Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I had an MGW in my 04 cobra and I knew that when they made one for the Camaro I would get one. Hands down they are the best shifter I have ever had. I think you will be very pleased at how smooth it can be I will say that there does seem to be a "break-in" period and it may appear a little stiff to begin with, but in no time you will be grinning!!

Crowley
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
I love mine!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
My MGW shifter is fantastic. I do not have any notchy problems with my transmission or MGW shifter.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
BWood

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
If you have the typical 2-3 notchy shift with the stock shifter then a short throw will make it even more pronounced. Like someone mentioned earlier, that is a transmission issue, not a shifter issue. I do agree that the stock shifter is a joke (which is why I changed mine) but a short throw will do nothing to fix the crunch. From everything that I have read, the cones on the syncros need a good amount of friction to line the gears up right for a "clean" shift. Higher RPM between shifts seems to be the only solution.
If you are thinking about going the "change the tranny fluid" route, then that might pay you some dividends. I have tried Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline and of coarse the factory stuff and the only one that made a positive difference was Redline. The Mobil 1 was almost identical to the Redline but good luck finding it. Apparantly not a very popular item so a lot of stores don't carry it. All of the above fluids helped, but didn't solve the problem.
As far as shifters go, the MGW is well worth the money for what you get, but I didn't like how stiff it was. 3-2 was a big issue for me. It got better with time but still wasn't what I was looking for. Most of the other ones are just a stick replacemect which worked out great for me. The feel was great, just a lot of rattle. I tried Barton, Hurst, and ATI and they all rattled so I just went with the cheapest one which was Barton. Dave has come up with a lot of options so if you Google Barton Industries I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
It seems to me that until GM finally accepts this as a legitimite problem then ALL of us with this issue are going to have to live with it or go with something else. I am a lifelong Camaro fan but the new Charger is lookin' real sweet to me right now!

Just Sayin'
BWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
booenson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
I have no qualms about my car except for the lousy 2-3 shift, but unless GM or Tremec step up to fix this problem, it doesnt look like theres much we can do. Some people have reported that changing the fluid fixed the problem while others have said it made it even worse.

As much as I'd like to buy the MGW right now I think its wise to hold off till GM (hopefully) does something about this. No doubt theyll blame the notchiness on an aftermarket shifter then refuse to do any warranty work if a fix does arrive.
booenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 AM   #20
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by booenson View Post
I'm very interested in getting the MGW shifter as I find the stock shifter absolute garbage but my problem is the nibble from 2-3. A good amount of the time I'll hit a notch about midway point between neutral and 3, which is pretty damn annoying considering every other gear is smooth.

Can anyone chime in if the MGW shifter will get rid of this problem or perhaps even make it worse? Something tells me the nibble just might be because of the sloppy stock shifter.
If you have that typical crunchy shift then It will become more pronounced after replacing the factory one.

After having the clutch, actuator, and 2nd gear pack replaced, there was never a mention of the shifter causing the problem.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #21
Hwystr
GM Millwright

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6, Lingenfelter
Without a doubt the MGW shifter is one of the best mods you can do. And if you like it when it's new you will love it after about a month when the springs get broken in a bit.
Hwystr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
One of the best mods that I have done to Pumpkin.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
I'm considering selling my MGW, (Only 4 months old/2000miles) It is a great product and operates as designed, BUT my camaro is my DD and the centering spring is very stiff (which is great for going through the gears) but it wears me out in the constant stop and go traffic i deal with. If anybody is interested send me a PM and i can get pictures and see about the price.
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
MGW

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by faSSt View Post
I'm considering selling my MGW, (Only 4 months old/2000miles) It is a great product and operates as designed, BUT my camaro is my DD and the centering spring is very stiff (which is great for going through the gears) but it wears me out in the constant stop and go traffic i deal with. If anybody is interested send me a PM and i can get pictures and see about the price.
you may want to try using a taller knob to give you more mechanical leverage. i can make you a taller handle to use.

george
MGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGW View Post
you may want to try using a taller knob to give you more mechanical leverage. i can make you a taller handle to use.

george
Good idea, that might do the trick. I really like the MGW it's just too stiff for my DD. Do you have a pic of what the taller handle would look like?

Im not sure if your saying just raising up the stock one or a new knob?

Thanks George.
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Installed my MGW shifter about 8 months ago on the advice of Vengeance Racing and I have the stock knob. I absolutely love it. Shifts are firm and positive although as discussed the centering spring is a little stiff but since it is not a daily driver it's ok by me. I really didn't like the round white knobs is why I stuck with the stock knob ( personal preference) but was told that it would make it easier.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Just got my MGW installed yesterday (Thanks Rodgers Chevrolet) and still have the notchiness in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Like others, it's not as pronounced when warmed up, but the shifter did nothing to make it better.

As for the shifter itself - it's definitely taking some getting used to, it's centering springs are VERY stiff, much stiffer than stock - so much so that I missed one of my first 1->2 shifts under load because I was so used to the soft springs on the stock shifter. I got the racing knob and really like that as well, looks good, feels good. So far, well worth the $.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I just installed an MGW shifter. The hardest part for me was putting the bushings in the arms... My car is currently under construction and the exhaust is off and that made a huge difference in access. I had no issues at all using the hex key to pop the pins out of the tranny.

My question is: is it me or does it seem like 1st and Reverse don't seem to engage as much as the other gears. Due to my car not running, I could only row through the gears sitting in the garage. For a bit, I didn't feel I was able to get it into Reverse at all. I kept messing with it and realized it just doesn't seem to have as positive as an engagement as the other gears.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote