Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #43
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Forzasteve, mark me down for a 3-way controller.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 AM   #44
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Hi Guys,

I received an email from my supplier for the custom circuit board and they tell me it is a can do. The extra stuff is a 2 channel RF receiver along with the extra components required to make this happen. My design is pretty elegant, if I do say so myself. It will not require wire splicing and will be 100% plug and play and 100% reversible.

But, the bad news ... I foresee that the cost of the unit will be approaching $160. Reason ... more complex circuit, have to cover my supplier's manufacturing setup costs and cost of components. (I don't make printed circuit boards, I just help design them. The boards are made by specialty company I work with. The one time setup costs can run several hundred dollars to a thousand, depends on design. The actual price per board is not too bad.) The electronic enclosure will be slightly larger ... same width and depth, but about 1 inch longer. Still pretty small so that is good. It will cost a bit more, not much though ... like maybe 50 cents more. I will be trying to get the cost down a bit more, but not likely it will dip much ... maybe can get to $150.

So have to ask you all ... is that too much? Seems like a lot to me. So far, I have admit your responses are pretty positive. I just need to have a good feeling before I invest to get this ramped up.

Of course, that said, I invested a bit already in the 2-way ... so what the hell. Maybe I need to pull that trigger and go for it.

Love to hear what you guys think about this. If I do decide to go with this, I will post here more details of the design. I am in process right now of development a provisional patent so I can protect the design. That will not take too long and then I can let you all know the details of how this will work.

Now all this talk about a 3-way and no one will want to purchase a 2-way. Damn!

Thanks,

Steve
forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:15 AM   #45
dcpatters

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm in. Don't mind paying for quality.
dcpatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 AM   #46
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
I'm in also Steve. I have NP paying extra for a quality 3-way controller. Please tell us when its a go on your end. Thank you!
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #47
forzasteve

Hi Guys,

It is looking like I am going to bringing out a 3-way controller to compliment the 2-way controller. I make this promise ... both controllers will be the highest quality you can buy and will be fairly priced.

You all may have seen the Dual Mode Controller and read the specs on my web site ...

Several of you have already purchased the 2 way controller and I thank you very much for your orders. Some here have indicated they are willing to wait for the 3-way. And I hope I am able to meet your expectations. I am certainly going to try.

The 3-way controller will be more costly to make and I will have to pass that cost on the consumer. But it will be 100% plug and play and it will be 100% reversible. You will not have to cut or splice a wire. I will announce the 3-way controller here and will give you guys a full break-down of functional design and what is different from the 2-way. That way you can weigh in your mind if you think the 3-way might be worth the extra cost in your situation. I expect some will decide to go with the 2-way as that will be lower cost. Some will go with the 3-way to gain that unique feature of having the third option of forcing the bypass valves closed at all times.

I wish I could give you more details right now. It is going to be 4 or 5 weeks more. I have to get new circuit boards manufactured, new electronic enclosures, etc. But fear not, I am working on it.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #48
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
Awesome news Steve! Looking forward to purchasing your 3-way controller.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #49
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Are you taking pre-orders?

I want the first one asap, how bout some kind of incentive to kick things off .
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #50
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Are you taking pre-orders?

I want the first one asap, how bout some kind of incentive to kick things off .
Hi Camaro Dude ...

I will see what I can do when I get the true and actual costs in hand. I am still working out some minor details.

You know, one of the neat things of working this through the forum is I am getting some great feedback from you guys. For example, when I first designed and launched the 2-way, I thought you guys would not really want a 3 way if that meant that it would cost more. I was really off base on that point. I would not have thought the reaction would be as positive as it is. But, I still believe there are Camaro guys who are happy with a 2-way. But it is your reaction that prompted me to pull the trigger and invest in this new model.

Let me noodle on your suggestions and I will get to you guys.

Steve
Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #51
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I have looked into an always closed solution although I do use a 2 way m2w module right now.

The only way to make it always closed is to interrupt the connection from the solenoid that goes to the car controller under the hood and ground it out via relay.

The simple solution would be to add another m2w single channel to where the exaust solenoid connects. Then you would have to juggle two remotes or not use any garage door for your house.

But it was too much of a bother on my camaro. Not enough reason for me as I just typically keep it open.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:36 AM   #52
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I have looked into an always closed solution although I do use a 2 way m2w module right now.

The only way to make it always closed is to interrupt the connection from the solenoid that goes to the car controller under the hood and ground it out via relay.

The simple solution would be to add another m2w single channel to where the exaust solenoid connects. Then you would have to juggle two remotes or not use any garage door for your house.

But it was too much of a bother on my camaro. Not enough reason for me as I just typically keep it open.
Quick question for you Mark ... when you program the Mild2Wild to the Homelink, you have to use two buttons ... yes? One button to open the valves and the other to return control to the ECU.

Also, for the community at large. The Mild2Wild uses a 315MHz transmitter. This frequency is approved by the FCC and you are able to program to the Homelink because it accepts frequencies up to 400MHz. One issue I am facing is that outside the US ... like Europe ... they cannot use 315MHz .. they have to use 433MHz. And, of course, you cannot program 433MHz to the Homelink. When I developed my 2-way controller I opted to use 433MHz because I did not want to limit myself to only US approved frequency. That meant giving up the ability to program to Homelink. Also, 433MHz is bit better in terms of range and reliability. In the US, it is OK to use 315MHz or 433MHz.

Soooo ... how important is the Homelink option to you? I know it is convenient, but mounting a remote transmitter somewhere handy inside your car is not a big deal ... at least I do not think so. Also, for a 3 way to program on Homelink, I think you would have to program 3 Homelink Buttons.

Steve
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 AM   #53
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Yes and actually it would take 4 homelink buttons lol.

Either way I have a ton of electrical and electronics skill and I was also trying to make a 3way system. I found that I could not make it plu n play as I will not cut any wires on my car. And the way camaro supplies the power to the solenoids and the fact that the b+ is shunted to ground under the hood makes for more work to make it work.

I am curious on your 3way version and how it is pnp.

I did not know that about the European frequencies though.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #54
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
Yes and actually it would take 4 homelink buttons lol.

Either way I have a ton of electrical and electronics skill and I was also trying to make a 3way system. I found that I could not make it plu n play as I will not cut any wires on my car. And the way camaro supplies the power to the solenoids and the fact that the b+ is shunted to ground under the hood makes for more work to make it work.

I am curious on your 3way version and how it is pnp.

I did not know that about the European frequencies though.
Hi Mark,

All will be revealed in due time.

Best regards,

Steve
Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #55
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
Steve,
I was reading about your Master Power Switch, which helps with battery drainage. Would I have to turn the switch off, in an event when the car is not driven often, or this feature is done automatically? Thanks.
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #56
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Reaper View Post
Steve,
I was reading about your Master Power Switch, which helps with battery drainage. Would I have to turn the switch off, in an event when the car is not driven often, or this feature is done automatically? Thanks.
Hi Reaper,

You have to turn off the master power switch. It is not automatic. But I provide enough wiring and mounting accessories with the kit so you can mount the control module in the spare tire / battery well.

In the photo below, the controller was in the process of being installed. You can see that the fuse block is open (but no connections to it when the photo was taken). The controller module is mounted right on the side in the battery well using adhesive backed mounting strips (included with the kit).

By mounting in the battery well, you have quick access to the module and the master power switch. Don't have to peel back the side panel. Just lift up the floor panel and there it is.

Steve
Attached Images