Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #57
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
First of all, to some on here remember to respect people's posts and opinions. If you don't agree just say so without making personal attacks.

To the OP, there are a couple of things at play in the design of the Camaro. If you notice, the actual production car is almost identical to the original concept car. This is something that doesn't happen very often. Because of that, some aspects of the car had to be sacrificed (I would say visibility is perhaps one of the key ones). Also, trying to make this car appeal to as many people as possible also causes further sacrifices (e.g. giving it a more comfortable ride for highway time while still maintaining some track aspects for the weekend racer). GM needed to sell a bunch of these right out of the gate so they needed to make a car that "fits" as many people as possible. If a Z/28 comes out, that may be more focused at those people who want a more race-ready car and along with that may come better handling and a different (read more uncomfortable for the everyday driver) ride.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily disagree with you. The handling could be better and at first I too was cautious with the car. However, the more I drive it and learn how it responds to my actions and to conditions on the road, the more comfortable I get with the car. I think that is true with any car I have ever gotten into to. This one is just amplified because it has a ton of power pushing it. Find a nice road with lots of curves and not much traffic (I have the luxury of living on one so I get lots of practice). Drive it over and over and push the car a little bit different each run. Turn off the radio and pay attention to the way the car responds. Learn how the car drives. If after that you still don't feel comfortable in the car, then I would agree with some other posts - get rid of it. However, if you give it a chance and learn how it handles, I think you will fall in love with it. I can tell you that I try to find every excuse to get mine out. A run to the store 5 minutes away for milk. Commute to work. Run out and get the mail. Whatever. I love driving this car. I love the feel and the sound when I mash the gas. I love the roll when I get into a corner. Stick with it and give it a chance.
Well said Pete
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #58
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
I'm surprised at many people who say the OP is "whining". It's good for people to provide feedback where Camaro can be improved. GM is reading and the more people speak up about things, the greater the chance of them improving it. If we all kept our mouths shut and bowed before the temple of GM - GM will never improve and never become better. Speak up! That's what a forum is for.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #59
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
I think the car handles great !! The streering is tight and quick for me. I don't push it because I have 40 year old reflexes..

As far as taking it for a ride. I only go out "just to take it for a ride", all the other times I just stare at it.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #60
catmaster1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzaaa View Post
Hi Wullger...well yeah, I guess I could...but I'm not really into that stuff. Would rather the manufacturer made it right in the first place!
If that happened all the time, we would not have an aftermarket
catmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #61
jezzaaa

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
I rather enjoy read others opinions even if its negative. I have to ask if the op test drove a 2010 camaro before buying one? Myself even though i loved the looks of it i test drove 3 2010's before sinking down 40k. For me after driving a 100hp Santa Fe for 4 years this is a monster upgrade for fun. Its clear this is not the right car for you which is cool. Good luck in your future purchase's
Hi Thrillz...to answer your question, no I didn't test drive it first. I couldn't...none of the dealers here in Abu Dhabi or Dubai were running demonstrators as they sell every car they bring in as soon as they arrive over here. So I had to take a shot, based on reviews and sitting in one in the show room! It's one of the reasons I voiced the opinions on here that I did...if anyone else was in the same situation and couldn't test drive first, then I was hoping it might help them.

Cheers,
J.
jezzaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #62
jezzaaa

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmaster1 View Post
If that happened all the time, we would not have an aftermarket
Sure you would...people buy BMW M3s and Boxsters that many regard to be perfect from the showroom...but some owners still do modify them to tailor them to their own requirements.
jezzaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #63
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
damn right, I had a 2000 323i, it handled great, bought it while stationed in germany and drove it on the autobahn to it's 138mph max speed ALL the time everywhere I went, even long drives (1+ hrs to luxemburg and/or france regularly).....and although it handled great, I still got Bilstien PSS9 coils and UUC sways, as well as a cold air intake, tune and exhaust.

So even if folks think things are "perfect" from the factory, even lambo and porsche owners buy aftermarket suspension and brakes to improve handling, stopping and the HP makers too.

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote