Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
New mod to add to the to do list - better brakes!

Okay I'm tired of my brakes rusting and either freezing up or very nearly so making severe grinding sounds the first few times I apply them after a wash or rain! Now begins the research to find better brakes that won't rust so badly or make so much dust & noise. Suggestions?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I would look at JDP motorsports CTS-V brake package upgrade. If you're going to upgrade calipers, rotors, and pads, then the CTS-V kit is probably the cheapest option out there.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Call Jordan at JDP on Monday.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Any semi-metallic pad will do what you're describing after getting wet. Ceramics would do better in that regard and be near zero dusting but won't provide better braking than stock; they'll be about the same. It sounds like you're only interested in aesthetics so ceramic pads and zinc plated rotors would be all you need if your rotors are rusting as well.

Performance pads or slotted rotors are more likely to make noise.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There is no solution to rotors rusting. I don't want to use these words, but.... They all do it.

How many miles are on your LT1?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There is no solution to rotors rusting. I don't want to use these words, but.... They all do it.

How many miles are on your LT1?
within a few hundred mi of rolling over 30,000
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That is just the nature of stock rotors. The only solution is a set of aftermarket rotors with EDP surface coating but that isn't cheap.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
I was looking into Hawk pads to replace for the dust issue, but lots of folks here have been complaining about squeaking even after proper bedding. I'm still undecided. For the rotors, I think we all just have to live with that.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
I was looking into Hawk pads to replace for the dust issue, but lots of folks here have been complaining about squeaking even after proper bedding. I'm still undecided. For the rotors, I think we all just have to live with that.
There are a lot of things that can contribute to brake squeal that are not necessarily directly attributable to the pads or the break in. NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) issues due to something being loose or debris being present are often to blame. For best results when you install new pads be sure to:
  • Turn / machine the rotors
  • Wash and dry the rotor to clear debris
  • Install the pads securely and according to instruction
  • Properly bed-in the pads according to the manufacturer's instruction
  • Apply a thin layer of a silicone compound anti-squeal brake lube on the back of the brake pads
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
I would look at JDP motorsports CTS-V brake package upgrade. If you're going to upgrade calipers, rotors, and pads, then the CTS-V kit is probably the cheapest option out there.
She actually have a V6 the cheapest option would be SS brakes since she isn't beating on her car hard enough to require CTS-V brakes. Yes rotors do rust anyway so no fix for that maybe Ceramic brake rotors 9Gs out of her pocket . Both L99 and my current LS3 SS brakes has no issues what so ever except dust. Hawk HPS fixes that.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
within a few hundred mi of rolling over 30,000
Ruby, do you have a shop you trust?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote