Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #7085
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I bought a Hurst shifter and installed it.. I like it. It will have more "buzzing" than the "GM hurst" shifter. I talked with AL Op. about it a year ago. That is why the shifters where delayed when the camaro first came out, GM didn't like the buzz they were getting out of the shifter.

The ratio is the same between the two Hurst shifter though.

I think replacing the whole thing that the MGW does is a waste of money... that is my opinion though... a lot more work involved as well.
While you here I'd like to ask a question. Why does the V6 manual shifter have centering springs?
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #7086
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
While you here I'd like to ask a question. Why does the V6 manual shifter have centering springs?
Not sure what you mean? the V8 shifter has them as well I believe, unless we are not talking about the same thing. do you mean when the car is out of gear the shifter centers?

I don't know a whole lot about the V6 manual. I didn't even pay attention that the shifting pattern was different between the 6 and 8

I am always here, just don't post all the time....
Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #7087
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Not sure what you mean? the V8 shifter has them as well I believe, unless we are not talking about the same thing.

I don't know a whole lot about the V6 manual. I didn't even pay attention that the shifting pattern was different between the 6 and 8

I am always here, just don't post all the time....
The V8's I've seen didn't have them. Jason's didn't when he installed his Hurst but mine did. I'll take a pic of what I took off.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #7088
TLSTWIN

Quote:
The V8's I've seen didn't have them. Jason's didn't when he installed his Hurst but mine did. I'll take a pic of what I took off.
ok, that will help.

I edited the post you quoted after you quoted it... is that what you meant?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #7089
nak3dsnake

Quote:
ok, that will help.

I edited the post you quoted after you quoted it... is that what you meant?
No, not the centering action. But these, they were wrapped around the stock shifter under the boot. They had to be removed before the stock shifter could be removed.
The Hurst stick instructions called them centering springs.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #7090
TLSTWIN

Quote:
No, not the centering action. But these, they were wrapped around the stock shifter under the boot. They had to be removed before the stock shifter could be removed.
The Hurst stick instructions called them centering springs.

interesting...... these where on top of the transmission tunnel, under the boot?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #7091
nak3dsnake

Quote:
interesting...... these where on top of the transmission tunnel, under the boot?
Here's a diagram showing them around the shifter. They are at the top of the assembly.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #7092
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Here's a diagram showing them around the shifter. They are at the top of the assembly.

ok, I see... how does the v8 one look do you have that parts blow-up?

I honestly don't know... I could make a few guesses, but that's all they would be right now.... I will see what I can come up with...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #7093
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Jmat... You can try out my hurst at MidOhio too.

Also the GM hurst is less of a reduction than the aftermarket I do believe...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #7094
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I would disagree, but I can't find any info...just based on what Al Op. told me last year.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #7095
photonfury
I wanna go fast!!!!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Here is a thread on the reduction numbers for different shifters.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129072
Old 09-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #7096
velociSSimo
... well, not yet.

Drives: 2012 Chevy Silverado ZL1
Quote:
I bought a Hurst shifter and installed it.. I like it. It will have more "buzzing" than the "GM hurst" shifter. I talked with AL Op. about it a year ago. That is why the shifters where delayed when the camaro first came out, GM didn't like the buzz they were getting out of the shifter.

The ratio is the same between the two Hurst shifter though.

I think replacing the whole thing that the MGW does is a waste of money... that is my opinion though... a lot more work involved as well.
Everything I've read says the factory has less reduction? Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzd01 View Post
Ideally you might try the MGW, Hurst or other shifters before you make a purchase. I have an MGW shifter that you could try at Mid Ohio if we have the opportunity.

Installation does take longer but I don't think it is too bad. I installed my own and helped install MGW shifters for 1 RD JEWL, SilverIceman and OldSchoolCamaro. I do have a lift which helps significantly.
I appreciate the offer. I'll probably take you up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Jmat... You can try out my hurst at MidOhio too.

Thanks! I'll try yours too!

I came across an MGW new in the box for $330 shipped with no handle. Also the factory Hurst is way too much mullah!!!... $500+! How much did you guys pay for the aftermarket Hurst if you dont mind me asking?

I'm convincing myself to do both springs and shifter! Would likely end up Eibach if I do both though. Where did those of you Eibach guys get yours?

Thanks all for the help!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #7097
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonfury View Post
Here is a thread on the reduction numbers for different shifters.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129072
I am someone that needs real data, not something someone just states... know what I mean? It isn't that I don't trust you, just too many people "hear" something from someone that heard it from their cousin that has a good friend that works at GM...lol

Just like one of the guys in that thread stated, depending on which handle you put on it, dictates the reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post

I came across an MGW new in the box for $330 shipped with no handle. Also the factory Hurst is way too much mullah!!!... $500+! How much did you guys pay for the aftermarket Hurst if you dont mind me asking?

I'm convincing myself to do both springs and shifter! Would likely end up Eibach if I do both though. Where did those of you Eibach guys get yours?

Thanks all for the help!!!
I think I paid $275 or $325 I can't remember, there was a deal going on when the shifters first came out. Someone on here was offering a discounted price.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #7098
131 SS
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
I would disagree, but I can't find any info...just based on what Al Op. told me last year.
Quote:
I am someone that needs real data, not something someone just states...
Not to bust your balls but in one post you say you disagree based on what someone told you and then the very next post you say you need real data not just someone running their mouth. Color me confused.

Mike

Tags
boringeversincehausleft, doesanyoneactuallyreadthislol, drew10stealsbolts, funny tags are funny, hrpii is pregnant, iroc204hp, irocababy, irocabigsticktobeatyouall, irocansshole, irocarubmark, irocasuspension, irocfluffyslippers, irocgrocerygetter, irocinsomnia, irocsshole, the jeopardy song, trackdaymidohio, whogetsridoftheircamaro4ajeep, whydotheyhatechubby?