Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #57
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Question

I just received the recall on mine,you say it's not mandatory,where is this in writing.
What about insurance,if something happened regarding this FOB being the cause of an accident would they(insurance void my claim).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Not sure why you took your car in for the fix it's not mandatory I tossed my recall in the trash.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #58
BumbleBeeBowtie13

Drives: '13 Camaro LS V6
I traded my way cool switchblade keys today for a generic (yawn) chevy key and a key fob that now looks like it's incomplete.. disappointed in Chevrolet's lack of pride in their product/craftmanship, exactly as in the image above.. COME ON CHEVROLET, YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT!!!...

Last edited by BumbleBeeBowtie13; 11-01-2014 at 08:21 PM.
BumbleBeeBowtie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #59
BumbleBeeBowtie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
I just received the recall on mine,you say it's not mandatory,where is this in writing.
What about insurance,if something happened regarding this FOB being the cause of an accident would they(insurance void my claim).
I complied with key recall simply because your concerns mirrored mine.. uncool keys, yet better safe than sorry..
Old 11-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #60
Lndryguru

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
took my car in for a oil filter leak Monday and they tried to do the key recall and i sign off on not to have it done.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #61
OhioGuy89

Drives: 2012 LS
I didn't quite understand what they were going to do, so I took it in. When the guy handed me my new key I was PO'd. If they would have told me that was what they were going to do, I would not have done it.
OhioGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #62
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeBowtie13 View Post
I complied with key recall simply because your concerns mirrored mine.. uncool keys, yet better safe than sorry..
I tried and tried to shut mine off like they said could happen, with my physical size and normal driving position there is zero chance of it happening. I even moved the seat in different positions and I still could not do it. So I am not one bit worried.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #63
BumbleBeeBowtie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I tried and tried to shut mine off like they said could happen, with my physical size and normal driving position there is zero chance of it happening. I even moved the seat in different positions and I still could not do it. So I am not one bit worried.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/bu...fect.html?_r=0

"The automaker said it was aware of three crashes and four injuries related to the defect, which is in about 510,000 Camaros worldwide from the 2010 to 2014 model years."..

I realize the risk is small.. however if I ignored the recall and it happened while my daughter were driving it, or worse yet-- kill someone else, I'd never forgive myself.. I simply wished Chevy took more pride in the fob resolve.. sloppy..

Last edited by BumbleBeeBowtie13; 11-02-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #64
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
My wife's Terrain has the same key fob. No ones talking about those.
My new 2014 Cruze Diesel and my 2008 VW R32 have the same key fob and you don't hear any problems with them.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #65
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
My new 2014 Cruze Diesel and my 2008 VW R32 have the same key fob and you don't hear any problems with them.
Because its a combination of the fob and the angle the key is in when turned to the run position. I bet the position on those others are different than the Camaro's. My Spark also has the same fob.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #66
BumbleBeeBowtie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
from article link I shared:

... "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received at least 210 complaints about the Camaros, and at least 21 of them mentioned unexpected stalling or power loss, according to a New York Times review of the agency’s database." ...

... "In February, the automaker started recalling 2.6 million Chevrolet Cobalts, Saturn Ions and other small cars, citing a similar problem: If their keys were bumped or jostled, their engines could turn off, disabling critical systems like steering, brakes and air bags." ...

IMO if there wasn't a potential risk, GM wouldn't risk further negative publicity nor spend the $$ (I would have used $$$, however they were frugal on their resolve ) to correct the issue.. I also was concerned about liability should an accident occur and recall was not corrected..
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #67
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeBowtie13 View Post
from article link I shared:

... "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received at least 210 complaints about the Camaros, and at least 21 of them mentioned unexpected stalling or power loss, according to a New York Times review of the agency’s database." ...

... "In February, the automaker started recalling 2.6 million Chevrolet Cobalts, Saturn Ions and other small cars, citing a similar problem: If their keys were bumped or jostled, their engines could turn off, disabling critical systems like steering, brakes and air bags." ...

IMO if there wasn't a potential risk, GM wouldn't risk further negative publicity nor spend the $$ (I would have used $$$, however they were frugal on their resolve ) to correct the issue.. I also was concerned about liability should an accident occur and recall was not corrected..
You do realize the cause of the Cobalt ignition switch recall and the Camaro recall are not related even though the possible results were the same....
Old 11-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #68
BumbleBeeBowtie13

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You do realize the cause of the Cobalt ignition switch recall and the Camaro recall are not related even though the possible results were the same....
Yes, thank you.. I was multi-tasking and didn't make my point clear, with a 2.6m recall already in process (different makes, models and issue), I speculate Chevrolet wouldn't further tarnish their credibility/reputation unless it was a prudent necessity for safety and liability..

I appreciate them stepping up to correct a potential design flaw and again, I have no problem with the recall.. simply their fix of the Camaro key fob.. they designed an amazing car some can only dream of owning, however they can't make an insert to fill the void on the fob??..
Old 11-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #69
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Got one of 2 sets done, the wife will get the new one, she never drives it.

As long as I don't have to use it, I am okay with it.

Makes 50% in compliance.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #70
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I'm tall, 6'-4", with long legs. My knees get nowhere near the key. So its not an issue with being tall.
Me too. I'm 6'1. I don't understand ho the hell drives sitting so close to the freakin wheel even if you're m6. its so stupid. You can even watch a video of someone flipping out on youtube because the only way his knee even comes close is if he pushes his chair up all the way.
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote