Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
LuisTorres10

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Wink Stretched Wheels

Has anyone seen a camaro 2010 with stretched wheels?
If you have pics post some up please!!!
LuisTorres10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I assume you mean widened wheels. Here are a few links to get you started. Do a search under widened wheels and that will tell youu everything you need to know.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...widened+wheels

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Or is he talking about stretched tires, that seems to be a new fad going around (for some unknown reason!).
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
LuisTorres10

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LS
Yeah thats what I meant stretched tires. My bad. I was just curious on how they would look on a 2010 camaro.
LuisTorres10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
sneakypete
OOH..Sneaky, Sneaky!!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Personally i think it looks like you didnt take the time to research what tires actually fit your rims. Not to mention its not safe.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Ooooh, widened wheels. LOL.

I came in here looking to see some new procedure for "stretching" wheels

Anyway, I'm considering having mine widened sometime down the road. It's only "dangerous" if the shop you choose is incompetent. Choose carefully.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Ooooh, widened wheels. LOL.

I came in here looking to see some new procedure for "stretching" wheels

Anyway, I'm considering having mine widened sometime down the road. It's only "dangerous" if the shop you choose is incompetent. Choose carefully.
No Revo, he meant stretching the tire. Which means to put a smaller tire on a wider wheel.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
No Revo, he meant stretching the tire. Which means to put a smaller tire on a wider wheel.
And we all know that is not a smart nor safe idea, yes?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
And we all know that is not a smart nor safe idea, yes?
I personally wouldn't do it, but I have a few friends that have the "stretched" look. It is safe if done correctly and not overly exaggerated.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
I personally wouldn't do it, but I have a few friends that have the "stretched" look. It is safe if done correctly and not overly exaggerated.
How exactly is putting an improperly fitting tire on safe? Or how can you even do that correctly for that matter?

"If you correctly install the incorrect tires on your wheels...."
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
How exactly is putting an improperly fitting tire on safe? Or how can you even do that correctly for that matter?

"If you correctly install the incorrect tires on your wheels...."
So it's considered not "safe" because it's not on paper? Or because people are just too conservative?

Nothing has happened to either of my friend's cars or them. So I guess it is safe.

On the other hand,

Check out Stance Nation or State of Stance to see what the exaggerated look of a stretched tire is. Now that is too severe and dangerous.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
So it's considered not "safe" because it's not on paper? Or because people are just too conservative?

Nothing has happened to either of my friend's cars or them . So I guess it is safe.

On the other hand,

Check out Stance Nation or State of Stance to see what the exaggerated look of a stretched tire is. Now that is too severe and dangerous.
So, If I drive my car on tires so bald the steel is showing, is that safe just because nothing happens for awhile? Is it only dangerous once they blowout?

People are free to do it if they want, but we aren't going to advertise improper tires as being safe. It's just not.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
So, If I drive my car on tires so bald the steel is showing, is that safe just because nothing happens for awhile? Is it only dangerous once they blowout?

People are free to do it if they want, but we aren't going to advertise improper tires as being safe. It's just not.
Who said that people are going to be driving around with bald tires? You don't need to have stretched tires to be driving around with bald tires. That can happen to anyone if they don't change their tires when they're completely worn.

Now you're obviously going onto a different subject. Obviously when you stretch the tire and are running more aggressive camber then the tires are going to get bald faster.

Assuming that people are not that stupid, they will change their tires every so often.

Other than that, yes it is safe.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:

Nothing has happened to either of my friend's cars or them. So I guess it is safe.

On the other hand,

Uh no. It is considered not safe because a tire is constructed in a manner to "seat" the bead to the edge of the rim, over a "safety lip" (a raised ridge that runs completely around the rim near the base of the lip). This is designed to hold the tire on the wheel in lower pressure events and provide a measure of safety/retention until the problem can be addressed.

Even this is not infallible and continued running while under-inflated (or other duress) will cause the tire to separate from the wheel and go flat.

Now factor in this "stretched" installation which constantly pulls the tire away from the sealing edge of the rim and tries to pull the tire up and over the safety lip and you have a setup which in most eyes would be considered UNSAFE.