Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #57
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I transferred the white SS from the rear to the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #58
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
What does any of that have to do with a camaro that has obviously been modified.
Think about that for awhile
Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 PM   #59
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #60
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
I transferred the white SS from the rear to the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it would look better placed on the painted dash insert.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #61
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I’m too lazy to care about debadging, let alone actually doing it. Picking up my dog’s turds is more important.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #62
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I considered trying to change my screenname from sleeper as it isn't exactly the 4 door sedan that runs 8's. I chose it without much thought after seeing how 99% of the people didn't know it from a 1LS. Have to say it's hard to tell a hellcat from a v-6 unless you know what to look for too.
With no emblems or chrome, except for the hood, I think it is about as exciting as a front loading washing machine.
I chose to re badge and add chrome.
Attached Images

silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #63
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Ok I will think out loud.
Quote:
"Really? You do not know what a sleeper is? The muscle car manufacturers of days gone would put huge engines in family sedans or non menacing looking coupes. No badges, no big exhaust note. Nothing. Then when they hit the pedal, the driver in the othe lane knew, he had been HAD"
Camaro is not a huge engine in a family car.
Camaro is not a non menacing looking coupe.
What camaro comes from the factory with no badges?
How is removing the badges not a cosmetic mod?

Who is it that looks at a camaro with the badges removed and says oohh I bet he is slow I want to race him?

A sleeper camaro is just like a sleeper Lamborghini.
Its a camaro, the slow ones are fast.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #64
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:

Who is it that looks at a camaro with the badges removed and says oohh I bet he is slow I want to race him?

Not around here. A stock L99 is at least a couple of seconds faster than a V6 manual. lol!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #65
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
well, with today you can take photos and photo shop what your car may look like with/with out badges. i'm not a computer person at all and did some things before I pulled the trigger. I also asked a few non Camaro friends what they thought just to get opinions and I removed some badges and added some lettering but I am going with a theme on my Camaro. so that plays a role with some people.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #66
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
There are enough sixxer 5th gens running on non-RS wheels & tires that high performance (in today's context) is not a given when you first see a 5th gen.

I would never consider a debadged Camaro to be a "modified Camaro" for that reason alone. At best - as part of a sleeper build, it gets to ride on the coattails of the real performance mods by being part of the effort to disguise what the car is really capable of.

Quote:
I'm not a street racer so I don't know how those guys think or how they size up a potential 'kill'. But they're probably a whole lot more observant than most people, who can look at an SS Camaro without even seeing the difference between the red and the white 'SS' emblems . . . let alone have any idea that the difference means anything. They'd see the blacked-out hood of a 1LE without understanding a thing.

Quote:

The whole concept of a 'sleeper' build probably traces back to the British "Q-ships" of WWI and WWII. Google it.

Norm
Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #67
Rusty35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There are enough sixxer 5th gens running on non-RS wheels & tires that high performance (in today's context) is not a given when you first see a 5th gen.

I would never consider a debadged Camaro to be a "modified Camaro" for that reason alone. At best - as part of a sleeper build, it gets to ride on the coattails of the real performance mods by being part of the effort to disguise what the car is really capable of.

I'm not a street racer so I don't know how those guys think or how they size up a potential 'kill'. But they're probably a whole lot more observant than most people, who can look at an SS Camaro without even seeing the difference between the red and the white 'SS' emblems . . . let alone have any idea that the difference means anything. They'd see the blacked-out hood of a 1LE without understanding a thing.

The whole concept of a 'sleeper' build probably traces back to the British "Q-ships" of WWI and WWII. Google it.

Norm
I did my share of street racing in the 70s, the sleepers were the ones that went after the rich kids in factory hot rods.
I had a 73 kingswood wagon with a 427, and 8" slicks inside the fenders.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #68
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:

You people who have no idea. Really? Just really?

A Camaro is not a Camaro. Take a ZL1 and take off badges and hood. Looks like a base Camaro with Zl1 wheels. Until they fire it up and hit the gas and leave your ass sitting there.

Take for instance the photo I have included below. No badging except for the Camaro on the side........Sleeper or just a "Camaro " as you have so abundantly put it. Go ahead and jump on this "Just a Camaro " if you want to. but I guarantee you will not like the outcome.

How is going backwards a "cosmetic mod"? I will give you that it is personal taste as to what one wants on their car. And whatever a person wants on it I support 100%. It is there car.

If you do not know the differences you really should just leave it alone.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #69
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:

A Camaro is not a Camaro. Take a ZL1 and take off badges and hood. Looks like a base Camaro with Zl1 wheels. Until they fire it up and hit the gas and leave your ass sitting there.

Take for instance the photo I have included below. No badging except for the Camaro on the side........Sleeper or just a "Camaro " as you have so abundantly put it. Go ahead and jump on this "Just a Camaro " if you want to. but I guarantee you will not like the outcome.

How is going backwards a "cosmetic mod"? I will give you that it is personal taste as to what one wants on their car. And whatever a person wants on it I support 100%. It is there car.

That old COPO Camaro looks as much like a sleeper as a Lamborghini does.lol! Well, not exactly, but you get my point. However, you'd never have to worry about running into one on the street because those things are rarer than a hen's tooth.

A Camaro is not a sleeper, especially the newer models. Also, old cars with wide tires and police style hubcaps just scream "I'm probably pretty quick, so don't mess with me".

A sleeper for me would be something so unassuming that you never know what hit you until you were smoked at the stoplight. You know, something like The Farm Truck on youtube for example.

The Gen5 is at least a low 14 sec car even on the slowest 2LS models. Even today, that is still relatively quick. A sleeper would have no performance or even sporty pretensions in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #70
Rusty35

Quote:

I do know the difference.
That is exactly the cars we would go after with our sleepers.

When I seen a car with the badges removed it was a dead give away that the owner was trying to be tricky.
A 396 SS with 327 emblems was what you had to watch for.