Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 09-09-2023, 02:18 PM   #71
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Got message yesterday that my new wheels came in, called around and found someone to mount them (discount tire said they don't stretch tires but they had cheapest price) they are mounted and they look good but they didn't check clearances, so I stopped for a griddibg noise in the rear and turns out rear wheel was eating handbrake cable, have no tools because I emptied the car to fit the wheels, now sitting waiting for dad to come by with pair of pliers so I can push wire in a bet more
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2023, 03:11 PM   #72
Eddymel1998

Plot thickens, car sounds like a jackhammer (partially because of the loose lug nuts, that's my bad I just needed to limp the car home the 5 minutes so I can get it on some jack stands), I checked the pressures and these seem way too high, unless I need higher ones with stretched wheels, so gonna go air them down, fix the handbrake cable situation and recheck all the nuts, then take it on another test drive. Then people wonder why I do a lot of the work myself, I'm pretty pissed off, spent over an hour in a parking lot with no tools and now I'm probably gonna spend about same fixing everything, I could tale the car back but it's not safe to drive as is and by the time it is i might as well just fix everything myself.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2023, 06:16 PM   #73
Eddymel1998

Okay final update of the day, guess I was wrong, it took me 3 hours to fix everything, so first things first the area where the cable meets the sleeve for the handbrake popped out of the socket, after struggling under the car with pry bar threaded past the exhaust and driveshaft I hammered it withing the like 4 inches of space I had under the car until I realized handbrake was on (threw it on out of habit when lifting the car) once off I popped the plastic bit into socket and nudged it in, the whole thing might have been from when I changed the diff seals, might have pulled it out of socket by accident and only now realise, so to fix I filled the worn bit in with liquid electrical tape (only had red) then layer of duct tape and to make it look nice a layer of electrical tape.
Name:  PXL_20230909_213951059.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  124.3 KBName:  PXL_20230909_214044913.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  115.8 KBName:  PXL_20230909_214542591.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  128.9 KB

Also the wire threw some of the balancing weights off the car so I used some moulding tape to put them back on, hopefully fine
Name:  PXL_20230909_211801744.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  238.1 KBName:  PXL_20230909_213459373.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  303.7 KB

Finally I broke free all the lug nuts (were ridiculously over torqued, I had to stand and hop on the 1.5ft breaker bar to get them off, then torqued them to spec, then I read up a bit on stretched tire pressures and lots of people say 40 is min but sidewall says not to exceed 40 when beading so I figured around 36-37 was good, took it for a drive, threw it around some extreme corners and got it up to speeds, everything is nice, tire warmed up to just under 40, overall they look great and I'm happy to put this behind me.
Name:  PXL_20230909_225833429~2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  347.4 KB
Old 09-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #74
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I have the same wheels and never had an issue with the ebrake cable. I actually have tons of clearance. Everyone mentioned this when I did mine but I did not have to tie mine back like everyone stated. Sorry you had to deal with that.... Easy way to make a cool new mod like wheels and tires suck and be a bad experience. It does look sick though.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:40 PM   #75
Eddymel1998

And it gets better, I don't think the wheels are balanced properly, steering wheel shakes on the freeway like it's scared, contemplating whether to take it back and make them fix it or just got take it someplace I know they'll do it right to fix everything.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:28 PM   #76
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I had nothing but steering shake when I bought my car, changed wheels still had it, had those wheels balanced 3 times, still had it. Changed rotors, still had it. Changed to a different brand of tires and still had it. Changed to a one piece driveshaft, gone....

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:13 PM   #77
Eddymel1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I had nothing but steering shake when I bought my car, changed wheels still had it, had those wheels balanced 3 times, still had it. Changed rotors, still had it. Changed to a different brand of tires and still had it. Changed to a one piece driveshaft, gone....
Lol, I'm at discount tire right now to check the balance just in case, if it's still there then I can at least try different things, never would've guessed that a driveshaft could jerk the steering.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:41 AM   #78
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I've experienced steering shake a few times and almost every time it was related to the front wheel alignment.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #79
Eddymel1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I've experienced steering shake a few times and almost every time it was related to the front wheel alignment.
Apparently they messed up the balancing, got it fixed yesterday and the shaking is almost entirely gone, still a faint shake above 60 when heading dead straight but I think you might be right with alignment, haven't checked it yet while owning the car, right now waiting until I get to doing suspension stuff since car will need alignment then anyways, might get rid of that final little bit of shaking.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:42 PM   #80
Eddymel1998

Just wanted to give a shout-out to this 5 gallon eagle can, found out about it doing HAZWOPPER training and bought one before the summer to keep the car going on longer trips, this weekend did a 420ish mile trip and got home with 1\8th a tank to spare (80 miles according to the car) thanks to it. Also tucks nicely into the trunk and has none of the usual anti spill bs the funnel for it can be a bit of a pain to get on but it's not that bad.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2023, 03:48 AM   #81
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Not a good idea to keep a gas can in the trunk of our cars. With the fold down rear seat you basically have 5 gallons of fuel in the passenger compartment. Fuel fumes are pretty volatile and can ignite from just a small static spark or just a minor collision. Even your gas can has a warning on it, 6th item under DANGER. Stay safe!
Old 10-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #82
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Do not store gas can in the trunk.
chevy pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #83
Eddymel1998

It's for trips, I typically fill it up few days beforehand and store it in the garage away from boiler and such, can has a flash arrestor and whole place is not confined enough to cause an issue, then when I need it I toss it in the trunk and fill up the car when I get to the destination, while driving, car is cool enough that the vapors don't build up enough to degass in any noticable way, especially with HVAC system running, I save left it in hot car few times by accident tho and it does smell up the interior of the car, I don't think enough to cause any major issues but enough for me to stop doing it. At the end of the day there is a risk like with anything but having used this can and learned it's limitations, same with limitations of this car, I feel perfectly safe using it the way I use it
Old 10-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #84
Eddymel1998

Also I guess few updated, last major parts for the brake update just came in, still waiting on rear brembo stickers but those are not that important, aiming to get it all installed weekend after this, or if I get impatient, this weekend.
Name:  PXL_20231003_042141059.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  214.0 KB

Also my 6 or so inch windshield crack grew about 5 inches within a span of one night few weeks back, as temps start to drop so figured now is the time to get it replaced, car is in shop and I asked for the HUD specific windshield while at it, insurance wouldn't cover non original windshield and with a $500 deductible it's not like I would be saving any major money, shop quoted me somewhere in $600-700 range which makes me doubt if it's the HUD glass, but guess we'll see, worst case I had zero issues with standard glass.

Finally I think my battery might be starting to go, 2 weekends ago was the first time since I think June or July that my car did not drive over the weekend, so when I got in Monday I got that characteristic Christmas tree of lights with dead tach and rough inconsistent idle and noticable power drop. Went away as battery got charged but now I don't have the best confidence in it.