Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Thanks for your input.

Also did you see this crap that good old Ralph tweeted today?

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13557993263376
Was just looking at the older runs compared to the most recent article. The previous run in the other thread was a 2012 with Cup tires.

1:34.4 for a 2012 with Cup tires.

1:33.7 for the 2013 in the most recent test.

So that's only a .7 second improvement if the data in the other thread is accurate between the two cars.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265930

.7 seconds is a lot. But my guess would be driver, conditions, and continued tweaking of the car. I'd guess there were a few subtle refinements in the 2013 MY. Maybe learned from LeMans racing, maybe from the 427 convertible. Maybe nothing big enough to write home about but enough to make the car a bit better. Could be a simple refinement in the MR shocks. Could be slight improvement in brake pads on those ceramic rotors. Lots of little things could add up to .7 seconds.

Also note in a simple comparison, and these cars are CLOSE, that the Corvette has Carbon Ceraminc brake rotors that are huge compared to the Viper. Now stopping distance may be close (91 to 93 feet) but in the heat of battle, this may simply be enough for the edge.

Also not in the Chrysler response in Twitter "we've run both cars at many tracks and never seen this big a gap". And admission that they have the slower car but just not by that much. Still sounds like they lose on their own comparison.

Just like the Camaros, GM doesn't just sit tight in an off year...........even the last year.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #44
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Thanks for your input.

Also did you see this crap that good old Ralph tweeted today?
I like Motortrends response...

@RalphGilles @Rynomite21 We will take both cars back to Laguna Seca any time SRT likes. The 'Vette's CC brakes paid off.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #45
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Was just looking at the older runs compared to the most recent article. The previous run in the other thread was a 2012 with Cup tires.

So that's only a .7 second improvement if the data in the other thread is accurate between the two cars.

.7 seconds is a lot. But my guess would be driver, conditions, and continued tweaking of the car. I'd guess there were a few subtle refinements in the 2013 MY. Maybe learned from LeMans racing, maybe from the 427 convertible. Maybe nothing big enough to write home about but enough to make the car a bit better. Could be a simple refinement in the MR shocks. Could be slight improvement in brake pads on those ceramic rotors. Lots of little things could add up to .7 seconds.

Also note in a simple comparison, and these cars are CLOSE, that the Corvette has Carbon Ceraminc brake rotors that are huge compared to the Viper. Now stopping distance may be close (91 to 93 feet) but in the heat of battle, this may simply be enough for the edge.

Also not in the Chrysler response in Twitter "we've run both cars at many tracks and never seen this big a gap". And admission that they have the slower car but just not by that much. Still sounds like they lose on their own comparison.

Just like the Camaros, GM doesn't just sit tight in an off year...........even the last year.
EPIC FAIL

The ZR1 was supposed to be THREE seconds faster

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #46
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

I know one thing for sure. I really really really want one. I would probably kill myself in it though so it probably good that it's just out of reach at the moment.

I do appreciate your insight. The current ZR1 is one of the all time greats if you ask me. Really it's a bargain for what you get.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
[QUOTE=JusticePete;5928988]EPIC FAIL

That was YOUR prediction my friend. I stuck to the Chevy might just win.

Besides 2.1 rounds up to 3 doesn't it?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #48
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
[QUOTE=Number 3;5929054]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
EPIC FAIL

That was YOUR prediction my friend. I stuck to the Chevy might just win.

Besides 2.1 rounds up to 3 doesn't it?
If Number 3 sez it is so, then it is so.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'd put my money on the Viper.
Looks like I lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
But the Z06 was on racing tires. The ZR1 and Viper were box stock off the showroom floor...
As was that Z06. Just because an option box was ticked doesn't mean the car is no longer stock.

Quote:
Was this a purpose built car just for this run or did it come right on the showroom? And I mean both cars. I don't want to start anything. I'm just not up on the cars that run there as far as where they come from and how they are prepped.
As stock as press-cars tend to be. Manufactures have been known to pass around ringers, here and there. Though that is more often at the launch of a car, rather than its swan-song.

Quote:
I do agree. I was lucky enough to drive a NASCAR a month ago and my last lap was my quickest.
Pet peeve of mine.

NASCAR = National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing. The car you see Sunday afternoons (and occasionally Saturday evenings) as well as what you can drive at the Richard Petty Driving Experience (among others) is a NASCAR Stock Car -or Stock Car for simplicity purposes (despite the fact that it is almost 100% custom built & not stock in any meaningful way)

sorry ... moving on

Quote:
Correct, I was saying both the ZR1 and Viper had the tires that came on the cars from the factory, in other words street legal tires, not racing tires like the Z06 had when it did its lap and was faster than the Viper but slower than the ZR1. Of course those were different days under different conditions. Hard to compare times really unless done on the same day back to back like they did with the ZR1 and Viper.
The ZR1 in this test used more or less the same tires as the Z06 you are condemning. In both cases they left Kentucky with those tires
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #50
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I will admit when I am wrong. My mistake I didn't see they were the same tires.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #51
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
I will admit when I am wrong. My mistake I didn't see they were the same tires.
Understandable because Motor Trend reffered to them as racing tires and penalized the Z06 for having them in an old comparo. Now that the Viper has comparable tires and still lost, the excuses have vanished.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #52
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It could be driving around on wagon wheels. I just know I want that Vette!!!!!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #53
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
NASCAR = National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.
I thought it stood for Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #54
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
I thought it stood for Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks?

You obviously never drove one. A pet peeve of mine is when people say foolish things when they have no ideas what they're talking about.

Sorry moving on.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #55
Camaroman_99

Drives: 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm just glad the king is a CHEVY !