Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-06-2023, 03:22 AM   #57
Vicster

Drives: 13' ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadsled View Post
I got the clutch installed, The pressure feels similar to stock. I cant quite drive clutch only through a parking lot like before. I changed the Throttle Body, got it from a member on here. not sure what stage it is. The lighten flywheel and TB the cars acceleration is alot better.

I went to Import Face Off in Charlotte to support my buddy and his K swaped civic.

I had an appointment for a retune next month, but parking garage in Charlotte had other plans with my header.
I notice with headers that the flanges always warp / bend. So I use Remflex 2008 header gaskets. P/N: B00B2HM5NA $30 on Amazon. They need to be handle with kid gloves, but after install no more worries!

https://www.amazon.com/Remflex-2008-.../dp/B00B2HM5NA
Attached Images

Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:38 AM   #58
Leadsled

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
I notice with headers that the flanges always warp / bend. So I use Remflex 2008 header gaskets. P/N: B00B2HM5NA $30 on Amazon. They need to be handle with kid gloves, but after install no more worries!

https://www.amazon.com/Remflex-2008-.../dp/B00B2HM5NA
Wow 30 bucks is worth the shot! Ill order today and try to tackle it this weekend. Thanks so much! Kooks Quoted $877 for the single side
Old 09-07-2023, 04:00 AM   #59
Vicster

Quote:
Wow 30 bucks is worth the shot! Ill order today and try to tackle it this weekend. Thanks so much! Kooks Quoted $877 for the single side
You are most welcome!

I know you will be happy with them! Just remember the are delicate till installed, they are made of micro layers of material. I use 80 grit sand paper and a sanding block to flatten the highest points and it also gives a good surface for the gasket to bite.... Last time I used a belt sander, I was hesitant at first, but went pretty smooth.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:40 AM   #60
Vicster

Just installed on my ZL1

I just re-installed my headers using these gaskets. First torque is 10ftlb from center out. Then I torqued to 20ftlb and made 3 passes till the bolts remained torqued.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:12 AM   #61
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I used Remflex gaskets on my old trans am. They were actually really good. My exhaust flanges were a little warped and these were the only gaskets that would fully seal them. Good stuff.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:03 PM   #62
Leadsled

Well this weekend my lady will be out of town and the weather is lower 80s. Good time to install some parts. In the picture is a flexpro gasket on top on the Remflex package, clearly a difference in size. Also the Z/28 axles, seals, washers and nuts. New AC Delco Gold Rotor/ black hat. And wheel bearings I’m taking a chance on. They are made by SKF and I was reading from here that these are OEM. I got a pair for 95bucks on eBay.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2023, 06:21 AM   #63
Leadsled

Install went smooth as butter. I did it on my garage floor. Things to keep in mind for someone doing z/28 axle upgrade/replacement. If you’re going to do wheel bearings, tighten 13mm FIRST on the hub. 2nd install axles. If you try to do it when the axles are in place. It’s a nightmare to try to tighten the bolts. Drivers side axle/diff seal gave me trouble because I’m right handed and couldn’t get leverage.

The stock wheel bearings were still good. Honestly didn’t have a reason to change them. This was a “while I’m there piece” you can see a difference between the 2 bearings (new one being Z/28)

After a long test drive, I’m so HAPPY to say my vibration is GONE!!! it feels like a new car and it should!!! I’ve literally changed out everything on this car 😅

Btw the Remflex helped with the header/exhaust leak but it’s not a 100% fix. The header itself has a crack internally. Atleast I tired. My future plans is to replace that. And get a retune after mounting tires to my Forgestar F14 wheels
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #64
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Whats the difference with the z28 axles? They look identical to the SS axles. is it a higher spline count? Is that why you did bearings and axles at the same time?

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:30 PM   #65
Leadsled

They are larger is size and not in spline count. I only changed the wheel bearing because its only 3 bolts. The car has 128k so why not?
Old 10-26-2023, 09:04 AM   #66
Leadsled

Pics of the hole I put in the header from impact in a Charlotte parking garage. New header is in and everything is back to normal. After I put the different wheel set up I will probably install the rod mod intake manifold and retune
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2023, 11:02 AM   #67
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Quote:
Pics of the hole I put in the header from impact in a Charlotte parking garage. New header is in and everything is back to normal. After I put the different wheel set up I will probably install the rod mod intake manifold and retune
Did Kooks sell you one header? Or was it a warranty thing?

Old 10-26-2023, 11:48 AM   #68
Leadsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Did Kooks sell you one header? Or was it a warranty thing?
They sold me just one side. It was definitely my fault breaking it, no warranty. The turn around time was 3 weeks
Old 10-26-2023, 04:38 PM   #69
JAFWF
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1994 Z/28 Convertible
Mr. Kook is kind of pricey, but he does stand behind his products.

Since you have Mayhem in your signature I am guessing you are very happy with their tuning. I am looking for a tuner in late November, wish for once I could find someone closer. From my wrench's garage to Raleigh is damn near a 4 hour rollback trip.
JAFWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #70
Leadsled

Raleigh was about 3hr trip one way. I drove on a fresh installed cam with a stock tune surprisingly. I know a guy with a 1000hp vette that was tuned there. Other than that I had no prior relationship with them. Everytime I called they answered the phone and answered my questions and never acted annoyed. Once I got to the shop I felt very comfortable with the choice I made when looking at the parking lot and what was on the lifts.

There is probably more than capable shops around but I’ll drive a bit for a piece of mind