Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #57
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Ah, track miles....that makes sense. I like the tire analogy too
no prob man. thanks for posting up the link for the oil filter comparisons too. I have been looking for it for a while. ive done my own cutting of oil filters to get a look to compare them, but didnt go thru all the trouble to go thru EVERY filter known to man...lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #58
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
You're call on that one.

I change my oil every 7,500 miles and change my filter every OTHER oil change on my daily driver/commuter. That is what the manual states. I'm trying to push the oil change interval out to 10K miles, but I'm not sure it can do that far. However, my goal for this commuter is to make it as cheap as possible to own/operate since it's not my "baby". It doesn't use a drop of oil though.

My "baby" which is my 4Runner I change the oil once a year since I don't drive it every day and it spends the week in my garage. I average about 300 - 400 miles a month in it and change the filter with the oil since it's a once a year deal.

The Camaro will probably get the once a year treatment as well once it's broken in as it'll become "baby" number 1 with the 4Runner relegated to "baby" number 2
Ok folks...I got my analysis back today from running the oil for 8,794 miles. This is Castrol GTX 10W30, nothing special or fancy and NOT SYNTHETIC. Here are the details of the report from Blackstone Labs, down to the comments they made about the sample. Of particular interest is them saying THE OIL IS STILL GOOD GO FOR 10K MILES! Especially considering this little commuter only has a 4.5 qt oil capacity.

Here's the run down:

1999 Honda Accord 4cyl 2.3L EX Auto
Oil: Castrol GTX 10W30
Filter: Purolator PureOne PL14459

Blackstone was the lab used.

This sample had about 3 months of time on the oil, 8,749 miles. No makeup oil added. Vehicle had 115,123 miles on the clock.

COMMENTS:
Glad to hear you didn't change the oil filter. We use the insolubles test to gauge oil filtration and oxidation, and your insolubles are low enough that we think oil filter can stay in place. Metals look pretty good, though lead is a bit higher than expected. Chances are this is a temporary particle streak through the bearings, and if so it should drop to average next time. We don't think you've run your oil too long, and if you wanted to go longer next time, you could try 10K. The TBN is still good at 2.4. Sodium and 7ppm of the silicon are additives in this oil.

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION
Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 7
Copper: 2
Lead: 14
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 4
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 1
Silicon: 16
Sodium: 150
Calcium: 2160
Magnesium: 7
Phosphorus: 605
Zinc: 736
Barium: 0

PROPERTIES:
SUS Viscosity @210*F: 61.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100*C: 10.63
Fuel %: <0.5
Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.3
TBN: 2.4

I gotta say I'm impressed by this oil, especially considering it's regular o'l DINO...NOT SYNTHETIC! 10K miles on DINO, I didn't think it possible.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #59
gtjacket
2G1FT1EW0A9118618

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black/IOM M6
Thanks Speedy, I really appreciate this info! I have been changing the oil on my vehicles every 3,000 and always knew I was a sucker. If you read any car manual they recommend 7,500 miles before oil changes. These damn jiffy lubes and so forth are a bunch of SH*t. I will physically change the oil and filter every time on my Camaro. I will probably do this about every 7 or 8 months seeing that is about when I hit 7,500 miles. I believe you when you say that i can get 10,000 miles or more between changes, but this car will be my baby and I got to at least change the oil every 7,500 miles. Thanks again for the info Speedy
gtjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #60
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
quick viscosity question...

my 1999 4.3 will have 145k mi at my next change (that'll be 10k mi on Mobil1 10W-40, Wix filter).

i'm gonna go back to Castrol GTX dino oil, MicroGuard filter when i change. the question is, "do you recommend 10W-30 or 10W-40 & why?" it's just my DD & i rarely pull or haul, much less performance drive (well... there's an occasional performance run)
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #61
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
quick viscosity question...

my 1999 4.3 will have 145k mi at my next change (that'll be 10k mi on Mobil1 10W-40, Wix filter).

i'm gonna go back to Castrol GTX dino oil, MicroGuard filter when i change. the question is, "do you recommend 10W-30 or 10W-40 & why?" it's just my DD & i rarely pull or haul, much less performance drive (well... there's an occasional performance run)
If it were my truck, I'd try 10W30 to start. Like I said before, get that engine bay cleaned up and see if you detect any leaks. If so fix them if possible. If you don't detect any leaks after cleaning the engine bay up, AND you still have oil consumption, then try 10W40 at the next oil change to see if that helps the consumption since you have 145K miles on the clock.

My 2 cents no change for your 5.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 AM   #62
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
thanks a lot!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #63
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
The last 2 cars i run all go 10,000 mi per oil change and filter,
I use Castrol GTX 10W30 Full SYNTHETIC, 1996 impala ss 265,000 mi on it runs like it is new, 2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali 194,000 mi on it runs like new.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #64
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
There is quite a lot of good information on the web about oil and especially on the differences between SYN and Dino. It is interesting to note that most oils that are labeled synthetic today are actually very highly refined dino oil.
Oil needs to be replaced when it becomes too contaminated, but most often because the additive package in the oil is worn out. The base oil generally okay. Topping off is a good way to extend the life of oil because more additive is going in.
The great thing about synthetic oil is that all the molecules are of a similar size, and there is a limited amount of junk in the oil such as organic material and wax.
There is no doubt for me that synthetic oil is best for these engines, but what I want to think about is the change interval. These motors have very substantial oil capacities. My guess, is that this was designed in as a way of assisting with the cooling of the aluminum engine parts. But, with all that oil in the mix it stands to reason that the change intervals will be increased.
Thoughts?
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #65
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfguy View Post
But, with all that oil in the mix it stands to reason that the change intervals will be increased.
Thoughts?
Of course. These things have a 9qt capacity. My little 4.5qt Accord goes 10K miles on a change with DINO Castrol GTX 10W30.

I'm curious to see what the GM manual will state is the OCI.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #66
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Of course. These things have a 9qt capacity. My little 4.5qt Accord goes 10K miles on a change with DINO Castrol GTX 10W30.

I'm curious to see what the GM manual will state is the OCI.
It will probably say wait for the computer to tell us.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #67
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It will probably say wait for the computer to tell us.
Works for me. I'll probably do a couple break-in oil changes, then go by the computer. Send a sample off for analysis obviously to double check the computer and go from there.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #68
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
If anyone actually cares to research the subject go to my personal AMSOIL website. greatoil4less.com Amsoil is better than anything on the market. There are countless studies done by numerous sources that prove it is the best. I have been marketing this stuff for 28 years and have never seen a problem or seen a better product. You can get it at a discount price on the Preferred Customer program. If you are unable to install it yourself simply buy it wholesale and go to a quick lube. It costs less than Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple or anything you care to name when you factor in that it lasts longer, protects better and gives more horsepower and mileage. I have seen many Vets get 3 to 4 more MPG compared to Mobile 1. Proven facts. Anyone posting anything against it is sadly misinformed or simply never had all the facts. I have seen gas and diesels go 25,000 miles with it. Look into this stuff as intently as you look into buying a Camaro and Amsoil is where you will spend your money. If you got ANY questions please contact me through my site. Mike
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #69
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
If anyone actually cares to research the subject go to my personal AMSOIL website. greatoil4less.com Amsoil is better than anything on the market. There are countless studies done by numerous sources that prove it is the best. I have been marketing this stuff for 28 years and have never seen a problem or seen a better product. You can get it at a discount price on the Preferred Customer program. If you are unable to install it yourself simply buy it wholesale and go to a quick lube. It costs less than Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple or anything you care to name when you factor in that it lasts longer, protects better and gives more horsepower and mileage. I have seen many Vets get 3 to 4 more MPG compared to Mobile 1. Proven facts. Anyone posting anything against it is sadly misinformed or simply never had all the facts. I have seen gas and diesels go 25,000 miles with it. Look into this stuff as intently as you look into buying a Camaro and Amsoil is where you will spend your money. If you got ANY questions please contact me through my site. Mike
I don't think many would disagree that Amsoil is very good oil. What I have a problem with is the cost vs. OCI. If I can get 10,000 miles on $3 DINO oil, why should I buy Amsoil? Sell me on it.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #70
flashback1994

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs black on black
when do you recomend break-in change and how many before going to regular changes
flashback1994 is offline   Reply With Quote