Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #127
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
I have not seen where he says it is pushed back so I can only assume you mean further out as in not available at launch.

It has always been my understanding that there will be a Z28, just not at launch. the "Z28" moniker is as recognized as the Camaro name.
I didn't mean pushed back. it's always been the understanding of those that loved and wanted a z28 on this forum that it was going to be like a year later. but on camaroz28.com he states "Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Scott,
will there be info on the Z28 in the upcoming July 22nd dealers presentation?

Probably not -- it's a while out yet."

link http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...618923&page=14

post 199.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #128
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This is why speculation can be dangerous. When we expect very specific things, we tend to get let down some of the time. I, however, still believe that some sort of performance Camaro will exist on the same tier as the Corvette ZR1. On the bright side, we get more than 400 horses in a manual. We are barely following the Corvette. Just a tune will change that. The SS strategy means that people who wanted a base V8 also get a top V8, and that top V8 beats all of the muscle car competition.

This brings up the Corvette problem. Because the Z06 has 505 horsepower and rocks the LS7, there is no reason to believe that a super Camaro will have more horsepower than a performance Corvette. If that were the case, then the Corvette would have to be faster. A high-performance Camaro would be different. Since the ZR1 is even faster than the Z06, a Camaro ZL1 would be able to play hardball with more horsepower than a Z06 if released. The problem with this idea is that the ZR1 audience is the same as the ZL1 audience—people who like ridiculously fast cars and exotics, usually Ferraris and Lamborghinis. While the Camaro would look different, it would be limited by Corvette ZR1 performance. Passing the Corvette on the track would endanger the status of the Corvette on the Chevy totem pole.

From a business perspective, this move is consistent with the corporate structure of Chevrolet. Now, the Camaro has all the ordinary trims except for the LTZ. Apparently, the RS is the appearance difference between a V6 and a V8 except for the mail slot at the front. Chevrolet does well to stay organized this way. Hopefully this does not mean that the Z06 will become SS in the future. That would be bad for the Corvette's heritage.

I guarantee there is in-fighting over the Z28 issue. From a business perspective, the Z28 impedes the SS as a top tier and confuses an otherwise organized system of labeling cars. From a traditional Chevy fan's perspective, losing the Z28 is like losing a friend. I wouldn't count it out yet, though. Whoever wanted GM to build the ZR1 is still there, loving cars and performance in the same way we do. That is why I'm not concerned about the Camaro's future. If we don't see a Z28 ever again, we'll still see a Camaro that beats all of the competition.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #129
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I didn't mean pushed back. it's always been the understanding of those that loved and wanted a z28 on this forum that it was going to be like a year later. but on camaroz28.com he states "Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350
Scott,
will there be info on the Z28 in the upcoming July 22nd dealers presentation?

Probably not -- it's a while out yet."

link http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...618923&page=14

post 199.

what I take from that is there will be no info released right now since it is a year out, just like we have not received any info specific to the Vert.
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #130
ChrisL

Drives: 2000 Firehawk #295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I don't like having to register to yet another forum to view a post. Thanks for the quote though.
why not? 9 of the 15 disciples are acitve members there. might learn something new. never know.

ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #131
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
why not? 9 of the 15 disciples are acitve members there. might learn something new. never know.

Because I will probably never check there again. This is really the only camaro board I frequent.

Here,
Shoryuken.com
world of warcraft guild's forums

are the only 3 forums I check regularly.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #132
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
and late to the game but it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in this situation. scott stated it was down the road for info on the Z28. and she says no z28. . .so now ask the question is it down the road and she might give a different answer. probably the question was about launch trim levels.

she did NOT say there would be no Z28..........once again, one of us has been misquoted.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #133
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
I think everyone needs to take a step back here for a moment.

I am actually kind of amazed at what I am seeing here. We have all been hoping and praying for the new Camaro. When someone said it might be canceled it was like a Chinese fire drill with people screaming from the rooftops with megaphones about how they were wrong and so on and so forth. When someone would swoop in and make some offhand comment about GM canceling something or implementing a dramatic “unwanted” change we would swoop in and backhand them before they could complete their sentience. We would defend those we knew to be from GM with a force of purpose and solidarity that was almost zealot in nature. We debated every picture, dissected every word, and brewed over every article only to come to the same consensus every time. And yes some showed more passion then others over the course of these discussions, but in the end we all seemed to agree that the Camaro was coming back and the world was as it should be.

Now fast forward one announcement and it would seem that the world is coming to an end for some. Somewhere along the line it seems that some of us here somehow felt that we were entitled to a specific badge on this beautiful car. And anything less means all out rejection of this car. That this is somehow any less of a work of art, a thing of beauty, and something to behold only because one cannot obtain a certain badge on the vehicle. Where along the line did I miss the part about how we are entitled to a Z28. That they are required to manufacturer one. That history demands they produce one? Where the car that they are going to manufacturer is anything less then extraordinary because they have not said they will make one yet?

I realize and understand the passion here that people have over this vehicle, believe you me I do, but it is this sense of entitlement that has me disturbed. Saying well they did not announce a Z28 today so screw them I am going to go buy X instead to me sounds a lot like a tantrum because you did not get your way. Like anything in life you are always going to want what you cannot have. First it was the Camaro. Well now that you can almost touch that it is no longer good enough. Now you want a Z28. And what if they make the Z28? Are you going to want a return of the 502? I mean where does it stop.

I understand the disappointment but I really think that some here have lost sight of what was important for all of these years while we waited with baited breath. Why we have this passion in the first place. Why we have sat here and posted over and over again debating even things as trivial as the colors of the gauges or the placement of the gas cap. I think that some have lost sight of the fact that the Camaro has finally returned and it is an outstanding piece of engineering that will have all who drive it grinning from ear to ear.

*getting off soapbox*

Thank you! The voice of REASON!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #134
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
what I take from that is there will be no info released right now since it is a year out, just like we have not received any info specific to the Vert.
I highly doubt that the convertible will be any different from the information we already have. Expect the same motors and options. I think they just have to build the frame differently.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #135
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I have some old Z28 badges laying around someplace
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #136
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I have some old Z28 badges laying around someplace
so do I. but I'm not slapping them on a car that doesn't deserve it. if it's an SS it's an SS. if it's an RS/SS then it's an RS/SS. but doesn't mean it's worth a Z28 moniker.

maybe if I drop a carbon fiber hood and deck lid on it along with other light weight parts, strip the interior and add power I could slap them on there. but. . .yea.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #137
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
If this is true, I feel let down. It seems as though the Camaro enthusiast may have to continue to take a back seat to the Corvette. Where we are forced to accept limited performance assets so as not to step on the toes of the more expensive Corvette. In part of the article, CP reference attracting new buyers that may not be familiar with the history of the Camaro. Think about it, for those customers, they could careless if there was a Z-28 or not.

What is sooo disappointing to me would be the fact that we all know GM has the 500+ hp powertrain that can placed in a real-top dawg Camaro. While 400+hp is not too bad, I would feel short changed. Honestly, I don't really care if it is called a Z-28 or not, but it seems to me what is being offered for the powertrain in the SS - Manual, is essentially the same thing that was in the GTO.

I am still a fan of the new design, but I feel as though GM is capable of doing so much more, especially on such an iconic car.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #138
fbodfather

OK -- everybody --

CALM DOWN!!!!!

Has ANYONE noted the articles about GM and Ford and Chrysler in the past couple of weeks? Has anyone noticed what's happened to the retail automobile business?

The bottom line is that the auto world is changing -- in fact, you COULD say we just had an earthquake.

NOw -- I've said this several times -- on several forums -- so please -- pay attention..........

Every product program is being looked at. We (the big three) MUST look at every program - because if we don't - (well.......I don't even want to think of what the future might be if we didn't ........)

The Z28 is not dead. We have not announced when this nameplate may be back. I'll say -- as I have continued to say -- HAVE FAITH.

On an interesting sidenote: you'd be surprised as to the number of people who have called me wanting to do some 'high performance' Camaros. (go look at some of the stuff that was created in 2000 to 2002.......)

Now -- some of you say "well.......I don't want to buy an SS and then have the Z28 come out....." -- and to you I say "do you REALLY believe that we'll suddenly 'plateau' -- and that what you buy will be the 'end all?'......

Keep the faith, my friends - keep the faith.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #139
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
OK -- everybody --

CALM DOWN!!!!!

Has ANYONE noted the articles about GM and Ford and Chrysler in the past couple of weeks? Has anyone noticed what's happened to the retail automobile business?

The bottom line is that the auto world is changing -- in fact, you COULD say we just had an earthquake.

NOw -- I've said this several times -- on several forums -- so please -- pay attention..........

Every product program is being looked at. We (the big three) MUST look at every program - because if we don't - (well.......I don't even want to think of what the future might be if we didn't ........)

The Z28 is not dead. We have not announced when this nameplate may be back. I'll say -- as I have continued to say -- HAVE FAITH.

On an interesting sidenote: you'd be surprised as to the number of people who have called me wanting to do some 'high performance' Camaros. (go look at some of the stuff that was created in 2000 to 2002.......)

Now -- some of you say "well.......I don't want to buy an SS and then have the Z28 come out....." -- and to you I say "do you REALLY believe that we'll suddenly 'plateau' -- and that what you buy will be the 'end all?'......

Keep the faith, my friends - keep the faith.
Thank you.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #140
RB43TD
Me Likey My Camaro

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 1LT/RS Camaro
Too be honest, I could care less if there's a Z28, SS, RS, BS, V6, V8, V3578. What totally had me entranced with this car from day one was the body of the concept car itself and the unique interior. And to now know that in just a little less than a year I'm going to be able to have something that beautiful in my drive way that looks almost identical to that concept is amazing to me. When you think about how many final products look nothing like the concept, it just astounds me how close the Camaro team kept it. I've said it before and i'll say it again...in my opinion, this is a homerun.