Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Drove to detroit to the see the camaro, Impressions

Well, i go to school in erie, pa. and we had monday of for MLK day. So i thought why not go on a little road trip to detroit with some friends. Anyways, i was very impressed by the camaro, everyone that says it looks better in person is right, it just seams like its so well proportioned and every line is in the right spot, my grilfriend was amazed by how awesome it looks. Also we got to sit in it, the seats are VERY comfortable, no one will be able to complain about that, but they are alittle soft. I wouldent mind them being alittle harder and supportive but im young, maybe if i was older i would want the comfort over the stiffness, the seats felt just like the challenger i sat in if that helps for comparison, but softer than a mustang. Still nothing I would complain about. Also the dash is mostly hard textured plastic, not soft like some of the more luxury cars i sat in. but still better than the mustang and challenger that have hard plastic with no texture at all. Everything you actually touch however feels awesome, the doors, steering wheel, shifter. Overall it feels very good quality, even the hard plastic dash feels good quality, and firm. not squeaky and plasticy like older gm cars. I sat in the back seat and its actually really comfortable, im only 5' 8" but its about the same as my 98 camaro with more comfortable seats. Also they guy pointed out the ambient lighting to me, but said he had no key to show it, he even showed me where you can turn it on with the dimmer switch. You can see the clear area around the door panels edge where the light comes through, and he told me it works. Overall I'm really impressed. the car is awesome, and after comparing it to the challengers and mustangs at the show, the decision to get the camaro is easy. O and it had the most attention of any car at the show, the only car that I saw that had a line to get into the entire time I was there. So that cant be a bad thing.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
Well, i go to school in erie, pa. and we had monday of for MLK day. So i thought why not go on a little road trip to detroit with some friends. Anyways, i was very impressed by the camaro, everyone that says it looks better in person is right, it just seams like its so well proportioned and every line is in the right spot, my grilfriend was amazed by how awesome it looks. Also we got to sit in it, the seats are VERY comfortable, no one will be able to complain about that, but they are alittle soft. I wouldent mind them being alittle harder and supportive but im young, maybe if i was older i would want the comfort over the stiffness, the seats felt just like the challenger i sat in if that helps for comparison, but softer than a mustang. Still nothing I would complain about. Also the dash is mostly hard textured plastic, not soft like some of the more luxury cars i sat in. but still better than the mustang and challenger that have hard plastic with no texture at all. Everything you actually touch however feels awesome, the doors, steering wheel, shifter. Overall it feels very good quality, even the hard plastic dash feels good quality, and firm. not squeaky and plasticy like older gm cars. I sat in the back seat and its actually really comfortable, im only 5' 8" but its about the same as my 98 camaro with more comfortable seats. Also they guy pointed out the ambient lighting to me, but said he had no key to show it, he even showed me where you can turn it on with the dimmer switch. You can see the clear area around the door panels edge where the light comes through, and he told me it works. Overall I'm really impressed. the car is awesome, and after comparing it to the challengers and mustangs at the show, the decision to get the camaro is easy. O and it had the most attention of any car at the show, the only car that I saw that had a line to get into the entire time I was there. So that cant be a bad thing.
That's really cool because I thought the opposite about the Challenger. It does look really good but I had a more powerful feeling seeing it in pictures before I went to look at one. (Not to buy of course)
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Very nice writeup, CD. Thanks! Glad to hear you were so positively impressed with the car, even compared to the competition. Wish I could have been there myself.
Could you explain controlling the ambient lighting in more detail. Does intensity appear variable?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
everyone that says it looks better in person is right
Told ya so.

(not you specifically, but in general)
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBiker220 View Post
everyone that says it looks better in person is right
Someday I will see if this is true. I have yet to see it in person :(
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
I really wish I could have gone to the Detroit Show. I went to the L.A. show twice just because I didn't get enough Camaro. In person this car is simply awe inspiring.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Yea im so happy i went to see it in person. For some reason the production car didnt strike me as hard as the concept did. I guess the small changes took away some of the awe, but when i saw it in person, i realized it was actually perfect. Even the stripes ending at the end of the hood, in pictures i didnt like it, but when i saw it in person i realized it looks better that way. Just little things that pictures can mislead you, that in person you see that it was perfect all along. Very good job by the design crew.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
Indeed.....it did attract the biggest crowd around it of any other car in the show. I did'nt bring my camera because I figured there would be too many people in the way of getting a good shot anyway (sorry folks). As it turns out I would have been able to get a few shots because the crowd was very polite and co-operative with the other camera buffs. The other pics on the site represent it very well though.
And yes, the interior was great and comfortable. It made the Challenger feel like a cheap POS after sitting in the Camaro. Some things never change since 1970 huh?

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
As odd as it sounds...The most surprising thing for me when I saw the vehicle....

(As stated, yes pictures do no justice)...Even my girlfriend who is the absolute OPPOSITE of a "car person" ...saw the vehicle and immediately wanted to trade her vehicle in for a V6 based on the exterior and interior appeal. That has GOT to be a good thing for GM. I am torn between...for one I want everyone to have a camaro and GM to succeed especially being a stock holder...the child inside of me says I WANT THE ONLY CAMARO IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!! hahaha
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Exclamation

I'll see it at the Washington, D.C. show. I can't wait!

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
As odd as it sounds...The most surprising thing for me when I saw the vehicle....

(As stated, yes pictures do no justice)...Even my girlfriend who is the absolute OPPOSITE of a "car person" ...saw the vehicle and immediately wanted to trade her vehicle in for a V6 based on the exterior and interior appeal. That has GOT to be a good thing for GM. I am torn between...for one I want everyone to have a camaro and GM to succeed especially being a stock holder...the child inside of me says I WANT THE ONLY CAMARO IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!! hahaha
Same thing happened with my wife. She gets tired of me talking Camaro and showing her pictures all day everyday but when we saw it in person she finally understood and apologized to me!! lol

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Told ya so.

(not you specifically, but in general)

I can't wait for my first time....I think that makes me a virgin. I told my wife I could be one again......

So waiting patiently..........I need to get my garage ready this winter.....she has a bay all to herself. and will have a black and white checker board floor.... I will send pics when it is all ready.