Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #57
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
Orange Crush, I'm assuming your cage is custom? I would love to have something like
that.
Yes, it's custom. I didn't think I'd do this to my street machine, but here I am, LOL. Good to feel safe when pushing, worth the investment. I looked at it this way- I could skip a few track events and that would pay for it, a good trade-off. I know my lady appreciates it too.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #58
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Yes, it's custom. I didn't think I'd do this to my street machine, but here I am, LOL. Good to feel safe when pushing, worth the investment. I looked at it this way- I could skip a few track events and that would pay for it, a good trade-off. I know my lady appreciates it too.
Daily driver?
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #59
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Daily driver?
It could be a daily driver, but no. The roll bar is behind the seats, not a roll cage, so aside from losing the back seats, doesn't affect much. I retained my factory 3-point seat belt in addition to the 6-point harness. The Sparco Evos are very comfortable.

The main thing is the big wing and the NASA stickers (I'm starting to compete). It's not exactly low key, LOL. So I only drive it on occasion on the street. The door numbers are magnets but the rest are permanent.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #60
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #61
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Orange Crush, is your roll bar welded or bolted in?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #62
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Orange Crush, is your roll bar welded or bolted in?
It's welded in
Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #63
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Orange Crush, You are my hero. I was just looking at your first thread about tracking your car, and not putting in a roll bar, and using a CG locker. How thinks have changed. I'm loving your set up. I don't drive my car on the street much, but want to
retain the interior with the exception of the back seat. I'm thinking of not doing as many autocrosses next year and just enjoying 3 or so track days a year. I'd get more seat time in 3 track days then I would in 30 autocrosses.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #64
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
OC 1LE's car
I saw OC 1LE's pics and I...

Last edited by Balok; 08-22-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #65
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
^ Umm, ok. He races his car and that's an issue?

Orange, what is the span of the wing on the rear? Curious as i've seen some that are much smaller in size and wondered how much that impacts down force in the rear.
Thanks.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #66
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Orange Crush, You are my hero. I was just looking at your first thread about tracking your car, and not putting in a roll bar, and using a CG locker. How thinks have changed. I'm loving your set up. I don't drive my car on the street much, but want to
retain the interior with the exception of the back seat. I'm thinking of not doing as many autocrosses next year and just enjoying 3 or so track days a year. I'd get more seat time in 3 track days then I would in 30 autocrosses.
Haha, it's a slippery slope. I really didn't think I'd do much to my Camaro- I thought I'd leave it stock. Next thing I know, I got addicted to tracking and started modding. I may have gotten a little carried away, but it's a blast on the track. Keep us posted on your track days.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #67
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
^ Umm, ok. He races his car and that's an issue?

Orange, what is the span of the wing on the rear? Curious as i've seen some that are much smaller in size and wondered how much that impacts down force in the rear.
Thanks.
The wing's a medium-sized wing, not as big as some. It's an APR GT-250, I believe the span is 67 inches. It's very efficient and depending on the angle of attack that you set, it yields 105-301 Lb of downforce 120 mph. 14-66 Lb drag at 120 mph.

Those that don't like the look of a wing only need to look at track records to know why I did it. The Viper ACR with it's big wing holds the track record at most tracks that I've driven. I am turning MUCH faster laps with the wing and splitter, a good trade-off considering that this primarily a track car now. Certainly not for everyone, not for most in fact. But I wouldn't change much of anything on this bad boy.

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 08-22-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #68
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Let's not forget that OEM belts are intended for highway speeds and not track speeds! Moral of the story... Don't track unless you cage and harness the car!
First off, I am not trying to cause conflict but to share info. At my last track day on Monday, the cars with roll bars were in the minority, maybe only 20 out of 75 cars. Many others had harness bars and at least half of us were still using the stock belts. I personally try to stay within my car and personal abilities as I do not want to go off track and damage anything. I was graduated to the advanced run group and my main issue now is trying to stay in the seat with the increased cornering loads. I need to add some type of harness to hold me in place so I can concentrate on my steering inputs and not the death grip on the steering wheel. A roll bar is a big commitment in both money and impact to the street ability of my Camaro so a harness bar is the likely choice at this point. A cage is not for everyone, or even for many, who track their street driven cars. Even a 4 point roll bar is pretty hard core for a street car. Remember, this isn't a wheel to wheel race but a "high performance driving event" and should be approached with that in mind.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #69
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
First off, I am not trying to cause conflict but to share info. At my last track day on Monday, the cars with roll bars were in the minority, maybe only 20 out of 75 cars. Many others had harness bars and at least half of us were still using the stock belts. I personally try to stay within my car and personal abilities as I do not want to go off track and damage anything. I was graduated to the advanced run group and my main issue now is trying to stay in the seat with the increased cornering loads. I need to add some type of harness to hold me in place so I can concentrate on my steering inputs and not the death grip on the steering wheel. A roll bar is a big commitment in both money and impact to the street ability of my Camaro so a harness bar is the likely choice at this point. A cage is not for everyone, or even for many, who track their street driven cars. Even a 4 point roll bar is pretty hard core for a street car. Remember, this isn't a wheel to wheel race but a "high performance driving event" and should be approached with that in mind.
I didn't event look at anyone else's car to see what they were running as far as caged/harness bar/stock. Other than the ZL1 vert. Glad you noticed that.

As you know my day was cut short by one session due to brake reasons but with my harness bar setup I wasn't nearly as exhausted at the end of the day as I usually am, and it was a hot day. It definitely helps with being able to concentrate on driver input and reduced fatigue. All plus' to being safer. Definitely recommended.

Like I said let me know if you need measurements or pictures.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #70
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
Like the setup. May I ask, who/where the cage is from?
http://rpmrollbar.com/rollbars.html

this one. you need to tell them its for road tracking so they build the right one. the cage is awesome but the install kit is kinda crude and you have to modify a few backing plates to make it work. i did it all myself. there is an install thread somewhere that several guys did it and posted pics.

to the guys still running stock belts . . .
get a lap belt from the junk yard and mount it solid. you can cinch that baby down and its better than maxi pads or wussie wings. a four point belt with a harness bar is not as safe as stock belts with a lap belt to hold you in the seat. very huge difference in the steering wheel death grip.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote