Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #799
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
i had asked a while back but no one ever really answered, so i'm here again. i would love to get a P90 and was wondering what you guys thought of it? thanks

well, the P90 is the full auto version, I assume your talking about the PS90 (civilian version, semi auto with a longer barrel). I've not fired a PS90, held a few but I have shot the FN Five-Seven.... basically the handgun version (both shoot the 5.7x28mm). Its a great shooting gun, very accurate out to 200yds (in a handgun!) Biggest problem I have with them is the price of both the weapon and the ammo (plus its hard to find). I really like how the P90 ejects the shells straight down... great for lefties (no more brass in the face lol). The recoil is really light on it, but then again... its a really tiny round! All depends on what you plan to do with it.
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #800
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
well, the P90 is the full auto version, I assume your talking about the PS90 (civilian version, semi auto with a longer barrel). I've not fired a PS90, held a few but I have shot the FN Five-Seven.... basically the handgun version (both shoot the 5.7x28mm). Its a great shooting gun, very accurate out to 200yds (in a handgun!) Biggest problem I have with them is the price of both the weapon and the ammo (plus its hard to find). I really like how the P90 ejects the shells straight down... great for lefties (no more brass in the face lol). The recoil is really light on it, but then again... its a really tiny round! All depends on what you plan to do with it.
thanks. i'm a huge stargate fan and they used them for years on that show and to me they just seem really cool and fun to use. and they look great. i'm not a gun person i've shot pellet guns and a few handguns at the shooting range. but to me it just looks like a cool gun thanks to stargate. and ya i guess i would have to get the PS90. it would just be for shooting targets i know nothing about guns really.

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #801
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
picked up one of these the other day.... heard about them a while back and was kinda iffy on the idea.... but its actually really comfortable. Its even waterproof to keep sweat etc from getting on your gun.

http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

Works great as an athletic cup too . I got the security model... I can actually carry 2 full sized handguns in there, although I'll just put a magazine on the other side. Lemme know if you wanna know anything else about it.
Cool, will probably end up ordering one eventually. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #802
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
thanks. i'm a huge stargate fan and they used them for years on that show and to me they just seem really cool and fun to use. and they look great. i'm not a gun person i've shot pellet guns and a few handguns at the shooting range. but to me it just looks like a cool gun thanks to stargate. and ya i guess i would have to get the PS90. it would just be for shooting targets i know nothing about guns really.

They are around $1900-2100 here in the states. The ammo is pretty easy to find around here though. If you just want it to have as a toy, then pick one up. If you actually want to use it for something, i would get an ar platform and go from there.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #803
Edge.128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
They are around $1900-2100 here in the states. The ammo is pretty easy to find around here though. If you just want it to have as a toy, then pick one up. If you actually want to use it for something, i would get an ar platform and go from there.
it would just be a toy at the range. but before i could get it i would have to jump through many many hoops. gun laws are very different up here in canada so ya.... but thanks i will look in to it more. I just think it looks like th coolest gun lol

Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #804
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
it would just be a toy at the range. but before i could get it i would have to jump through many many hoops. gun laws are very different up here in canada so ya.... but thanks i will look in to it more. I just think it looks like th coolest gun lol
Then get started on the paperwork and get yourself one!
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #805
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Then get started on the paperwork and get yourself one!

Keep in mind that the PS90 is typically the long barreled civilian version to avoid it being an SBR and requiring approval. I have seen few SBR PS90s in just SA anywhere for sale. That being said, Canada may have different laws govering short barreled rifles (SBRs) that we do. SBRs in the USA are NFA weapons and require an approval process as machine guns do here.

I know that you folks in Canada also may have mag. capacity limitations in some provinces of which the PS90 may not have a low cap. mag. for you to buy - or a modified one either that limits the amount of rounds. Just throwin' that out there for you if you're seriously interested. For example: I know the Sport System Dittrich (SSD) WW2 MP44 variation is available in Canada (100% made in Germany), but the mag. capacity is limited to 5 rounds in some places in Canada as I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that...

Dog
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #806
Edge.128

i'm not up to date on the laws but up here i read somewhere the PS90 is a semi-auto version and the clip is limited to 10 shots.... its probably not hard to find the full 50 shot magazine though if you wanted. but i think to sell it is 10 rounds. so yes they do limit the rounds in certain guns.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #807
Ruin
...soon

Drives: 1969 Corvette & 2010 Mazda 3
Quote:
i'm not up to date on the laws but up here i read somewhere the PS90 is a semi-auto version and the clip is limited to 10 shots.... its probably not hard to find the full 50 shot magazine though if you wanted. but i think to sell it is 10 rounds. so yes they do limit the rounds in certain guns.
Go to your local gun store (or equivalent) and ask. Following the law is critical. Here in the states, if you have a state that limits magazine capacity and are caught with magazines over that it can be a misdemeanor or a felony.

I've shot a PS90. They're fun. Kinda novel really though. Expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, and not much flexibility. They look cool as hell and get a lot of attention at the range... but that's about it.

I own an AR-15 in 5.45 that is my range toy. 1000 rounds for about $120 and the ability to customize it as I choose... awesome. I built the lower with Magpul CTR stock for about $200, then bought a 5.45 Smith and Wesson upper with rails and flip up front sight for about $500. I bought an EOTech 552 for my deployment that I threw on it when I got home. I have a sweet range toy that's cheap to shoot, but feels like the regular 5.56 for about $1000 (extra magazines and a heavier buffer tube for better functioning) and then for an extra $250 I got 2000 rounds of ammo. So... $1600 to $2100 for a rifle that I can't do much with, plus who knows how much for ammo... or $1250 for a rifle I can use without mercy and shoot without guilt.

But hey, the joy is... to each his own. If you have the money and really want it, make it happen!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #808
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
Go to your local gun store (or equivalent) and ask. Following the law is critical. Here in the states, if you have a state that limits magazine capacity and are caught with magazines over that it can be a misdemeanor or a felony.

I've shot a PS90. They're fun. Kinda novel really though. Expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, and not much flexibility. They look cool as hell and get a lot of attention at the range... but that's about it.

I own an AR-15 in 5.45 that is my range toy. 1000 rounds for about $120 and the ability to customize it as I choose... awesome. I built the lower with Magpul CTR stock for about $200, then bought a 5.45 Smith and Wesson upper with rails and flip up front sight for about $500. I bought an EOTech 552 for my deployment that I threw on it when I got home. I have a sweet range toy that's cheap to shoot, but feels like the regular 5.56 for about $1000 (extra magazines and a heavier buffer tube for better functioning) and then for an extra $250 I got 2000 rounds of ammo. So... $1600 to $2100 for a rifle that I can't do much with, plus who knows how much for ammo... or $1250 for a rifle I can use without mercy and shoot without guilt.

But hey, the joy is... to each his own. If you have the money and really want it, make it happen!

AR15s are the lego guns of the market. I've had 3 (2 Colts and 1 BM) and I love them. You can customize it in so many different ways to where you won't find any two that look alike at the range on a given day.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #809
Edge.128

from wikipedia on the AR15:

The Government of Canada classifies the AR-15 (and its variants) as a restricted firearm. For anyone wanting to lawfully own an AR-15, they must first pass a "Canadian Non-Restricted Firearms Safety Test", and then a "Canadian Restricted Firearms Test". This allows the applicant to obtain a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) valid for restricted firearms, subject to approval.[16][17] With the introduction of strict gun control measures by former Prime Minister Jean Chrétien (Bill C-68), the AR-15 had originally been intended to be classified as a prohibited firearm, making it all but impossible to privately own one, however due to the presence of nationwide Service Rifle target shooting competitions, the AR-15 was granted a sporting exception.

As with all Restricted firearms (including most pistols, some shotguns, and some rifles) AR-15s are only allowed to be shot at certified firing ranges. In order to legally own and transport a Restricted firearm, the firearm must be registered with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Canadian Firearms Program and must apply for an Authorization to Transport (or ATT) from the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) for their province or territory. Additionally, the firearm must be unloaded, deactivated by a trigger or action lock, and be in a locked, opaque container during transport.[18]

The issuance of ATTs varies considerably from province to province, and is generally reflective of a particular province's political and social levels of acceptance toward gun ownership. For example, in Alberta, where firearms ownership is widely accepted, generally a single ATT is promptly issued that allows citizens to transport firearms to border crossings, gunsmiths, and shooting ranges. Firearms transfers in provinces such as Quebec can take up to 3 months to process

basically i just need to go to a gun store and find out all the steps and then find the money to do it lol

Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #810
Ruin
...soon

Drives: 1969 Corvette & 2010 Mazda 3
Quote:
basically i just need to go to a gun store and find out all the steps and then find the money to do it lol
Right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
Go to your local gun store (or equivalent) and ask. Following the law is critical ... If you have the money and really want it, make it happen!
Good luck with the process, hope to see you as a happy member of the gun toting community sooner rather than later!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #811
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Day Dog View Post
Keep in mind that the PS90 is typically the long barreled civilian version to avoid it being an SBR and requiring approval. I have seen few SBR PS90s in just SA anywhere for sale. That being said, Canada may have different laws govering short barreled rifles (SBRs) that we do. SBRs in the USA are NFA weapons and require an approval process as machine guns do here.

I know that you folks in Canada also may have mag. capacity limitations in some provinces of which the PS90 may not have a low cap. mag. for you to buy - or a modified one either that limits the amount of rounds. Just throwin' that out there for you if you're seriously interested. For example: I know the Sport System Dittrich (SSD) WW2 MP44 variation is available in Canada (100% made in Germany), but the mag. capacity is limited to 5 rounds in some places in Canada as I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that...

Dog
It varries depending on the firearm, but the general rule for mag capacity in Canada is as follows:
-All handguns are limited to 10 round mags.
-All centre fire rifles are limited to 5 rounds.
-Shotguns are limited to 3.
-.22 cal have no limit.

Any mag that has a capacity greater than the above is classified as a prohibited device and can land you in a little bit of trouble.

But there are exceptions, like I said. M1 Garands are exempt from the 5 round limit for centre fire rifles, MG34/42 belts (50 rounds per belt) are also exempt.

So for whatever firearm you are planning on getting, assume you are going to have to abide by the above mag cap restrictions and count yourself lucky if your firearm is exempt.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #812
The Beard

Drives: 2013 2SS HWSE M6
I can dream can't I?
Attached Images

Tags
camaro gun