Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
fradaj

Drives: RS
Stock brakes are actually very good on the street, but I saw a video of a guy using a LS to practice with on track and he had to quit because of the smell of the brakes he said. They were also smoking heavily after he got out of the car. I believe it was his rental car.

Check out video at 4:40

Last edited by fradaj; 05-29-2015 at 06:00 PM.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #16
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Go check out my topics in the LFX forum.

Your V6 stock OEM will get fired on the first few track sessions.

Your suspension will need a 1LE suspension (or similar aftermarket) upgrade or you'll be sliding around the corners.

Have fun....once I stated modding my 13' V6 I never stopped...ended with just trading the V6 in for the ZL1 I own now. Much difference experience at the Auto Club Speedway last week. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post
remember not to use your parking brake. Just put it in gear when you park and you'll be fine.
Can you explain? I always set mine when I park..
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #18
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
I have a set 20inch BFG Comp2 tires on 8.5 inch wide wheels, Powerstop Evolution Z23 Pads & Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake lines, V6 Stock Calipers, and DOT 4 Brake Fluid. Plus modified suspension. Haven't been to the track out here, but my car brakes hold up fine doing canyon runs on the weekends. May do Brembos before I go to the track if I don't trade up for a SS next year.

You may want to upgrade your rotors, pads, and brake fluid. Then just watch your car when doing laps.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #19
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamRamRo View Post
Due to the brakes being hot and cooling off. You may wear your emergency parking brake shoes down quicker.
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #20
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Track fever? Have you tried more cowbell? I hear that's a cure for some fevers.
"I'm telling you. Your gonna want that Cowbell!"
Old 05-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #21
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Go check out my topics in the LFX forum.

Your V6 stock OEM will get fired on the first few track sessions.

Your suspension will need a 1LE suspension (or similar aftermarket) upgrade or you'll be sliding around the corners.

Have fun....once I stated modding my 13' V6 I never stopped...ended with just trading the V6 in for the ZL1 I own now. Much difference experience at the Auto Club Speedway last week. lol
Did you ever go supercharged on your 6? I don't remember.

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #22
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamRamRo View Post
Good habit to get into. Your brakes will be hot and setting the parking brake could make them stick or even warp rotors.

Also - First time I went out I didn't torque down my lugs... Almost was a very bad day.
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #23
Kyrac0103
Kyrac

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
I drive a 2013 V6 LS with a few mods, have done a couple track days with stock tires & rims but I did change my brake fluid to DOT4 and did the clutch/brake reservoir split... I run the tires about 10 PSI low and have had very little problems on the track... I don't push my car to the max (very rarely ever hit 6000 RPM) because I do have to drive it home but if you are careful you can have a successful session with your stocks tires...

Read some of the racing forums and especially the one on getting ready for track days and you should be fine, enjoy it!!!
Kyrac0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #24
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
I was never comfortable enough to go out there with the stock tires. I did do autocross with them and they sucked.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #25
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
OP I think all this info on this thread so far is on point. Wether the general consensus is to upgrade or get used to your stock set up first. It's important to trust what you are comfortable doing! Last thing I'd wanna do is take advice from a forum and end up having a bad day at the track because of it. I find the community here to be very helpful though. Even though I'm in the camp of upgrading at least your rubber and pads/rotors first, you can still have fun on factory parts. Just be sure to respect the limit of your car and you'll have a blast!

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 AM   #26
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
I took my V6 to the track a few times, the wheels and tires (p-zeros that came with the car) did alright, when I got the pressure dialled in they preformed much better than I expected. As for the brakes, the only stock part remaining are the callipers and the brakes overall were pretty weak, but not dangerously so. My braking points were pretty consistent and lasted over a 15 minute session on a 2Km track with a top speed of about 160KM/h. I was very careful to let the car cool after every run, hood up and parking brake off too. The Car ran like a champ. The best part is going to the track, driving on the track and then going home all in the same car! Add on taking my wife out to a fancy dinner later on in the day in the car, I'd say the Camaro in general is pretty versatile! *Sorry its all in metric, but my Camaro and I are not in the states...
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #27
bmcquill

Drives: 2014 1LS
Okay thanks, this was very helpful. I decided to wait until I have some more money for brakes, tires, and rotors.
bmcquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #28
sterlingRPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Be sure to change the brake fluid before you go. Any water in the system will boil and your pedal will go to the floor, and you'll have to use the run off at the big turn at the end of the straight, they will throw out the yellow flag well you try to turn your boat around, your boss will zip by you well laughing, and you'll have to hear about it everyday until you go to the track again to redeem yourself.

Learn from my pain.
sterlingRPI is offline   Reply With Quote