Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #99
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvee View Post
There's this thing people use called carfax.
Carfax wouldn't show this and it doesn't list engine serial numbers.

If a buyer was serious they could run a GM service report and see any warranty work.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #100
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Thats the problem, he never beat on it!! I find it funny how people think of these cars as collectables when Gm is making as many of them as dealers will order. Original ZL1s yes, collectable, they only made 69 of them and from what Im told, most of them have warranty replacement blocks. Im sure GM will want that engine back to examine it and a new LSa will be on its way soon.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #101
fastvee
Banned

Drives: 2011 CTS-V, 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Carfax wouldn't show this and it doesn't list engine serial numbers.

If a buyer was serious they could run a GM service report and see any warranty work.
Carfax wouldn't show a warranty engine replacement?
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #102
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
Any pictures of the carnage? Would like to see the hole in the block where the piston went through. It is something you just don't see every day.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #103
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
The thing about the zl1,

Is we just don't know wether it will be or not considered collectable.

Who would've thought the chevelle or any matching# 440 mopar would be worth 4000%(total guesstimate percentage) more than original msrp today?

It might be, or it might not, but the documentation will never go away.

OP, in regards to the present, I hope GM does NOT screw you in getting your car fixed with some bogus excuse. Ive been there and its happened before with higher dollar cars, (mercedes ring a bell anyone?) There is a warranty for a reason so stuff like this can be resolved, but it just breaks my heart to see this happen to a zl1. Hence my rant.
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #104
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
It happens ... less often these days with improved quality control and consistency in manufacturing processes, however it does still happen.

Every single thing any manufacturer does comes down to risk management vs. cost; which ultimately comes down to profitability. They carefully calculate their failures per thousand and weigh up the cost of repair and bad PR vs. making their product more expensive or reducing their contribution margin. Otherwise every auto company would have all forged internals in all of their engines.

Notice how the LS9 runs forged pistons and titanium rods (amongst other things) and yet the LSA doesn't. GM's engineers through their testing and computer modelling obviously determined that with the extra HP the risk of failure outweighed the extra cost of the parts and the ability to on-charge that to the customer with an increased vehicle cost. With the LSA they would build in "insurance" in the cost of every car that would provide a balance of return against their per-determined failure rate.

Back to the topic at hand ... this looks like a con rod bolt failure to me ... that explains why the piston started slapping around inside the block and punched its way out.

Back in the late 80's my brother had a Holden '68 HK "ute" ... (ElCamino for you non-Aussies) that was running a very tough 327. He was half way down the 1/4 mile when it bellowed a cloud of smoke and stopped suddenly. When he got towed back to the pits I said "what happened?" ... he said "ignition failure" ... I said "really?" ... he said "yeah ... con rod or rod bolt broke ... pushed the piston through the side of the block ... snapped off the distributor ... so it lost spark". At least he still had his sense of humor! Mind you he didn't have such a sense of humor less than a year later when his $35,000 replacement 350 dropped a valve at over 7500rpm while sitting in an engine stand being tuned! Ouch!
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #105
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
It was Haggerty, not Barrett Jackson that said they thought the ZL1 Vert and the Corvette 427 Vert would be collectible in the future.
That's right. That's who it was!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #106
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 View Post
Any pictures of the carnage? Would like to see the hole in the block where the piston went through. It is something you just don't see every day.

Not my car. Sooch should have taken more pictures at the scene. Maybe we can go visit the dealer once the motor is out to get pictures of the carnage.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #107
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Hope in the end the owner has his ZL1 back on the road ready for spring.

Last edited by Thrillz; 02-28-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #108
Shifty11
Proud Challenger Owner

Drives: Black '11 Challenger.
That really sucks.. Hope to see it fixed soon! Would like to see some pictures though..

Shifty

-Fredericton, New Brunswick "The North Side"

I make Youtube Videos. Challenger's, Camaro's, Video Games, and the occasional randomness. Please go check out my channel!
Please Subscribe, Thumbs Up & Comment!! It'd really help me out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheJackedGamer?feature=mhee
Shifty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #109
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
I wouldn't worry about the resale value of the car with the new motor as long as he keeps the receipts ect. I was watching barret jackson a couple months ago and an old Cuda sold for the same price as an all original would sell for. Because he had the papers documenting engine failure and replacement, the car was worth just as much.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #110
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
This could have been catastrophic at highway speeds glad no one was hurt.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #111
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I wasn't thinking about taking pictures on the side of the road. It was like 20 degrees. My hands were around my testicals trying to keep warm!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #112
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I just heard from Trevor. The dealer reported that the ECM was clean, new motor is on order!!