Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
IM not surprised at the price point of the SS sedan it has a ton of Standard features that are options on a lot of cars throughout GM's line up, The only thing that I think hurts it are that it has only a automatic tranny and not a dual-clutch one at that not that the 6speed auto is a slouch but still not a great as a dual-clutch, So imo a manual car should be offered as well heck it already has GG tax that's gonna be included into the price. And I think chevy's 0-60 time is a bit of sand bagging also cause the GXP did it faster with the same power and im guessing about the same weight as well. But I do think it will handle better than the Srt8 cause most models that GM puts out seem to do well in reviews about their handling and feel of the road. Me if I could afford one I would get either White or the Mystic green Maybe ill pick up a used one of these later down the road.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #58
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Then you would be competing with your own Impala and there's no profit in a $30k NA-spec VF Commodore.
Well will see. Once "must have" and "first one on the the block" first year buyers of the SS pay $5,000 over MSRP for the intentionally short supply SS, the demand will taper off.
Wait 2 or 3 years and watch for deep discounts on the SS. That's when the number crunchers at GM will think about putting out a de-contented car.
Impala buyers aren't looking for a performance car with a gas guzzler tax.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #59
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Too bad you can't choose a base LS model.
Delete all of the stuff on this list except for the powertrain. Include cloth seats, manual AC and AM/FM with CD changer. Then charge $29,995 for the car.

Yea this is kind of like a G8 GT but with a manual. The GT was the best bang for the buck by far. It was $10K less than the GXP and outsold the GXP 5 to 1.

Loading up the SS with a million bells & whistles is kind of like when my cable company makes me pay $100 for 300 channels I don't ever watch just to get 5 good ones. I get lane departure warning and parking assist but no manual transmission? On a 4-door Vette? It's just tough paying $44K plus GG tax on top of everything else.

Quote:
Well will see. Once "must have" and "first one on the the block" first year buyers of the SS pay $5,000 over MSRP for the intentionally short supply SS, the demand will taper off.
Wait 2 or 3 years and watch for deep discounts on the SS.
The SS is special order so there won't be any discounts., not big ones anyway. Dealers just won't order them because people won't buy them.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #60
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
IM not surprised at the price point of the SS sedan it has a ton of Standard features that are options on a lot of cars throughout GM's line up, The only thing that I think hurts it are that it has only a automatic tranny and not a dual-clutch one at that not that the 6speed auto is a slouch but still not a great as a dual-clutch, So imo a manual car should be offered as well heck it already has GG tax that's gonna be included into the price. And I think chevy's 0-60 time is a bit of sand bagging also cause the GXP did it faster with the same power and im guessing about the same weight as well. But I do think it will handle better than the Srt8 cause most models that GM puts out seem to do well in reviews about their handling and feel of the road. Me if I could afford one I would get either White or the Mystic green Maybe ill pick up a used one of these later down the road.
Like I said, in the closest Zeta/LX comparison,. the Zeta lost by 7 seconds around VIR, I am not saying there will be that much of a difference between the SS and SRT8, but that SRT8 was around 14 seconds quicker than the Caprice (the direct comparison was the Caprice and the Charger purstuit). Charger has a number of advantages including it's high tech adjustable suspension (I don't believe the SS gets the MRC), The SRTs 4 wheel brambos vs the SS apparently front only, not on sure on tires though.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #61
Stew

Unfortunatly I think GM has designed the SS selling position for failure to show the public "see, we knew it was a bad idea, now move on".
Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #62
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Wait 2 or 3 years and watch for deep discounts on the SS. That's when the number crunchers at GM will think about putting out a de-contented car.
Impala buyers aren't looking for a performance car with a gas guzzler tax.
No point in producing a de-contented car at that time because by then VF will be dead.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #63
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Unfortunatly I think GM has designed the SS selling position for failure to show the public "see, we knew it was a bad idea, now move on".

I agree 100% with this statemnet. GM could have easily made this a much better car! They have set it up for failure just so they can prove a point, and not have to worry about making a rear drive v8 powered sedan again.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #64
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
I agree 100% with this statemnet. GM could have easily made this a much better car! They have set it up for failure just so they can prove a point, and not have to worry about making a rear drive v8 powered sedan again.
lolwut.

The pricing is completely warranted. The content is there. The demand issue is mitigated through build-to-order.

And please. Are you forgetting this?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #65
Stew

Quote:
lolwut.

The pricing is completely warranted. The content is there. The demand issue is mitigated through build-to-order.

Well, maybe not any RWD sedan, but maybe wanting to keep it to Caddilac. Other than that, the unexciting design, 1 trim, order only manufacturing, a goal of 10k (probably unachievable), and it is cooked up to be a point rather than a car. Maybe once it fails though we'll get that turbo AWD Impala SS okay, mybe not.......
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #66
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
As much as I want to see Chevrolet back in the RWD sedan market, you have to remember this is a limited production car and every single one of them will sell, even at $44k. Hell, if I didn't have the V, I would have been standing in line to pre-order.

Cadillac currently has two RWD sedans and a third (Omega) in the making. After seeing the all new Impala on a FWD/AWD platform I have given up hope of anything beyond the SS on Zeta.

Chevrolet is a volume brand and RWD sedans are not in demand the way that FWD people-haulers are.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #67
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
lolwut.

I was meaning a more affordable average joe sedan. The V's are a completely diffrent type of car then what the SS is. People who are shopping for a V would not buy an SS

The V's are good looking exciting cars. You dont have to custom order one you can find one on the lot.

The SS apart from ist interior is a very plain, unexciting car. They brought the car up here from Down under, and made it very boring so the people that keep begging for the Holden will see it wont work, and will hopefully forget about it.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #68
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
I was meaning a more affordable average joe sedan. The V's are a completely diffrent type of car then what the SS is. People who are shopping for a V would not buy an SS

The V's are good looking exciting cars. You dont have to custom order one you can find one on the lot.

The SS apart from ist interior is a very plain, unexciting car. They brought the car up here from Down under, and made it very boring so the people that keep begging for the Holden will see it wont work, and will hopefully forget about it.
No, they designed it that way because that's what Australians buy. The North American market is basically an afterthought for VF. GM really doesn't care how many units it sells here because it's just helping recoup development for its main market, Australia.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #69
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
+1
Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #70
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
No, they designed it that way because that's what Australians buy. The North American market is basically an afterthought for VF. GM really doesn't care how many units it sells here because it's just helping recoup development for its main market, Australia.
But we do not get the SAME cars as they do , I would go gaga over the Holden + a bow tie here