Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #113
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
6th Gen Camaro will likely be based on a modified version of the Alpha RWD platform that underpins the ATS. Much like the 5th Gen being based on a modified Zeta. Drivetrain options won't necessarily be platform specific but rather application specific.
what do you think are the difference between ZETA & ZETA II?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #114
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
While I think there will be a 5th gen Z28, it's all just speculation. If not a few years from now this forum could just morph into 6th Gen speculation.
I'm with you there, we still have 2 model years left of unannounced changes.
We may even get some gen V motors at the end.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #115
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I was reading an article on the development of the new 302 the blue oval boys get and I am actually kind of jealous of how much it seemed like the engineers got to run over the bean counters on that one..their development team even consisted of two guys involved with the original 302 engine. Besides the fact they squeezed out 444hp out of 5 liters and bests our 6.2L by 18hp it also stays true to the high winding road course motor from their past? If our GM performance parts gurus were able to have a go at it, I am sure we would have something to be proud of too
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #116
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I want to see a Z/28 from GM with a smaller displacement (lighter weight) D.I. V8 with high output (no forced induction), upgraded suspension with Pedder's bushings but no magnetic sci-fi stuff like the ZL1 has, with 6 piston front brakes, full working gauges that are easy to see at a glance, built-in support for 5-point harness and performance seats. Basically the next step up from the 1LE but with serious attention to weight reduction throughout the car so it doesn't need 580 hp to move it quickly.

Tow hook mounts standard. Mounts for in-cabin fire extinguisher. I know they're going to do the 20" rims because that's the fashion but make light 19's an option anyways. Genuine brake cooling ducting for the front brakes and while we're at it; make the rear gills functional for rear brake cooling too.

And just for some electronic fun, put cameras in the front and back that can record to an SD card you can insert into a slot on the dash so you can record your laps. Incorporate electronics that can give you telemetry while on the track of the car's performance; lap times, g-forces, braking, acceleration, etc. and make that data record to the SD card too so it visually matches the track. Make it possible to download official tracks to your car so all the telemetry and data can sync to it.

Get serious about this car GM; make it a track car you can drive on the street, not a street car with a track package. Make it....legendary.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #117
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I want to see a Z/28 from GM with a smaller displacement (lighter weight) D.I. V8 with high output (no forced induction), upgraded suspension with Pedder's bushings but no magnetic sci-fi stuff like the ZL1 has, with 6 piston front brakes, full working gauges that are easy to see at a glance, built-in support for 5-point harness and performance seats. Basically the next step up from the 1LE but with serious attention to weight reduction throughout the car so it doesn't need 580 hp to move it quickly.

Tow hook mounts standard. Mounts for in-cabin fire extinguisher. I know they're going to do the 20" rims because that's the fashion but make light 19's an option anyways. Genuine brake cooling ducting for the front brakes and while we're at it; make the rear gills functional for rear brake cooling too.

And just for some electronic fun, put cameras in the front and back that can record to an SD card you can insert into a slot on the dash so you can record your laps. Incorporate electronics that can give you telemetry while on the track of the car's performance; lap times, g-forces, braking, acceleration, etc. and make that data record to the SD card too so it visually matches the track. Make it possible to download official tracks to your car so all the telemetry and data can sync to it.

Get serious about this car GM; make it a track car you can drive on the street, not a street car with a track package. Make it....legendary.
I would just hope the Z28 is as well done and can perform as well as your car. Awesome.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #118
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Facts are. GM does not do upgrades on engines. They introduce another engine model. It's too late in the game for that with the Swan song coming for the LS family and the advent of the DI in two years (for the Camaro). GM has done a stage two upgrade before, and that is the only viable alternative for HP increase from the factory for the LSA. Otherwise, it's dance with with who brought you for all other models. Certification smoke and mirror ploys can be done for example as done with the V6 where a power increase was shown when in reality there was nothing done to the motor. It's a forgone conclusion by what I understand there will be a Z28 in the final days of the Gen5. The groundwork has been layed by the 2013 1LE, and demonstrated in earnest by the L28 project. It's the LS7. The 6 OG have argued 'tll the cows come home, along with Pete, that this can be done within an acceptable price range. Through my conversations the word Z28 raises no questions marks. It's a matter of when, not if. And to me, from my intuition, I think when will be sooner than the nay sayers perceive.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #119
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Facts are. GM does not do upgrades on engines. They introduce another engine model. It's too late in the game for that with the Swan song coming for the LS family and the advent of the DI in two years (for the Camaro). GM has done a stage two upgrade before, and that is the only viable alternative for HP increase from the factory for the LSA. Otherwise, it's dance with with who brought you for all other models. Certification smoke and mirror ploys can be done for example as done with the V6 where a power increase was shown when in reality there was nothing done to the motor. It's a forgone conclusion by what I understand there will be a Z28 in the final days of the Gen5. The groundwork has been layed by the 2013 1LE, and demonstrated in earnest by the L28 project. It's the LS7. The 6 OG have argued 'tll the cows come home, along with Pete, that this can be done within an acceptable price range. Through my conversations the word Z28 raises no questions marks. It's a matter of when, not if. And to me, from my intuition, I think when will be sooner than the nay sayers perceive.
Yes! I believe a Q1 2013 announcement. Take it from a 1 of 6 OG to another.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #120
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:

Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #121
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

And from another OG, by George I think you've hit the nail on the head (yet again!), that would be exactly what I would expect GM to do at this point in time.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #122
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I would be disappointed if they do a Z/28 on the 5th gen platform. It's too heavy. I can tell by the electric steering, clutch, trans, drivetrain, rear suspension geometry of the ZL1 and 1LE that they're going to school gradually on where they're going to be in a few years time. The Z/28 needs to be one of the 6th gen models. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have one "in the works" inside one of their Area 51 type buildings.

Ford isn't waiting to see what GM does before they decide to do something; they're working on their's already. GM needs to move ahead and debut the Z28 with the 6th gen and hopefully sometime next year as a model year 2014; not come out with a Z/28 as the last dying breath of the 5th gen platform. The Z/28 should just rule on the track; period.

GM is losing money as a company so the success of the Camaro needs to be the focus by keeping it fresh and "leading edge" instead of slowly strangling it with "packages" until it's just a mule with a package-of-the-month hanging on it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #123
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Gm is losing money? I thought they were in the black after becoming government motors
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #124
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Yeah I'm under the impression that GM is doing fairly well these days.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #125
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
From NYDaily news:

GM reported June US sales of 248,750 vehicles, up 16 percent from a year ago and the company's highest monthly sales since September 2008. Divisions Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac all reported double-digit increases.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #126
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

http://news.investors.com/article/61...hares-fall.htm

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...n-head-mess-/1

I was thinking in overall terms; it's European holdings aren't making money and we the taxpayers are losing relative to the bailout. They're doing better in the U.S.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM