Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #43
jgenest66

Drives: sim.2 SS/RS
Sorry to here. Glad your going to be ok
jgenest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #44
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
Hey everyone,

So I just got out of the hospital this evening and at this point, I'm not ok due to a sore back, chest and emotional stress. This afternoon, I headed over to hughes to wash the car. I was soo excited on how nice the car looked,, everything was livid. Then I made arrangements to head over to a friends place to watch Transformers on bluray which was like a 10min drive from the car wash. Two blocks from his house, I lost control of the car while I was accelerating from 35~50km/h in a residintial area (within speed limit which was 50km). I wasnt speeding but the car shifted down and began fish tailing. From there I lost it swerving back and fourth until it got worse then I slammed right into an oak tree. At this point of time I dont believe what is happening to me. The car I fell in love with is gone and honestly its all my fault. I just dont get it, I know I have bad luck but this is just over the top. The feeling I experienced when the car smashed was horrid. The air bags made a high pitched wineing sound and bits of fluids like a mist type substance came out of somewhere and it smelt rank. Tranny fluid and engine coolent all poured out. The car is destroyed as the rad was ripped in two, air bags deployed, front bumper shatered and the windshield smashed in passengers top right. The thing that made me cry the most was my sunroof. I had the sunroof open and the windows closed. after the accident, the sunroof was bent right off its hidge and hanging suspended by a bent track.

Traction control/stabil was left on. I had the stock tires on.

Tomorrow I deal with insurrance if anything can be done.

I refuse to take photos of the damage as this was my baby, the one thing I knew that would be with me when I was on down times. I was soo excited looking forwards to another camaro meet hoping for one in the spring.

So with all due respect, I'd like to thank everyone I've had the oppertunity to chat with over the past eight months, you guys are all awesome. Going forwarrds, hearing about Camaros makes me honestly sobe as I know I got nothing now. I broke something that was nice and now its gone. Hopefully someday, I will get another 5th gen and maybe I'll be less stupid and respect road conditions a little more.

Everyone, from this one single post, please please learn from my stupid mistakes and respect the road conditions. I didnt and paid for it. Slow down and use extreme caution.. These cars have rediculous amounts of hp and winter driving with a rear wheel drive just makes it that more complicated.

Regards,

Shaun
R.I.P - KILLER BEE
Car is brand new! Insurance should replace it, less dedutible.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #45
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
OP> I'm not going to preach tires to you (see below if you care to). I am just glad you are okay.

To all the summer tire = summer only crowd.

Hypothetical question time: If a dealer sells you a Camaro w/ Summer only tires on the car, and they sold it to you in a season other than summer (spring, fall, or WINTER), then wouldn't the dealership be liable, They shouldn't sell you (supposedly) illegal tires for your car.
How are you to know that OEM tires are "illegal" to drive on except June 21-Sep 22nd (Summer Solstice dates for 2009/2010) especially if they not only allowed you to test drive the car in this "unsafe" condition before or after that time frame, but also allowed you to drive off the lot with those tires.

I realize that ignorance of the law isn't a defense. but When a reputable company (especially one with as many governmental ties as GM currently has) sells you a product that is being mass produced, you are well within your rights to expect they aren't providing you with an illegal operating vehicle.
They actually go through certain procedures to ensure you are legal before you test drive or drive off the lot, Proof of DL and Insurance is required. For legality issues..
So if OEM Summer only tires are "illegal" during non summer days...then I contend that GM would be required by law to not allow you to drive off the lot with illegal equipment.
________
Buy easy vape

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #46
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
OP> I'm not going to preach tires to you (see below if you care to). I am just glad you are okay.

To all the summer tire = summer only crowd.

Hypothetical question time: If a dealer sells you a Camaro w/ Summer only tires on the car, and they sold it to you in a season other than summer (spring, fall, or WINTER), then wouldn't the dealership be liable, They shouldn't sell you (supposedly) illegal tires for your car.
How are you to know that OEM tires are "illegal" to drive on except June 21-Sep 22nd (Summer Solstice dates for 2009/2010) especially if they not only allowed you to test drive the car in this "unsafe" condition before or after that time frame, but also allowed you to drive off the lot with those tires.

I realize that ignorance of the law isn't a defense. but When a reputable company (especially one with as many governmental ties as GM currently has) sells you a product that is being mass produced, you are well within your rights to expect they aren't providing you with an illegal operating vehicle.
They actually go through certain procedures to ensure you are legal before you test drive or drive off the lot, Proof of DL and Insurance is required. For legality issues..
So if OEM Summer weight tires are "illegal" during non summer days...then I contend that GM would be required by law to not allow you to drive off the lot with illegal equipment.
It's a stretch to blame the dealership at this point in time. Then an all-weather tire would be mandatory from the factory as well since they deliver the car to the dealers... Unfortunately once you sign the papers and drive the car away, it is between your insurance companies agreement with you (policy) and if a defect is found to be the cause of the accident. Summer tires in winter causing accident is not a defect. There are plenty of camaro5 members on here who warned others about this issue long ago and who also created threads mentioning which tires they bought and where especially for winter. Some users got rid of (sold) the Pirelli's the moment they drove off the lot or before. The OP blames himself in this as he should, and he has to be glad that he's alive and well. Black ice is dangerous, even with snow tires on the car when driving the actual speed limit. In this case the OP says the speed limit was 50 and he was going 50 while under snowy conditions which was a huge mistake. Even with snow tires it is not recommended to drive at full speed during slippery/snowy weather. Now lets pray that your insurance company overlooks the fact summer tires were the cause of the accident so they cover replacing your vehicle. At this point, it doesn't look good in your favor as they have a reason to deny your claim. Unless the tree has a no fault insurance . Don't worry though, you'll get over the shock in no time and you would have learned a lesson from this. At the very least, you and no other human was hurt or killed. This would be more tragic had you hit a bus-stop full of kids (which has happened before). This is God giving you a second chance here. GOd bless and good luck.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
jrc1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
It's a stretch to blame the dealership at this point in time. Then an all-weather tire would be mandatory from the factory as well since they deliver the car to the dealers... Unfortunately once you sign the papers and drive the car away, it is between your insurance companies agreement with you (policy) and if a defect is found to be the cause of the accident. Summer tires in winter causing accident is not a defect. There are plenty of camaro5 members on here who warned others about this issue long ago and who also created threads mentioning which tires they bought and where especially for winter. Some users got rid of (sold) the Pirelli's the moment they drove off the lot or before. The OP blames himself in this as he should, and he has to be glad that he's alive and well. Black ice is dangerous, even with snow tires on the car when driving the actual speed limit. In this case the OP says the speed limit was 50 and he was going 50 while under snowy conditions which was a huge mistake. Even with snow tires it is not recommended to drive at full speed during slippery/snowy weather. Now lets pray that your insurance company overlooks the fact summer tires were the cause of the accident so they cover replacing your vehicle. At this point, it doesn't look good in your favor as they have a reason to deny your claim. Unless the tree has a no fault insurance . Don't worry though, you'll get over the shock in no time and you would have learned a lesson from this. At the very least, you and no other human was hurt or killed. This would be more tragic had you hit a bus-stop full of kids (which has happened before). This is God giving you a second chance here. GOd bless and good luck.

I guess I should have spelled it out... My whole point was to prove that it isn't illegal to drive in on "summer-only tires" because if it was, then GM and or the dealerships WOULD be responsible for selling you a product that was illegal.

That is like a cop giving you a ticket for having your windows tinted on your tuck- when that is how it came from the factory.. You can't get a ticket for an OEM part.

It may not be the smartest to drive on summer only tires in your opinion, but not illegal.

It may not be the smartest to drive a convertible with the top down in the rain, but it isn't illegal.

If you think they insurance company can deny a claim based off him using a DOT (or whatever Canada's equivalent is) legal tire with legal tread life left, then you guys have some shady insurance companies.

An insurance company can't deny your claim if you have traction control off. Why because it isn't illegal to turn it off, no matter how wet it is. They may drop you from coverage, but to say they will flat out deny someone's claim for such reasons is a stretch. Again they may try, but a lawyer will get that cleared up real quick.

PS my G8 GT has Bridgestone Potenza 19" summer tires on my car, I drove in the snow this week. No biggie. If I would have wrecked I know 100% I would have been covered.
If you think otherwise, you seriously need to reevaluate who you carry insurance with.
________
GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD

Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #48
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
I guess I should have spelled it out... My whole point was to prove that it isn't illegal to drive in on "summer-only tires" because if it was, then GM and or the dealerships WOULD be responsible for selling you a product that was illegal.

That is like a cop giving you a ticket for having your windows tinted on your tuck- when that is how it came from the factory.. You can't get a ticket for an OEM part.

It may not be the smartest to drive on summer only tires in your opinion, but not illegal.

It may not be the smartest to drive a convertible with the top down in the rain, but it isn't illegal.

If you think they insurance company can deny a claim based off him using a DOT (or whatever Canada's equivalent is) legal tire with legal tread life left, then you guys have some shady insurance companies.

An insurance company can't deny your claim if you have traction control off. Why because it isn't illegal to turn it off, no matter how wet it is. They may drop you from coverage, but to say they will flat out deny someone's claim for such reasons is a stretch. Again they may try, but a lawyer will get that cleared up real quick.

PS my G8 GT has Bridgestone Potenza 19" summer tires on my car, I drove in the snow this week. No biggie. If I would have wrecked I know 100% I would have been covered.
If you think otherwise, you seriously need to reevaluate who you carry insurance with.
Depends on where you live. There is a certain province in Canada where winter tires in winter are manditory. Every vehicle registered in Quebec will have to be equipped with winter tires from December 15th to March 15th. And a few other provinces are thinking about it as well. A few of the snowier European countries also have or are considering this legislation.

The dealership wouldn't be breaking the law selling you a car with summer tires in December, The Purchaser would be breaking the law driving it off the lot without winter tires equipped.

PS: You get snow in Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #49
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Depends on where you live. There is a certain province in Canada where winter tires in winter are manditory. Every vehicle registered in Quebec will have to be equipped with winter tires from December 15th to March 15th. And a few other provinces are thinking about it as well. A few of the snowier European countries also have or are considering this legislation.

The dealership wouldn't be breaking the law selling you a car with summer tires in December, The Purchaser would be breaking the law driving it off the lot without winter tires equipped.

Quebec. Ontario is also looking at doing this as well.

I can't even respond to this thread, except to say, glad the OP is alive. My avatar saying explains the rest.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #50
jrc1122

Yep, snowed Christmas Eve about 4 inches-- and we got about an inch today, it just started snowing again!

Well that is the very first time I have ever heard of a car being sold new from a car lot that was illegal to drive immediately.
But then again, I am not that familiar with the purchasing process in Canada.. But I think it is safe to say, I have found a huge flaw in that system.

"here are the keys, Now go break the law immediately by starting the ignition and placing the car in gear."
________
Corvette c6.r

Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #51
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yep, snowed Christmas Eve about 4 inches-- and we got about an inch today, it just started snowing again!

Well that is the very first time I have ever heard of a car being sold new from a car lot that was illegal to drive immediately.
But then again, I am not that familiar with the purchasing process in Canada.. But I think it is safe to say, I have found a huge flaw in that system.

"here are the keys, Now go break the law immediately by starting the ignition and placing the car in gear."

I am not from Quebec, but they probably offer you a winter tire package. Or maybe you can't even register it until you prove you have winter tires?

Other than that, most Canadian Camaros are sleeping in their garages right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #52
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Anyone from the Edmonton area know DJ ATOMIX, who can check and see if he's doing o.k? I sent him a PM, and hope he responds.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #53
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
FYI
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...snowtires.html

or

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...on_pneus_hiver

Last edited by rickerda; 12-29-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added another link
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #54
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:

Glad you're OK, O.P.

Wichita Falls Tx just got hit with a foot of snow.

In my area just north of there on Christmas eve, total white-out... 60mph winds... 15 car pileup, my buddy was killed, and 2 Sheriff's Deputies wounded by a pickup truck driving too fast to stop.

They call it "accident" for a reason, be careful guys.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #55
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:

If the Law says we have to have Snow Tires then it should be a LAW for the Dealers to Sell their cars with Snow tires..( All they have to do is add the price of tires to the Car anyways)
My Mom is buying a car in a few days and we negotiated the price of the car with Snow tires..
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #56
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
It is an offence to drive a car in BC in winter condtions that does not have the proper rated tire. In the city and suburban area's you will not be ticketed if you have all season tires. If it snows in that area and you are in an accident with Summer Only tires you will be found at fault.

If you enter a transprovincial hiway where the posted sign says "WINTER TIRES or CHAINS required past this point." and are checked by the RCMP who have provincial responsibility you will be turned back. If you have Summer Only tires on a hiway requiring winter tires and make a claim you wil probably be found at fault. They could deny coverage.

Even the passenger in your car who was injured will sue you. You will lose if you failed to follow the law.

Driving at 50 in winter in a posted 50 is a driving infraction as the RCMP can charge you with not driving with due care in winter, exceeding the safe speed.

GM has covered their ass in the owners manual. If you pick up the car and drive it off the lot and kill someone it will be you in court. Yes ...the car needed to be flat decked home. In Quebec you have 7 days from purchase to meet the requirements of the law.

Last edited by OUR72GTO; 12-29-2009 at 08:21 PM.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote