Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #43
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Exactly, they have to "tune" the car to the tires. They don't say if they did any of that with the swap. Square vs. Staggered!
Do you seriously expect GM to reengineer the suspension of the ZL1 for one off test?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #44
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Do you seriously expect GM to reengineer the suspension of the ZL1 for one off test?
I don't think that's the direction he's coming from.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #45
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I am saying the test isn't accurate without. Not that they should do it. I think that is why they got weird results.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #46
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I am saying the test isn't accurate without. Not that they should do it. I think that is why they got weird results.
Oh, ok. I get you now.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #47
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
So you're one of those who takes the easy way out of things? Marriage has always been about trying to make the other person happy, not yourself. If you went into marriage thinking it was supposed to be a 50/50 situation, it's no wonder yours failed. Strong marriages are 60/40 relationships with BOTH individual seeking to make the other happy sixty percent of the time.

Sorry about the derail, but divorce should never be something a person should brag about. Hopefully kids were not in the equation.
Well, some women are crazy, some men are abusers or vise versa. Some are not meant to be. Go beat your bible somewhere else. We're talking about Z/28s here.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #48
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Man, Camaro5 seems to be turning into Troll City as of late. Intelligent people can make their points without having to belittle other people. Peace, out...

[general observation, not directed at any poster in particular]
Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #49
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I agree for the most part, but this test doesn't really confirm much in the strongest possible way. A multi-lap road course evaluation would be a sufficiently strong confirmation of what the true performance delta is, and only after the tires and brakes get up to temperature. Not down-playing the phenomenal job that the Z/28 engineers did at all, just wanting to keep it real. Tires do play a huge role. The ZR1, for example, will lay down a wicked fast lap on it's latest MPSCs, much faster than it was capable of on the previous tires it came with.
What tires are you using? What psi?

Also, I haven't noticed any of your posts for a while. Have you seen/run with the new Z/28 on course yet? If so, how'd they compare? Is your Camaro running comparable times to your "other" car these days?

Last edited by DDoug; 09-12-2014 at 08:05 AM.
DDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #50
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
What tires are you using? What psi?

Also, I haven't noticed any of your posts for a while. Have you seen/run with the new Z/28 on course yet? If so, how'd they compare? Is your Camaro running comparable times to your "other" car these days?
I started with the stock Goodyear Supercar G2s, then progressed to Nitto NT-01s. Huge difference in grip level! Then I went to Hoosiers at Buttonwillow. I ran the Nittos at about 34 psi hot, the Hoosiers at 36 psi hot. On a comparative grip scale, if the Goodyears were a 6, the Nittos are a 9 and the Hoosiers an 11. My guess is that the Trofeo Rs are an 8 or 9.

My Camaro is faster than the Viper presently but I now have slicks and a more aggressive alignment on the Viper so actually I'm not sure which is faster.

I have tracked with a couple of Z/28s in my Viper on slicks and the snake was faster as you would expect.

Sadly my engine blew up at my first NASA competition so I haven't been able to run the Camaro for a couple months. The new 416 forged stroker is about to go in. I'll be back on track in October, I'm going through serious tracking withdrawals.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 09-12-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #51
serpent

Drives: 2006 GTO
^ That is pretty crazy to hear that your Camaro is faster than the ACR, if that is the case, your Camaro is faster than a Z28. Is your ACR stock besides the slicks?

I've read the Hoosier A6 are 2 seconds faster than a Trofeo R setup.
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #52
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
I wish they would do the same test with the zl1. Would be interesting
Old 09-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #53
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Nice test!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #54
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
^ That is pretty crazy to hear that your Camaro is faster than the ACR, if that is the case, your Camaro is faster than a Z28. Is your ACR stock besides the slicks?

I've read the Hoosier A6 are 2 seconds faster than a Trofeo R setup.
I know it, that's why I'm blown away by these Camaros! Actually most at the track are surprised when they see a Camaro running fast laps. If I were to do it all over again, I'd start with a Z/28. All it would need is a cam, longtube headers, a CAI and a tune, plus maybe an adjustable wing, and it would be unstoppable. Add a roll bar and 6 point harness for safety. Throw Hoosiers on it, and watch out!

My Viper is a 2013 GTS, which I don't believe is as fast as a 2008 to 2010 ACR on any track that benefits from aero (which are most tracks). An ACR is a true race car. You can adjust the wing angle and suspension height and damping. Properly set up, I shouldn't be able to compete with an ACR. However I have bested a number of ACRs in both the Camaro and Viper.

The Camaro (especially the Z/28) I believe is the ultimate track car because it starts out fast stock, and is affordable to mod and repair if need be. And if set up correctly it can just dominate. The cost to repair the Viper makes it less practical, so I just track the Viper on special occasions. Dying to get my Camaro back out there!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 09-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #55
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
RE: Divorce -

Sometimes, divorce is the preferable way to part. As evidence:

Lady Astor said to Churchill, "If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea," to which he responded, "Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

Personally, I'd switch cups.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #56
serpent

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I know it, that's why I'm blown away by these Camaros! Actually most at the track are surprised when they see a Camaro running fast laps. If I were to do it all over again, I'd start with a Z/28. All it would need is a cam, longtube headers, a CAI and a tune, plus maybe an adjustable wing, and it would be unstoppable. Add a roll bar and 6 point harness for safety. Throw Hoosiers on it, and watch out!

My Viper is a 2013 GTS, which I don't believe is as fast as a 2008 to 2010 ACR on any track that benefits from aero (which are most tracks). An ACR is a true race car. You can adjust the wing angle and suspension height and damping. Properly set up, I shouldn't be able to compete with an ACR. However I have bested a number of ACRs in both the Camaro and Viper.

The Camaro (especially the Z/28) I believe is the ultimate track car because it starts out fast stock, and is affordable to mod and repair if need be. And if set up correctly it can just dominate. The cost to repair the Viper makes it less practical, so I just track the Viper on special occasions. Dying to get my Camaro back out there!
Ok, this whole time I thought you also had an ACR. I could only imagine how hopped up that camaro is. But yea for track purposes the ACR is going to be hard to beat. IMO the Z28 should have also had a wing like that and possibly came with long tube headers (its a track car anyways!!!)

ARH makes the long tubes for the factory Viper ACR, would have been cool to see it on a z28, 530hp perhaps?
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote