Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
sub
Huh, excuse my ignorance, what does sub mean?
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #58
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Huh, excuse my ignorance, what does sub mean?
"Subscribed" . . . you can do that so every time there is a new post you are notified.
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #59
Sugar's ZL1
Ron and Sugar

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 Vert A6
I want to thank all of you for this discussion. The one mod that I like is the
Technostalgia lamps. When I get my car back from it's XPEL ultimate full wrap
I'll order these out and see if I can come up with a solution or follow yours.
Thanks folks!

I Love My 08 Pek a Poo
Sugar's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #60
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar's ZL1 View Post
I want to thank all of you for this discussion. The one mod that I like is the
Technostalgia lamps. When I get my car back from it's XPEL ultimate full wrap
I'll order these out and see if I can come up with a solution or follow yours.
Thanks folks!
I love these taillights. Haven't had a problem either, but many have, and if I ever have to let the car sit for an extended period of time I'll use a battery tender. Deke736 has in his build thread detailed info on how he wired his up (key on/acc) and that's a permanent solution. No battery drain whatsoever! They are pricey, I wouldn't doubt some folks are selling theirs at a good price because of battery issues.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #61
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Thanks for the thorough job on diagnosing and fixing the problem. I'm in Afghanistan right now and my wife was freaked out when I called because the key was stuck in the ignition and the car won't start. I'll need to rewire my techno lights when I get back...
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #62
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Thanks again for the advice! The taillights did go into show mode, which now makes sense with the low battery.

I'm curious though why I would need charge the battery on a charger from the front posts and not directly to the battery? Is there a difference?
There is a difference. Compared to charging the battery with the leads off, when you use the posts under the hood, you are also connected to all the accessories and automatic-anythings that happen when the car starts to get power. Once had a dead battery and used a trickle charger to try to get'er going again instead of climbing through car to pop trunk, etc. cha cha. Sounds really convenient until I tried to get it going and the middle dash display (computer display) would like up, some other things would whirrrr and then the charger's relay would pop (self protect I guess) and stop charging. It would cycle like this forever, with the battery never getting enough juice to break the cycle. It's a small charger so that may be the problem, and meant to keep a partially or fully charged battery fully charged, not rescue the dead.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #63
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
I didn't read every reply but there is a way to get your key out when this happens. The how to is in your owners manual. There's an electric release that you have to manually release under the column.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #64
cdjnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
There is a difference. Compared to charging the battery with the leads off, when you use the posts under the hood, you are also connected to all the accessories and automatic-anythings that happen when the car starts to get power. Once had a dead battery and used a trickle charger to try to get'er going again instead of climbing through car to pop trunk, etc. cha cha. Sounds really convenient until I tried to get it going and the middle dash display (computer display) would like up, some other things would whirrrr and then the charger's relay would pop (self protect I guess) and stop charging. It would cycle like this forever, with the battery never getting enough juice to break the cycle. It's a small charger so that may be the problem, and meant to keep a partially or fully charged battery fully charged, not rescue the dead.
I may be wrong but the red post under the hood is directly wired to the battery
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #65
Normagene

Invest in a Battery Tender Jr. for the winter months, or anytime you're letting the car sit for long periods of time. It doesn't overcharge.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #66
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I don't believe the remote battery posts under the hood provide any power to anything. I think they're just there to provide a "remote" connection to the battery, as with the car off I attached a multimeter to the remote posts and it did not register any volts, when I then attached the multmeter to the battery it registered volage.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #67
cdjnight

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I don't believe the remote battery posts under the hood provide any power to anything. I think they're just there to provide a "remote" connection to the battery, as with the car off I attached a multimeter to the remote posts and it did not register any volts, when I then attached the multmeter to the battery it registered volage.
Positive red post under hood is for jump starting and charging the battery it is a direct connection to battery. Key on or off it's always connected.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #68
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
They put the Positive post lead (red post) under the hood so you can get to it when the vehicle needs jump start or charged when the Battery is dead and you can't open the trunk!

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!

Last edited by onewaydave; 03-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #69
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Definitely is connected to other things. Remove the securing bolt and you will see another lead from the same post going to the engine.

Last edited by blackswan; 03-06-2014 at 02:29 PM.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #70
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Definitely is connected to other things. Remove the securing bolt and you will see another lead toward at he engine.
I think that's the negative ground wire going thru the same harness.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote