Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #113
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocoo26 View Post
Hey TAG, I saw in another thread that you posted the paint code for the graphite silver. Where did you order it from?
P.M. him that way your not be waiting a long time for him to respond, The best way is if you see his name on a post anywhere all you do is us your left mouse button and then choose send private message to " name here"
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #114
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Hey TAG, I saw in another thread that you posted the paint code for the graphite silver. Where did you order it from?
I never ordered it. I was going to, but no one knew the paint code at the time I was trying to get the paint. I mean...I could take it to them, but they didn't know what it was. Strange... I got the info, I believe, straight from Oshawa. Oh well.. I'm sure any automotive paint store could help you. If you don't know where to go, call a dealer body shop in your area. Ask them who supplies them with their paint for their body work. You can bet your ass they will be able to get you tons of colors and be able to duplicate just about anything. I DID have a place called Gladwin paint here in town hook me with the colors I needed at the time, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
P.M. him that way your not be waiting a long time for him to respond, The best way is if you see his name on a post anywhere all you do is us your left mouse button and then choose send private message to " name here"
Come on brother! I SUBSCRIBED to THIS thread!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #115
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I never ordered it. I was going to, but no one knew the paint code at the time I was trying to get the paint. I mean...I could take it to them, but they didn't know what it was. Strange... I got the info, I believe, straight from Oshawa. Oh well.. I'm sure any automotive paint store could help you. If you don't know where to go, call a dealer body shop in your area. Ask them who supplies them with their paint for their body work. You can bet your ass they will be able to get you tons of colors and be able to duplicate just about anything. I DID have a place called Gladwin paint here in town hook me with the colors I needed at the time, though.

Come on brother! I SUBSCRIBED to THIS thread!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #116
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #117
CaliMattRS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Manual
Jocoo, be very very cafeful about the sanding. I attempted to sand mine and now I have a pretty crappy looking strip for my ABL. The light comes through and it looks good, but you can see the places where I messed up with my sanding, bugs the crap out of me.

I would suggest taking a lot of time for the sanding. Don't go past the angled edge, I went about 1/16-1/8 past and it was too difficult to keep a straight line (even with painters tape, since the sandpaper couldn't get close enough).

Also, I wired all three lights, but did not cut into the dash on the passenger side to use the third LED. I would suggest doing this since the light does weaken towards that direction. Once I get the time to tackle this project again, I will be adding that third light.

What would be best is if we could figure out a way to paint a semi transparent area. That way it looks grey and finished during the day, but the light shines through at night (and matches the doors). I wonder if we can find a grey nail polish that matches, then mix it with a clear coat so it doesn't go on as thick...
CaliMattRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #118
2SSRS@Gen5diy

If i may help on this if you can find a good 3MM LED in the right color, what you can do is drill in too passenger side of the light pipe and insert the 3 mm LED and wire it in that way you don't need to cut the dash, i will post some pics in my new DYI.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #119
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMattRS View Post
Jocoo, be very very cafeful about the sanding. I attempted to sand mine and now I have a pretty crappy looking strip for my ABL. The light comes through and it looks good, but you can see the places where I messed up with my sanding, bugs the crap out of me.

I would suggest taking a lot of time for the sanding. Don't go past the angled edge, I went about 1/16-1/8 past and it was too difficult to keep a straight line (even with painters tape, since the sandpaper couldn't get close enough).

Also, I wired all three lights, but did not cut into the dash on the passenger side to use the third LED. I would suggest doing this since the light does weaken towards that direction. Once I get the time to tackle this project again, I will be adding that third light.

What would be best is if we could figure out a way to paint a semi transparent area. That way it looks grey and finished during the day, but the light shines through at night (and matches the doors). I wonder if we can find a grey nail polish that matches, then mix it with a clear coat so it doesn't go on as thick...
You don't need to cut into the dash on the passenger side. Remove the LED out of the plastic holder and run the light into the last hole on the passenger side.

Also, you should check out my Toyota paint for the match. I've seen that shade at Autozone and Advanced auto parts. I had a Canadian OEM paint pen and I did use it on two other members cars who messed up their sanding. I don't think it is too far fetched that a Toyota paint color is used on the Camaro since GM and toyota built cars together at the Numi plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
If i may help on this if you can find a good 3MM LED in the right color, what you can do is drill in too passenger side of the light pipe and insert the 3 mm LED and wire it in that way you don't need to cut the dash, i will post some pics in my new DYI.
Not a bad idea. Or you can use the method of lighting it from the passenger side by attaching to the light pipe with a piece of airline tubing.

Have you found a matching color yet?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #120
2SSRS@Gen5diy

For the orange yes and its more power out of the LED's.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...sp=%2Fleds.htm
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #121
Jocoo26

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
If you accidentally sand where you shouldn't have, I discovered my 2000 Toyota Camry exterior paint is the same as the factory graphite silver color.

In that case look for "1B2" or Antique sage pearl if you need to touch up the sanding.
I picked this up and no offense, but it's not even close. Sage has a green tint (hence the name). I also tried a graphite but it was too dark.
Jocoo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #122
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
I picked this up and no offense, but it's not even close. Sage has a green tint (hence the name). I also tried a graphite but it was too dark.
It wasn't close? You sure you got the right paint though?
Here is the stock interior trim sitting on top of my Camry. I bought the OEM toyota paint pen from Ebay, and used that for my car as well as two other members.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #123
Jocoo26

I'm sure it was the right paint. It is 1b2 antique sage pearl just like you said. Sage is a shade of green. The trim is as silver as you can get. It does even look the same in your picture. Lol. It needs to be EXACT. ANY difference and it is noticeable on the trim.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #124
skuttduck

Quote:
I'm sure it was the right paint. It is 1b2 antique sage pearl just like you said. Sage is a shade of green. The trim is as silver as you can get. It does even look the same in your picture. Lol. It needs to be EXACT. ANY difference and it is noticeable on the trim.
Well I'm not sure what the issue is then, since you said it yourself. It does look the same in my picture, and I've used it on 2 other members dash panels.

It could be the paint was changed for the 2011 slightly. Or did you buy the switchblade silver accessory panels?

Also matching a metallic silver/gray has been a real pain for me. I have midnight silver, and bavarian silver for touchup on the rims. (2 sets of rims) Even though the color sample is a match, only one of the chips I touched up matched "good enough"

I did manage to touch up the RJT tricoat really good with the paintscratch.com paint pens.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #125
Jocoo26

Quote:
It does even look the same in your picture. Lol. It needs to be EXACT. ANY difference and it is noticeable on the trim.
That was a typo. I was trying to say that is does not look EXACT in the picture. As fas as the switchblade silver, I have no idea. That's the problem, I don't know how to find out what the color or color code is. From your picture, my trim looks to be the same color as yours, but different from your car.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #126
skuttduck

You aren't doing something silly like painting the front of your panels are you?

When I did touch up and looked at it in person it sure was a match for me. I see no green in it, and paintscratch lists the color name from my 10 year camry as Gray Pearl Metallic clearcoat.

I've never tried the duplicolor bottles. I've only used OEM toyota paintpen on the GM trim and the Camry. I've also used a spray can of "plastikote" on the Camry when I installed the OEM fogs and had to paint the bezels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories