Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #71
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander033 View Post
I have driven one, and I have owned many 4x4s over the years.

Unlike you, I only want 1 truck and I need it for towing not for showing off, although thumbs up are always welcomed. lol
It's not about showing off. It's about having something unique to drive for a personal vehicle that can be used in the winter while my ZL1 sleeps. It also saves miles on my wife's Grand Cherokee because it has room to haul the kid and her stuff. The other trucks are my company vehicles that I have access when I need to do heavy work.

You owning a Gt500 could be considered just showing off too. It's no different.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #72
islander033
SLOBRA1

Drives: GT500/Cruze/DMax/Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post

You owning a Gt500 could be considered just showing off too. It's no different.
I don't see it that way, but you are welcome to think so.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #73
motorhead

Quote:
I don't see it that way, but you are welcome to think so.
touche
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #74
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
Quote:
2 things...

1- Raptors are awsome, just over priced.
2- F150 5.Br0 > Ecoturd

That is all.
100% agree. As for the comparison (or lack there of) for the Raptor, for me, I compare to what I could do to a standard 1/2 ton for the same cost. I've helped several friends build F-150s just a capable (if not more capable) than Raptors for less than what a Raptor would cost. But I guess that's the price you pay for warrantied goods.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #75
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by banter View Post
100% agree. As for the comparison (or lack there of) for the Raptor, for me, I compare to what I could do to a standard 1/2 ton for the same cost. I've helped several friends build F-150s just a capable (if not more capable) than Raptors for less than what a Raptor would cost. But I guess that's the price you pay for warrantied goods.
I agree, anything can be built. For me the difference is the looks too along with what it can do. I like the way the fenders and the bed sides are flared out and the different front and hood. If you were to do everything to an F150 to make it look like a Raptor and perform like one it would cost more than one along with some of the other features that come standard on it. First off you would have to buy one of the higher level F150s just to get some of the options that the Raptor has just as a starting point. I'm not too concerned about the warranty. I'm already looking into installing a supercharger.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #76
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 09 Acadia, 90 K1500 Z-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Well, you are a moderator on a site dedicated to a GM vehicle, so I would expect you to express a sentiment like that. What exactly is it that you trust more in a GM truck than a Ford truck?

There is a reason the F150 continues to lead the segment year after year. I'm not a truck guy, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would like to hear some feedback from folks who are as to why GM is not more competitive than it historically has been in this segment.
Like what Blur said, the GMC/Chevrolet duo has outsold the F-150 in the past making GM the #1 truck seller as a manufacturer. But since the Sierra/Silverado are the same model yet different their sales are counted separately.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #77
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
Like what Blur said, the GMC/Chevrolet duo has outsold the F-150 in the past making GM the #1 truck seller as a manufacturer. But since the Sierra/Silverado are the same model yet different their sales are counted separately.
True they have outsold F-series from time to time. Just look at the last 15 years

The GM twins have all but even split the sales down the middle. The difference is incredably small.

Add in what can be calculated for 2013 and F-Series takes the lead again.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...vys-silve.aspx

Also the all new GM trucks are actually losing market share.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ng-ground.aspx
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #78
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The F-150 doesn't share a platform between GMC and Chevrolet. GM truck sales are split, and that makes for some marketing challenges. GMC is more luxury-oriented, leading to a unique marketing issue. GMC buyers tend to prefer as a secondary brand Ford over Chevrolet because Ford doesn't have what they consider a lower-tier of the brand.
To me this argument doesn't hold water. There is no proof that if GMC wasn't around or if GM stopped selling trucks under the Chevy name that one or the other would take up the slack to beat ford. You guys say all the time that the reason we have Chevy trucks and GMC trucks is because they are marketed to different types of buyers. What's to say that if one of these brands weren't here that some those buyers wouldn't migrate to Ford or Dodge? You can't have your cake and eat it too. They are two different brands and should be counted separately. Do you also count all the traverse versions and the equinox versions as one car? I guess you also count the Tahoe, Escalade, and GMC Yukon at one Vehicle. Sorry about the long winded post. It's just that I've herd this statement time and time again and I always want to comment and felt like no time like the present.

Now if GM dropped GMC and offered more models and configurations of the Chevy brand Like Ford does with the F150 and then they outsold Ford, then I would buy it.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #79
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
To me this argument doesn't hold water. There is no proof that if GMC wasn't around or if GM stopped selling trucks under the Chevy name that one or the other would take up the slack to beat ford. You guys say all the time that the reason we have Chevy trucks and GMC trucks is because they are marketed to different types of buyers. What's to say that if one of these brands weren't here that some those buyers wouldn't migrate to Ford or Dodge? You can't have your cake and eat it too. They are two different brands and should be counted separately. Do you also count all the traverse versions and the equinox versions as one car? I guess you also count the Tahoe, Escalade, and GMC Yukon at one Vehicle. Sorry about the long winded post. It's just that I've herd this statement time and time again and I always want to comment and felt like no time like the present.

Now if GM dropped GMC and offered more models and configurations of the Chevy brand Like Ford does with the F150 and then they outsold Ford, then I would buy it.
Thank you for having logic and common sense.

You can take me as an example, right now I want a truck as my next vehicle. The current offering of trucks, the Silverado is not even on my radar, but the Sierra is. with my vehicles, looks are a big part of the reason I like it or don't. I was not wild about the new GM pickups when they were unveiled, but I saw a black 14 Sierra the otehr day and it was one of the best looking trucks I have ever seen.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #80
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
2 things...
1- Raptors are awsome, just over priced.
2- F150 5.Br0 > Ecoturd
That is all.
agreed.

Quote:
Nice unit!
thanks!

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #81
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Thank you for having logic and common sense.

You can take me as an example, right now I want a truck as my next vehicle. The current offering of trucks, the Silverado is not even on my radar, but the Sierra is. with my vehicles, looks are a big part of the reason I like it or don't. I was not wild about the new GM pickups when they were unveiled, but I saw a black 14 Sierra the otehr day and it was one of the best looking trucks I have ever seen.
I agree. The GMC 1500 trucks are light years ahead of their Chevy counterparts in the looks department. If GMC wasn't there, what brand of truck would have you gone with?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #82
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I agree. The GMC 1500 trucks are light years ahead of their Chevy counterparts in the looks department. If GMC wasn't there, what brand of truck would have you gone with?

I will be looking for a new vehicle in November. I want/need a truck. Right now the top of my list is a Sierra 1500 Z71, or an F150 FX4. I am mostly a Ford guy, but that would not stop me from getting the truck I deem better for my needs. After seeing the new GMC in person, I think its one of the best looking trucks out on the market. That is one of the main things pulling in to the Sierra is how awesome it looks.

Then GM unveiled the Colorado and that is sneaking into my list as well, but that will mostly be determined by price and fuel economy.

And let me add to that that just a few months-years ago I was one of the guys who saw no need for GMC, so now that they are starting to really seperate the looks its making more sense to me

Last edited by shaffe; 12-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote