Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
SERVED_USMC

Drives: Slow
Temporary crank pressure evac setup questions.

So, I put the new 416 in with my ECS YSi setup in the car. I made the mistake of not putting the breather oil cap back on about the 3rd drive through town. After getting into the boost a little I started pushing oil past the rear main seal (seal is in tact). I drained the oil as a precautionary measure. It slowly drained the first quart until I opened the oil cap. It immediately drew a vacuum and drained the rest of the oil.

Im planning on the RX Monster can setup, but need to get some break in miles in before hand. So here is the current setup and the question with my temporary solution.

I have the regular RX catch can. My plan is to route one line from the valve cover with a T to the valley pan and then into the can. The other line with the check valve I plan on running to the barb in between the intake and the TB and the breather on the cap. With my limited knowledge of the PCV system this seems like it would relieve crank case pressure and take any captured mists or vapors and send them back to be burnt off.

Again, Im no expert. If someone has some better first hand knowledge of if this will work please let me know.
SERVED_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
With that motor and power you are going to have big crankcase pressure. No way around it. I was running a filtered oil cap that i remove the check valve on. This way the pressure has a place to go.

That RX can will not relieve pressure. On a little OE motor with low boost no problems but on yours.....problems.

I just scrapped the RX monster and vent directly to a filtered/vented catch can. Yea, you can smell oil occasionally when getting on it but its a good smell to me. Not a daily driver either.

Call Mightymouse he will hook you up

ETA: remember, that 416 is probably built with a little looser tolerance on the rings etc than a factory motor so more crankcase pressure to get rid of.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
SERVED_USMC

Drives: Slow
Thanks, Bull. Ive got a email into MM to see what setup they suggest. I dont mind going whatever direction would be the best with the exception of a vacuum pump since I dont have the room.
SERVED_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote