Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #99

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's bad up there. My sister lives in Berkeley. I used to drive the Camaro up there, but not any more....

Haven't heard any follow up on this, but it just shows how bad it has gotten....A module or ECU or something is definitely making it easier for them to steal these. Anything computer, or electronic, can be hacked or defeated. Once the bay area is harvested, the theft spread will move on....A lot of similar theft threads in the California forums, and it's not slowing down yet....Good luck to us all.

http://kron4.com/2016/03/25/santa-cl...-in-car-parts/
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #100
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It's bad up there. My sister lives in Berkeley. I used to drive the Camaro up there, but not any more....

Haven't heard any follow up on this, but it just shows how bad it has gotten....A module or ECU or something is definitely making it easier for them to steal these. Anything computer, or electronic, can be hacked or defeated. Once the bay area is harvested, the theft spread will move on....A lot of similar theft threads in the California forums, and it's not slowing down yet....Good luck to us all.

http://kron4.com/2016/03/25/santa-cl...-in-car-parts/
One distinct thing I remember when moving from Dublin California to Phoenix Arizona, was

A. The news in California spoke about drive-bys, robberies, other shootings, etc, with the suspect always at large. Not much they can do because of how high the crime rate is over there.

B. The news in Phoenix / Scottsdale / Tempe / Mesa, spoke about some fights, some stolen cars, etc. ALL being caught in the act or days after they've committed the crime. If it's a string of crime, the suspects will be caught only in a matter of time.

Phoenix area law enforcement > Bay area law enforcement

But it's generally not the fault of the officers. Over there, normal citizens DON'T have the right to carry a firearm. The criminals seemingly have more rights than law enforcement and law abiding citizens. The prison system is overcrowded. And dare I mention the word, "sanctuary"?

My point is that if this string of Camaro thefts expands out of California, I doubt it'll last very long. There's a reason why they wont do this outside of the Bay Area.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #101
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I think one reason it's so bad here is because it's spread across such a vast area. The Bay Area is filled with countless cities, counties and all with their own police forces. Then add the mass exodus of officers from the area. A Camaro can be stolen one night then another the next night 50 miles, 10 cities and three counties away. The police can't do a bait car because they never know where they'll strike next. And they can't pull over every Camaro to see if it belongs to the driver. The only way to keep our Camaros from being stolen is to lock them away and never drive them or sell them.

Many of us have installed or devised ways of keeping our Camaros from being started. Weather is a $500 Revelco, $5 in Radio Shack parts or simply pulling fuses/relays, any one of them will very likely cause these thieves to move to an easier target. They're not going to troubleshoot why the car isn't starting using their usual methods. That's until they run out of easy targets and start resulting to towing or carjackings. Which I fully expect to start reading about in the near future. It's when Camaro owners start getting killed for their cars is when the real hunt will begin.

22 years ago last night I was shot twice and left for dead because some thugs wanted the wheels I had on my car. So I know what it's like for someone to want something you worked hard for and willing to kill you for it. They ended up taking my car, stripping what they wanted from it and burning it. All while I was in an emergency room fighting for my life.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #102
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I think one reason it's so bad here is because it's spread across such a vast area. The Bay Area is filled with countless cities, counties and all with their own police forces. Then add the mass exodus of officers from the area. A Camaro can be stolen one night then another the next night 50 miles, 10 cities and three counties away. The police can't do a bait car because they never know where they'll strike next. And they can't pull over every Camaro to see if it belongs to the driver. The only way to keep our Camaros from being stolen is to lock them away and never drive them or sell them.

Many of us have installed or devised ways of keeping our Camaros from being started. Weather is a $500 Revelco, $5 in Radio Shack parts or simply pulling fuses/relays, any one of them will very likely cause these thieves to move to an easier target. They're not going to troubleshoot why the car isn't starting using their usual methods. That's until they run out of easy targets and start resulting to towing or carjackings. Which I fully expect to start reading about in the near future. It's when Camaro owners start getting killed for their cars is when the real hunt will begin.

22 years ago last night I was shot twice and left for dead because some thugs wanted the wheels I had on my car. So I know what it's like for someone to want something you worked hard for and willing to kill you for it. They ended up taking my car, stripping what they wanted from it and burning it. All while I was in an emergency room fighting for my life.
Wow bro thats crazy. Glad you made it. Good points too. Esp for the Bay area guys.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote