Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
JemSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 1993 Camaro Z28
Replacing Shocks/Struts

I have a 2010 Camaro 2SS with about 75,000 miles on it. It recently underwent an inspection and the mechanic is recommending replacing the shocks/struts as they appear worn.

I'm looking for replacement shocks/struts - I don't need/want anything fancy, as the car is mostly a DD.

Looking around online, it appears most places sell the shocks/strut as a whole assembly that also includes new springs. But I have a few questions:
  1. Do I need to replace the entire assembly or can I just replace the shocks/struts? Even if I can just replace the shocks/struts, is it best to replace the springs too?
  2. Do I need to keep/buy ACDelco springs to have "SS" springs? Or will any "OEM spec" spring be the same?
  3. Do you need a spring compressor to change just the shocks/struts?
  4. Is there anything unique about the SS shocks/struts/springs? Should I buy OEM/ACDelco replacements or is anything with "OEM Specs" essentially going to be the same? (Again, this is just a DD, so it doesn't need to be "perfect")

Last edited by JemSS; 12-17-2021 at 05:39 PM.
JemSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemSS View Post
I have a 2010 Camaro 2SS with about 75,000 miles on it. It recently underwent an inspection and the mechanic is recommending replacing the shocks/struts as they appear worn.

I'm looking for replacement shocks/struts - I don't need/want anything fancy, as the car is mostly a DD.

Looking around online, it appears most places sell the shocks/strut as a whole assembly that also includes new springs. But I have a few questions:
  1. Do I need to replace the entire assembly or can I just replace the shocks/struts? Even if I can just replace the shocks/struts, is it best to replace the springs too?
  2. Do I need to keep/buy ACDelco springs to have "SS" springs? Or will any "OEM spec" spring be the same?
  3. Do you need a spring compressor to change just the shocks/struts?
  4. Is there anything unique about the SS shocks/struts/springs? Should I buy OEM/ACDelco replacements or is anything with "OEM Specs" essentially going to be the same? (Again, this is just a DD, so it doesn't need to be "perfect")
You will not find new OEM SS springs anymore. They are discontinued. I replaced my stock struts on my '11 when I bought the car with coilovers and tossed all the leftovers. Now I'm on my 4th set of coilovers and was searching for OEM strut parts to use for them. While I was at it I thought down the road maybe I should gather the parts to put together complete stock struts, everywhere I went new OEM springs are not to be found. That being said, for a fresh ride I would replace the entire strut to get new springs. Doesn't sound like you are looking to lower, but you could get struts of your choice and lots of aftermarket lowering springs out there. Nothing special about the stock SS suspension, just make sure if you buy a complete strut it's meant for the 10-11 suspension. As for needing a spring compressor I've seen guys manhandle the strut to reassemble, but it's a lot easier with a compresser. You can rent one from Autozone. Check out RockAuto for struts. I was able to piece out some of the parts I needed from them.