim View Post
I've always wondered why, with all the technology loaded into a modern car, they don't include fluid LEVEL readouts in the instrument panel to show the level of each fluid (brake, steering, coolant, oil, ATF, etc. Get rid of the dip-sticks and clear fluid tanks.
That's what Porsche said. No oil dipstick.

Me, I prefer the dipstick, because I actually use it.

Some may prefer a readout and perhaps a lady's voice saying, "Time to add a quart, moron."
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #55
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
That's what Porsche said. No oil dipstick.

Me, I prefer the dipstick, because I actually use it.

Some may prefer a readout and perhaps a lady's voice saying, "Time to add a quart, moron."
They have idiot lights for engine temperature. Even tire pressure. Why not something as important oil level? Especially that they're putting out oil burners. Something's rotten in Detroit.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #56
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
They have idiot lights for engine temperature. Even tire pressure. Why not something as important oil level? Especially that they're putting out oil burners. Something's rotten in Detroit.

They quit putting dipsticks on automatic transmissions. I keep expecting them to stop putting them on engines too. It'll probably happen soon. Oil level checking will become a "dealer only" service, with 4 free oil checks if you are the original owner... with an attached electronic counter, so they know if you were sneaky and cheated. Then your warranty will get voided, cause they don't know what you put in there.

What?? You think I was kidding?? Read this..
http://jalopnik.com/5522543/why-the-dipstick-is-dying

It's coming..